Peas and goldfish

Miss Bad Wolf

I have read that peas and goldfish put together would help their little tummies. How should I make sure the peas are helping. I guess I peal them after cooking them but what else do I need to do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, remove the outer shell of the pea and, depending on the size of your fish, you may want to break them up into pieces.  Make sure the peas have no added salt.  Keep in mind peas can make them gassy.  

I prefer feeding them red leaf lettuce rather than peas.  No cooking required.  Just rinse and clip to a veggie clip.  I've just recently started giving them nori seaweed because of this thread:

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/125181-nori-seaweed-amazing-food/

• Supporter

Chris here... My Ranchu has been floaty for the couple of weeks... So peas have become a daily part of all my babies diet... but as fantailfan1 says... peas make farty fishys... :rofl3 as a testament to this my battery powered hand vac gets an every other day work out... ;). I just received and order of seaweed... all 4 of water babies are in love with it... I'm going to add some red leaf lettuce next to see it they like that as well... All of the babies are also loving broccoli as well, but again that makes farty fishys...

Please share if you discover more floaty fighting foods... :)

• Supporter

I've given up trying to grow it. I just found out I can get it from a lfs. Well, that is when Jason isn't dropping off a five pound bucket of it. :tomuch:

I wonder if he'll drop some off over here.... :rofl

You can avoid clogging the filter with duckweed by:

turning off the filter when you feed the duckweed;

putting the duckweed in a feeding station anchored away from the filter,

putting a feeding station or a ring of tubing around the outflow of the filter.

I've tried to grow duckweed twice. Killed it both times. Used old tank water and light and temps were warm. Unfortunate. Gave up. Also almost instantly killed Salvinia Minima too so idk what is going on. I don't feed peas either and I don't fast fish randomly.

Did you have the duckweed shipped to you?  In summer?  "Cooked" duckweed looks bright green.  When you put it in water, it fades to yellow and then white.  It was already dead/

• Supporter

Did you have the duckweed shipped to you?  In summer?  "Cooked" duckweed looks bright green.  When you put it in water, it fades to yellow and then white.  It was already dead/

Hi Shakaho, I received the duckweed 9/23... I have attached 2 photos of what it looks like today... 1 is one of the duckweed in full sun and the other is the duckweed out of direct sun. I have been using about a tablespoon of the duckweed in the tank about every three days... I put the duckweed in tank water from a water change and changed that water with fresh tank water a week ago... I do water changes on Tuesdays... So I wast planning to put fresh tank water in tomorrow....

9D0F9180-EE6A-40FA-B0B0-F921E16AA67D_zps

65F7A230-0050-49D8-85D4-5BF20614F5F8_zps