Sign in to follow this  
titch

Help! I'm not sure what I'm doing...

Thank you ladies  :thumb:

I'll certainly check out All Pond Solutions... kinda hoping Santa might bring me an early Christmas present.

I would like you to do a Silver dip every day for a week. Get a 2 gallon container, place 3 drops in the water let the fish sit for 3-4 mins in the water. then place the fish pace to the main tank hun :)

I'm sorry Koko, I'm useless with gallons  :unsure: Is this about 10 litres? Should I do this on all 3 fish or just Winston (white oranda)? And can I start this the same day as the Fluke-Solve (i.e. tomorrow) or will it be a bit too much for them/him all at once? 

Two gallons equals roughly 8 liters.  You don't need precise measurements here and the treatment won't hurt or discomfort any fish.  So you can treat just the one or all as you prefer.

Just search "litres to gallons"  and you will get lots of conversion calculators.  We even have one on Kokos.

Edited by shakaho

Thank you ladies  :thumb:

I'll certainly check out All Pond Solutions... kinda hoping Santa might bring me an early Christmas present.

I would like you to do a Silver dip every day for a week. Get a 2 gallon container, place 3 drops in the water let the fish sit for 3-4 mins in the water. then place the fish pace to the main tank hun :)

I'm sorry Koko, I'm useless with gallons  :unsure: Is this about 10 litres? Should I do this on all 3 fish or just Winston (white oranda)? And can I start this the same day as the Fluke-Solve (i.e. tomorrow) or will it be a bit too much for them/him all at once? 

Right now just him since he is the worst of them all... I dont want to mix the Fluke-Solve and Silver as I have never done that before. :o

Thanks Koko.

So I should wait until after the 2 week FS treatment? Or do you just mean you don't want me using silver in the main tank as FS & dips alongside/separately are fine?

Or do you just mean you don't want me using silver in the main tank as FS & dips alongside/separately are fine?

I think she means this.  At least I would do that.

Or do you just mean you don't want me using silver in the main tank as FS & dips alongside/separately are fine?

I think she means this.  At least I would do that.

:bingo:

Exactly I never used those in the same time. So I would like you to do the FS in the tank and the Silver in a QT so we dont mix together :)

OK, a quick update and some photographs...

I changed 150 litres on Saturday, replaced the salt and dosed with the Fluke-Solve. A couple of hours later I carried out the silver dip on Winston.

All seems ok so far, no pouting or stink eye observed yet...not sure if this is a good thing or not?

On Sunday I did another silver dip. Observed a few spots on Winston's wen and woke this morning to a new larger red patch on the right hand side.

First picture was taken yesterday before the new red patch appeared. All others were taken this morning...

1_zpsr3dwndje.jpg

2_zpsckg1qw11.jpg

5_zps1gc3dwqt.jpg

4_zpsny0dukrc.jpg

3_zpsp7orgtte.jpg

Sorry for the distortion/lack of focus. The redness seems a lot 'redder' in real life  :huh:

One other thing... I have noticed Piggy (chocolate oranda) nibbling at Winston's fins and sucking on his side (the side with the weird/raised scales). Not sure if he's the reason behind the blood in the fins (2nd picture on page 1) and the weird scales. I have noticed him nibbling on Dad's fins too, but far less so.

Any ideas? Could this be a fluke related thing - is he grooming/cleaning?

Can anyone answer my query above please or have any comment on my images?

I'm currently getting my nitrate water ready for tomorrow's big change & 2nd dose of FS & salt replacing.

Tonight will be the 7th silver dip on Winston - should I continue with these or not?

Right now PB is down so I cant see the photos.

Sometimes fish will nip at sick fish, its like they know something is wrong and will kinda pick at them. Keep a close eye if this keeps up I would QT the fish being picked on :)

I want to see the photos before I answer the silver hun :)

Thanks Koko - hopefully PB will be up & running again soon.

I'll complete tonight's silver dip & water change/dosing tomorrow. If I don't hear anything between now & then, would another dip tomorrow cause any issue if on Sunday you tell me to stop?

I'd move either the nibbling fish or its victim to another tank.  

Thanks Koko - hopefully PB will be up & running again soon.

I'll complete tonight's silver dip & water change/dosing tomorrow. If I don't hear anything between now & then, would another dip tomorrow cause any issue if on Sunday you tell me to stop?

No hun

Morning Ladies...

Just another update - I completed the water change, salt, FS dose and silver dip on Saturday. Winston wasn't too impressed this time and has been bottom sitting quite a bit since then.

This morning (Monday) he has a red patch on his belly, which I'm assuming (rightly or wrongly) is as a result of him bottom sitting (bare bottom tank). I attach an image below - not the best quality but hopefully clear enough for you to offer some advice.

Do you think it's just a sore patch or something else?

IMG_2511_zpsknanmscw.jpg

Yes it does look like that.

I would like you to increase the silver to 8 drops hun. do that for 3 days.

Im really worried about the log and internal filter. any other fish with red?

Hi Koko,

No other fish are bottom sitting or have any redness whatsoever. It's just Winston.

I'll increase the silver as suggested - I have been doing 6 drops to 16 litres, so will up this to 16 drops to 16 litres.

What might be the issue with the log?

Edited by titch

Hi Koko,

No other fish are bottom sitting or have any redness whatsoever. It's just Winston.

I'll increase the silver as suggested - I have been doing 6 drops to 16 litres, so will up this to 16 drops to 16 litres.

What might be the issue with the log?

Logs sometimes that big can have caves inside them, not big enough for the fish but big enough to hold water in side of it. If it is like that then water can get stuck in there and start to go stagnate :( making the fish get a bacterial infection :(

Hi Koko, thanks for the clarification.

In all honesty, it was added after the problems surfaced. When I decided to go bare bottom, I removed all substrate, bogwood & plants (which were suffering with beard algae).

This new piece was soaked for over a month with all new plants treated as per the distributors advice. The log seems (to me at least) fairly solid with no obvious hollows/caves. Of course I can't be sure what's on the inside but going by the weight of it I don't think it's hollow.

Could be wrong of course...it has been known...obviously  :blush:

Ok do me a fav to make sure. Lift it out slowly and try and smell the log and the water that comes out/off of the log :)

If it smells very stinky I wouldnt use it, if it just smells like good fish water then it will be okay :) If you hear it kinda gulp that means there is a hole in the log and it letting out water, not good if its alot. :(

OK, thanks. Will have a sniff later when I do the silver dip on Winston  :teehee

OK, thanks. Will have a sniff later when I do the silver dip on Winston  :teehee

:teehee:lol:

+1 to what Koko suggested. It's a simple enough thing to check for and can help if unspecified water quality issues are at fault and nothing else pops up as the problem. Overly deep substrate layers are another common issue. You only need a thin layer unless you're doing a real dirf/mud tank, which has its own specific needs and issues. Otherwise a very fine layer of gravel or sand, half an in or less, is a better choice. Two or three inch deep substrate is a big problem for anaerobic bacteria and catching and retaining detritus and mulm.

Ok, I've had a good sniff and nothing seems out of the ordinary - no gulping and no whiffyness!

Just completed my 3rd silver dip at the increased ratio but he doesn't seem any better, worse if anything. The red patch on his belly is just as red and sore looking, a new patch has appeared on his 'chin' and another on his back towards the end of his dorsal fin. Plus I reckon his fins look worse.

I've taken some photos but can't load to PB until the morning.

Should I continue the silver for a few more days at the higher dose or is there something else I can try?

Do you have access to any antibiotics?