Sump for a shallow tub for a fish?

Citrine - cute little mush that he is... Will probably just swim upside down if I put him in a regular tank. I want to raise him in this 18 gallon (or so) storage tub. Can I do a sump for him? I think it'll help if I could do it. I also have two HOBs currently running and do daily WC of 5 gallons so far.

IMG_20161012_150131_zps0mrfbywf.jpg

I have no idea about any of this but here's how the area looks (excuse the junk). Help?

I'll defer to others here on a good DIY plan, as I have never tried.

Just wanted to chime in with a word of caution, if it's an open sump (I think they usually are) you've got to make sure your intake and outtake flows are appropriate.  I know someone who made a sump, and ended up first, overflowing the sump all onto the floor (luckily they caught it before the tank was completely drained).  THEN they over-corrected by pumping the water too quickly from the sump to the tank and overnight the sump pump got too hot (wasn't submerged fully) and the motor died...  LUCKILY, they'd learned from their first mistake (overflowing the sump) and put in that fail-safe lever thing that stopped the water from pumping into the sump once the aquarium water got to a certain level, so they didn't kill their fish.  It was a saltwater tank, so it made a pretty big mess.

All that wordiness (I'm quote loquacious) to say -- pay close attention to flow rates going down and going back up!!!   And make sure to have that fail safe floating lever that will shut off your pumps if the water drops below certain levels.

• Supporter

This one looks cheap and easy :teehee

This is the one that I made :D  It was much less daunting that I thought it would be and works very well.

Hmm... Now this will sound stupid, but it didn't talk about the pump system. What do I need for that?

Definitely not stupid... I was worried about that too, but once I watched Joey's videos it all started to make sense :)

He didn't explain how to do the water pumps when I saw it. I'm horribly concerned because the tub is shallow and wanted to know how to properly do it. I got no advice, so decided against it. If done wrong, I'll kill my mushy face and I won't risk it. I'll just get a larger HOB I guess.

He didn't explain how to do the water pumps when I saw it. I'm horribly concerned because the tub is shallow and wanted to know how to properly do it. I got no advice, so decided against it. If done wrong, I'll kill my mushy face and I won't risk it. I'll just get a larger HOB I guess.

I guess, from the tank to the wet/dry filter you can do it two ways - either an overflow or use a pump to move the water from tank to your filter. Then you need another pump to return the filtered water from your sump back to the tank. But I am no expert so let's see what others think.

Edit: Searched Youtube and found this. HTH

Edited by muffluvin

• Supporter

He has a few other videos on his page about how the overflows can be set-up, but I remember having to watch a lot of his videos to start to get an understanding of how it would work.  Also, in my situation I already had a built-in overflow box so I didn't have the additional worry about accidentally draining too much water from the tank.  That would be a huge concern for me too!

I think on one of the other videos linked to that one, he explains.

Starting with small holes in the filter baskets (so the flow is slow) and then adjusting the size of the holes until you are happy with the flow rate for your pump.

With the over flow you can just drill a hole in the side of the plastic tub/tank you are using and attach a type of plumbing piece (I cant for the life of me remember what its called) to secure a tube that then runs into the top of the filter baskets.

IDK if this has been any help... I wish I could help more, love a good project! :)