Sign in to follow this  
Mighty

Bleed in telescope eye

Test Results for the Following:

* Ammonia Level(Tank) 0
* Nitrite Level(Tank) 0
* Nitrate level(Tank) 10-20ppm (colors look the same to me)
* Ammonia Level(Tap) 0
* Nitrite Level(Tap) 0
* Nitrate level(Tap) Also 10-20ppm
* Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 8.2
* Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 8.2
Other Required Info:
* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API drops
* Water temperature? 70 F
* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 75 gallons, maybe 1.5 yrs
* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Aquaclear 110 + 2 Azoo sponge filters rated for 75 gallons each
* How often do you change the water and how much? At least once a week, 90%
* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Oct 4th, 100%
* How many fish in the tank and their size? 7 goldies, most of them weighing about 30 grams
* What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime
* What do you feed your fish and how often? Mostly NLS thera A pellets a few times a day
* Any new fish added to the tank? No
* Any medications added to the tank? I happen to be in the middle of annual prazi treatment, it will be done by oct 9
* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. A year ago, they went through several salt + prazipro rounds
* Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? There appears to be blood pooling in the eyeball... I noticed a blood spot (first pic) about 3 weeks ago. I have been leaving it alone thinking she had just gotten poked by the plastic plant and that it would heal without help (ugh).. I didn't notice change until tonight. The eye was always larger than the other, but today I can see it is definitely swelling beyond what is normal for her and now there is more blood! :(
* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? She has always been a surface gulper but everything else seems fine behavior wise. Still active and eating.

Pic 1 (3 weeks ago) - http://i.imgur.com/extysm3.jpg?1

Pic 2 (tonight) - http://i.imgur.com/LHuC9uo.jpg?1

Pic 3 (tonight) - http://i.imgur.com/bDGYJ6m.jpg?1

Please let me know if you need more info or have any suggestions. Thank you!

Welcome to Kokos and I hope your Telescopes eye feels better.

Blood in a fish's eye often indicates some sort of trauma and typically will resorb on its own . . .  Is there anything in the tank he could have injured himself on?  A full tank picture might be helpful for us.

As far as the swelling goes, do you happen to have any pics of the fish's eyes from above from before this all happened?  I'm not convinced it's swelling vs normal telescope eye growth.  :idont

Welcome to Kokos and I hope your Telescopes eye feels better.

Thank you!

Blood in a fish's eye often indicates some sort of trauma and typically will resorb on its own . . .  Is there anything in the tank he could have injured himself on?  A full tank picture might be helpful for us.

As far as the swelling goes, do you happen to have any pics of the fish's eyes from above from before this all happened?  I'm not convinced it's swelling vs normal telescope eye growth.   :idont

I had this plastic plant when it happened so that's my only real guess... Now the tank is just bare aside from the filter tubes and sponges. I have been feeding them more in the last few months since I found out I was underfeeding... She has gained just a little weight, perhaps it all went into the eye lol

Plant - http://www.drsfostersmith.com/images/Categoryimages/larger/lg-83276-68019K-fish.jpg

Tank currently - http://i.imgur.com/ic4NgWR.jpg?2

The eyes about 3 months ago - http://i.imgur.com/1QdQi6X.jpg?2

Thanks for the pics.  Very helpful.

The eye has definitely grown :teehee      What part of the eye in particular are you concerned is swelling?  It looks like perhaps there is some swelling towards the rear of the eye and the bottom but it looks like that in the pic you posted from 3 weeks ago . . . .  

In case we need meds, can you tell me what you have on hand?

Thanks for the pics.  Very helpful.

The eye has definitely grown :teehee      What part of the eye in particular are you concerned is swelling?  It looks like perhaps there is some swelling towards the rear of the eye and the bottom but it looks like that in the pic you posted from 3 weeks ago . . . .  

In case we need meds, can you tell me what you have on hand?

I thought that the whole eye was swollen, it seemed a little fast to be normal growth but I don't know  :no: I think the eye looks larger from pic 1 to pic 2 but I don't have the top view from 3 weeks ago to compare.

I have Furan 2, General cure, HEX shield pellets, Stress guard, Prazi, some melafix and pimafix, epsom salts... I believe that is all but I could order something else if it's on Amazon.

Let's start with Epsom salt for now at 1/2 tsp per 10 gallons and hold off on any other meds.

Let's start with Epsom salt for now at 1/2 tsp per 10 gallons and hold off on any other meds.

Alrighty! Is this for swelling?

Yes it is.   :D

Give us an update in 24-48 hours.  Sooner if needed.

It certainly doesn't look any worse.  I do think it's normal growth.  Let's keep the Epsom in for a week and if nothing changes go ahead and remove it.  :D