Sign in to follow this  
QandD

Calcium supplements?

Hi all,

I current use Seachem Equilibrium and baking soda to keep my kH/gH under control, but I would like to boost the water's calcium content further, since I think my snails' shells could use the help--and it might help some of my plants, too. 

I've read about using cuttlebones, but don't want to use them if there are unnecessary additives. I've also seen that Seachem makes a calcium supplement for corals, but it seems not to be calcium carbonate. Any suggestions?

Thanks! 

Cuttlebones are fine to use. What makes you think your snail needs additional calcium? Is the shell showing signs of deficiency?

What is your GH?

The shell has grown a white spot on its apex. My gH is around 9-10 drops (this is with a recent dose of Equilibrium), which is 161-179. 

I wouldn't think with a GH that high that you'd need to supplement. Can you post a pic of the snail when you get a chance? :D

I wouldn't think with a GH that high that you'd need to supplement. Can you post a pic of the snail when you get a chance? :D

Yeah, I'm perplexed, but I'm wondering if the gH drops quickly after a water change (I did one earlier today). I'll take another reading tomorrow. The snail is actually running away from my camera--how do they know when these things are happening?? But it is a white spot (not a cyst) on the apex of its shell.

Just in case, do you have any preferences re: cuttlebone? I found this on Amazon but some people noted that it has trace salts in it. 

That looks fine to me.  

I have one snail who has a white spot on its apex also.  I guess I've never worried about it.   :peeka  What type of snail do you have?  apple? nerite?

OK--I bought the cuttlebone just in case; I figure it can't hurt! 

I hope I find my missing nerite, too, who seems to have gone into hiding within an hour of being in the tank. Perhaps it buried itself? I checked the filters, floors, etc. What little spy!

Edited by QandD

They are so good at hiding!!  :teehee

Yeah, it doesn't hurt to have it in there so add it if you'd like.  I think it's suggested that you not put the whole thing in but break it up into chunks . . .