Butterfly

Oh gawd, dropsy

Have you added any meds to the tank?

Fins crossed for him. :)

Hi. Yes. Metro and Epsom salts.

He still acts "happy". Looks like .

Argh. I just wish I knew why...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, still alive. Swimming long happily. Very pineconed. Eating today so got a few oxytet pellets.

I'm horrified to post this but it is such an impressive case. I am honestly shocked he's swimming and acting relatively normally, just maybe a little weak. If he was acting sick I would have no problem putting him down immediately. I still feel like this will be a when and not if... but... maybe I am still hoping for a miracle.

Gasp in horror:

ff5da5eee1f216ad3ff4e6ff5a1dd96b.jpg

His kidneys have to be blown, right? Has anyone seen a fish come back from this advanced state? He's as round as my pearlscales.

Aaarrggghhh.....

His kidneys have to be blown, right? Has anyone seen a fish come back from this advanced state? He's as round as my pearlscales.

Aaarrggghhh.....

I have only one that made it this bad. I had used baytril, she lived for another year after :(

Wow Its amazing he is still swimming around happily. All of my dropsied fish have gone lethargic and lost interest in food way before this point.

I tend to go with if they are still eating,moving, showing the will to live I fight for them. When they lose that, I know its time.

Edited by FishyMandy

It's getting worse. If he were my fish, I'd euthanize. ABSOLUTELY NOT RECOMMENDING YOU DO THIS!! I just can't see any recovery and even the fish vets I've seen don't usually try treating at this level. Still, I wish for him to make a super awesome recovery and be the one that made it. Wishing good luck and sending positive vibes and thoughts your way. Hang tight little buddy.

Aaarrggghhh.....

I have only one that made it this bad. I had used baytril, she lived for another year after :(

Thanks for the info. I had been thinking about getting some injectable oxytet (I think I can get it at a local feed store). The AU Fish Vet uses it. Unfortunately with various family commitments I will not be able to get it this weekend.

Wow Its amazing he is still swimming around happily. All of my dropsied fish have gone lethargic and lost interest in food way before this point.

I tend to go with if they are still eating,moving, showing the will to live I fight for them. When they lose that, I know its time.

I can't believe it either to be honest. He actually ate ALL of the oxytet pellets I dropped in (like at least 10). I put them all in thinking he'd have a better chance finding them the more I put in and I'd pull the rest out a little later. (Even in health it usually takes him a bit to find the food.)

It's only available by veterinarian here (the Baytril) and only by aquatic veterinarian, which there are none anywhere close to me. Hope you can get some and see if it helps.

Edited by mjfromga

It's getting worse. If he were my fish, I'd euthanize. ABSOLUTELY NOT RECOMMENDING YOU DO THIS!! I just can't see any recovery and even the fish vets I've seen don't usually try treating at this level. Still, I wish for him to make a super awesome recovery and be the one that made it. Wishing good luck and sending positive vibes and thoughts your way. Hang tight little buddy.

Thank you. Yes, as long as he's still happily swimming around I'll hold out hope for a miraculous recovery.

The fact he does not otherwise seem ill and the advanced state if the pineconing makes me wonder if it could be polycystic kidneys or some other kidney mass. If he should pass, I am considering doing a necropsy out of curiosity (although I'm not % on that since he's like my fish buddy and I'm not sure I really want to go there).

Just because I personally might not believe it if someone said a fish looking like this was acting okay.

Truth is, I actually don't believe it even in person.

Edited by Butterfly

As long as he's eating and looking so happy, I'd keep treating. :idont  

Good luck.  

How much epsom did you end up putting in?

Wow he really is acting like nothing is wrong! That would give me hope too! :heart

As long as he's eating and looking so happy, I'd keep treating. :idont

Good luck.

How much epsom did you end up putting in?

I'm using a heaping half teaspoon epsom salt and 2 scoops of metro per 10g.

Wow he really is acting like nothing is wrong! That would give me hope too! :heart

Yes, that's the thing. I've seen sick fish and treated a few but for him to looks so bad but be acting so nearly normal I'm quite perplexed.

Oh that poor baby :(

Chris here... You have one tough water baby... Wishing a strong recovery for this Guy... :hug

Yes, keep treating. I hope he can bounce back but I'd be surprised if he did, that is really severe dropsy :(

I'm gonna name my next 2 goldfish Spunky and Spikey. :rofl

Keep fighting!! :flex:

:bighug