• * Nitrate level(Tank) 5
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap) .5
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap) 0
    • * Nitrate level(Tap) 0
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.5, 
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.5
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API drops
      • * Water temperature? I just broke my last thermometer, but probably in the upper 60s or lower 70s
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 55 gallons; been running for 1.5 yrs including 2 moves in which the filter media was preserved without any cycle bumps
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Fluval Aquaclear 50 (HOB), 200gph and Sunsun Canister HW304B 525gph
      • * How often do you change the water and how much? Every 3-5 days, 80%
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Yesterday 80%
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 3 single tails: Pasi 6", Aura, 7" and Kaji 8" sl
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? 2 capfuls Seachem Prime, 1 capful Seachem Flourish
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? 1/2 tbsp of Hikari staple soaked in aquarium water every morning; variety for dinner: seaweed, repashi, frozen bloodworms, frozen shrimp or blanched veggies
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? No
  • * Any medications added to the tank? Yesterday after the WC I added a dose of powdered prazi
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. Pasi and Aura who I adopted in March of last year were treated with multiple rounds of prazi and salt at the time. Pasi was also treated with two rounds of Furan-2 for finrot at the time. 
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Pasi has a bright red cut on his back and lower edge of his dorsal fin
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Fin clamping and bottom sitting

So I came back from a 5-day vacation Mon night and found that my darling Pasi had a bright red cut on his back and lower dorsal fin (pics below). It seems like a physical injury to me but I have no idea how he could have gotten it; as far as I can tell there's nothing particularly sharp in the tank except maybe the filter intake tubes (see full-tank pic). Yesterday (Tues) I observed him and he was still swimming around, begging for food and eating normally, so I did an 80% WC and added a dose of powdered prazi (it's been about 7 months since the fish were last treated and I thought maybe the injury was related to flukes acting up). While I was away for the 5 days, the fish were fasted, so the stress of fasting may be a contributing factor.

Well, ever since then the other two fish (Kaji and Aura) have been acting normal, but Pasi is fin-clamping and bottom-sitting. This morning when I came to feed them, he wouldn't even swim up to beg, but he did eat when I put the food in.

I'm thinking I might want to move him to a hospital tank because Kaji (who adores him and is almost always by his side) keeps nudging him (I think in a concerned rather than aggressive way, but it keeps him from resting). A diagnosis and advice from someone more experienced would be greatly appreciated!

8f033e7fcbd8bfccf9376ef76329632b.jpg

1b1093e9056070f2859c3495bf43ed83.jpg

3f4c0f7f93d36884ac87db18f7e1acdf.jpg

3016309125b6dcd983ae06c750af97db.jpg

before you move him anywhere, could you entice him with food and use that as an opportunity to video him whilst he's swimming? it would be helpful to see him moving around. there is also a lot of blood streaking in his tail and possibly other fins.

Hello Helen,

He's actually always had that blood-streaking in his tail fin since I got him from a shelter last March (the nitrites in his shelter tank were through the roof), but it does maybe look a bit worse now. Here's an old picture for comparison:

53b16e741d8e821edd6f3585d2638641.jpg

I'll make that video and post it shortly. Thanks!

yes, there is more than streaking that i see, perhaps some smearing, but it could be the dim light. we will see how it looks whilst he's swimming around. it's 2am here, currently. perhaps others will visit to help you out. i will check back in the morning.

yes, there is more than streaking that i see, perhaps some smearing, but it could be the dim light. we will see how it looks whilst he's swimming around. it's 2am here, currently. perhaps others will visit to help you out. i will check back in the morning.

Ok, thanks and have a good night!

Here's a video of Pasi swimming. Sorry for the glare--in the sunroom at this time of day the lighting is terrible for taking pictures. If a more clear video is needed, I can retake it tonight.

he seems to be clamping his fins, as you have already noticed. so it's great that you started the prazi treatment. if you can do at least 3 rounds, that should eliminate any possible flukes issue. this could be an injury, and you may want to dab the site with some betadine. perhaps you can catch pasi in a tub not much bigger than him, then just do as i demonstrate in the video below. the fish i dabbed was as comfortable as he could get in my hands.. lol... but if you can keep the betadine dabbed area out of the water for about 5 seconds for the product to be absorbed, that will be ideal.. i think HP is what people in the US like to use, either should be fine, not both.

i have some concerns for the size of your tank since you have single tails. usually, i would be ok to keep fancies in that size tank, however single tails require a lot more room to get around it. any chance of an upgrade in the near future? a 100 gallon long would be awesome for them.. 80 gallons long minimum.

Hi Helen,

Thank you for the thoughtful response! I'll catch Pasi in a tupperware tomorrow and treat him with HP and continue the prazi rounds. It really puts my mind at ease to have the opinion of someone experienced.

Thanks for expressing your concerns about tank size. I plan eventually to get a bigger tank or build a pond, but I'm unfortunately really not in a position to do so right now since I'm expecting to move for a more permanent job in 6 months or so. I recently built an aquaponics system for the tank under Shakaho's excellent guidance to keep the nitrates in check (for which I still owe everyone a DIY thread) and am very fastidious about water changes, but I know that does nothing as far as swimming room.

I'm also a little bit confused about this advice because before I got Aura and Pasi I remember posting to ask about whether my 55 could hold more fish and being told that the Koko's recommendations (15-20 gals/ fish) applied to single tails and fancies equally. But I do agree that my single-tails could benefit from more swimming room and wonder if maybe something could be added to the guidelines about that? I noticed that many 75s are actually the same length as 55s (4 ft), which means that really any medium to large size adult single-tail would eventually need an 80 long minimum. I'm sure there's been a thread about this at some point--let me see if I can dig it up!

i was expressing my own opinion.. i have 2 pearlscales in a 120g and they gracefully use the entire space. i have had 8 giant ryukins in the same volume of water, who also used the entire space, but seemed cramped to turn and stretch their 'fins' in. i have a friend who has 4 comets in a long 100g custom tank.. they seem incredibly happy. yes, water can be kept clean with some extra work, no-one will question your excellent husbandry. there isn't anything needed to add to the general guidline as it is simply that, a guidline. how one provides for their goldfish it is to each their own and more of a matter of the water being maintained to a healthy state for them., which you already do.

Thank you! Of course, I want to maximize the happiness and comfort of my fish and I agree with you that an eventual upgrade to a larger tank or pond is in order once I'm in a position to do that.

Your tank is fine for three average-sized long-bodied fish.  The narrow width of the 55 gallon can make turning around difficult for a large inflexible fancy goldfish, but but my mature long-bodied fish with 9-10" sl can fold themselves into a U shape and turn around in a 6" wide holding tank.  If you want a larger tank,  a 75 can certainly be their forever home.

Please move him to a hospital tank, since he appears to have an infection.  When did the upper caudal fin spine bend/break?  The plant container on the left in your sig picture looks like it could be a source of injury.  Is it still in the tank?  I can't tell from the tank shot.