Sign in to follow this  
DieselPlower

HOB filters... loud for the fish?

Been wondering... the motor and vibration of a HOB filter makes a good amount of noise in the tank. Stick your ear on your glass and have a listen . What are the implications of this for the fish? Harmful? Annoying? Scary? Keeps them up at night?

Can they hear that? I can't hear it until I literally mash my ear to the side and it isn't that bad on my two upstairs tanks and the storage tub tank. It's pretty loud on the main tank, though. I wonder what I'd hear if I were under the water. The pond has a lot of water hitting the surface as mine uses a trickle. I'd think that would be more annoying. None of the fish seem stressed. Great question, though.

I've read differing opinions on this and also, the same thing for airstones and bubblers. Some say it matters, some say it doesn't. I don't think there is really a straight answer since the fish can't tell us what they think. Hope that cleared things up for ya :thumb::rofl3

Goldfish can definitely hear. I've also noticed sounds are louder underwater and the sound really carries. Maybe my HOB are noisy. I have 4 Aqueon 55/75 that have been sitting in the basement for quite a while and I tried to find a quiet one. None are what I'd call quiet. So, I ordered a sunsun canister.

I would think they would hear some sort of sound from an HOB.  Having said that, I imagine it would be almost a white noise type hum and hopefully not too annoying.  I wonder if they feel the vibration of it too.  :idont

DP, why don't you see if you can talk one of your friends into sticking his head in your tank and see what he can hear.  :o

:donthit:

Well, I was gonna suggest the "Sticking your head in the tank" idea but Lisa beat me to it!!!  (Darn it)

Since I have been running these filters for YEARS & the fish have always meandered around peacefully rather than darting around spazzing out, I am guessing they are ok with it!

***Tho' I'd still like someone to stick their head in there (OH....go ahead & get someone to film it) !!!!

Well I do know when I turn on my Bubble in my tank the fish will act different for a good 5-10 mins then go back to normal swimming... Same thing happens when I turn it off... I do think some of the noise bothers them.... Also when I had a filter that was making loud noises they hated it, they would all cuddle in the corner of the tank. I took it out and they all went back to swimming.

My opinion it does bother them to a point. Just like you and I.....

For what it's worth, when I moved my fish indoors to a tank with a big AC 110 & airstone they didn't act alarmed by them, despite not having any filter at all in their tub/pond (hey, I didn't know any better then!)

Been wondering... the motor and vibration of a HOB filter makes a good amount of noise in the tank. Stick your ear on your glass and have a listen . What are the implications of this for the fish? Harmful? Annoying? Scary? Keeps them up at night?

Your question reminds me of this movie . . . but without the disastrous possibilities. 

Edited by Acro

Hey I worry about cold food, of course I have thought about the noise factor :teehee

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Appreciate the comments. Still waiting on my sunsun

:idont

DP I just re read my post... it sounds a bit harsh. I didn't mean it in that way I was meaning that it is something I've thought about too. Personally I don't like the noise of vibrating things, it annoys me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think everything makes noise. Filters, bubblers, water flow etc. As long as the fish isn't under stress, then I don't see it harmful.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk