Sign in to follow this  
Flipper

Jersey Swimming Off Kilter

Jersey, my calico oranda that Jenna sent me from NJ last year has never been a super strong swimmer. But it's getting worse. She especially gets overtaken by the force of my aquaclear filters.

I feed my goldies a combination of sinking pellets that are all combined into one container so they get a variety every time I feed pellets. Also feed FBW or FBS once or twice a week and Repashy solient green every other day. 85% wc every week.

Anybody have any suggestions to help her?! Does it seem like it's swim bladder related?

I think it's a combo of the body shape and long tail fin, she just doesn't have a body shape with great motility in the water because she is so rounded/diamond shaped. Shallow water and sponge filters would probably help and maybe giving a try or only green, soft food, but I think it's just going to be an ongoing battle for her because of her shape and fins.

Lovely fish, absolutely beautiful coloration!

Would you fill out the d/d form, please?  

Ohh no! :(

Not a fun thing to watch. I hope you can find some way to help her balance.

I'll test my water tomorrow.

I think it's a combo of the body shape and long tail fin, she just doesn't have a body shape with great motility in the water because she is so rounded/diamond shaped. Shallow water and sponge filters would probably help and maybe giving a try or only green, soft food, but I think it's just going to be an ongoing battle for her because of her shape and fins.

Lovely fish, absolutely beautiful coloration!

I've suspected it was going to be a battle for her :( To give her sponge filters, I'll have to put her in the 10 gal I think :( that makes me sad. Green soft food.. Like gel food and peas? What else?

Ohh no! :(

Not a fun thing to watch. I hope you can find some way to help her balance.

Thanks. I hope so too :(

You could possible baffle your filter outflow a bit to break it up, and if she can still eat and doesn't seem to be stressed or exhausted you can probably leave her in the main tank. Swimming issues are only 'issues' if quality of life is a problem, in my opinion. Soft green foods are things like repashy, blanched spinach, seaweed, spirulina, etc.

Just in case something environmental is making this worse, can you fill out the form like Sharon indicated? We don't want to miss anything obvious like high nitrates, which can exacerbate swimming issues in fish that are prone to them.

Awww. :(  I hope she can be helped.  :hug

Jersey is GORGEOUS!!! My BEST to her!!!

Awww. :(  I hope she can be helped.  :hug

Jersey is GORGEOUS!!! My BEST to her!!!

Thanks!

I hope she feels better :hug

Please copy & paste fill the following form and fill it out to the best of your ability when requesting help for Goldfish Problems:

Test Results for the Following:

* Ammonia Level(Tank)0

* Nitrite Level(Tank)0

* Nitrate level(Tank)8

* Ammonia Level(Tap)0.5

* Nitrite Level(Tap)1

* Nitrate level(Tap)8

* Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)8.2 and I don't have the kh GH kit

* Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)8.6

Other Required Info:

* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API master

* Water temperature? 75 F

* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 55 gal running since 2013

* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? 2 aquaclear 110

* How often do you change the water and how much? Weekly 80-85%

* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 3 days on Sunday 9/18 85%

* How many fish in the tank and their size? 3 and you saw all of them in the first video post. White oranda is the biggest

* What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime and baking soda with wc

* What do you feed your fish and how often? I usually only feed once a day but sometimes twice. I have a jar mixed with omega 1 small gf, NLS small gf and NLS Thera A and I also feed pro gold pellets about twice per week. FBW and FBS about twice per week. And Repashy solvent green several times per week.

* Any new fish added to the tank? Last fish was Jersey in November.

* Any medications added to the tank? No

* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. Haven't prazied tank since nov. No other meds

* Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Jersey has small white spot on tail. Can see it in vid.

* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? She's eating but has difficulty "catching" the food because of swimming problems, but she's definitely warning to eat. At night to sleep, she wedges herself in a corner full of plants. I think this keeps her from being swept up in the current :(

I posted it ^^ any suggestions

I was looking for high nitrates, but your readings seem strange.  By Nitrate 8, do you mean 5-10?  If your tap always has 8 ppm nitrate, and you feed your fish, 3 days after a water change your tank will have more than 10 ppm nitrate.  Can you explain?

Have you considered storing your tap water and filtering it in the storage container with Seachem Matrix to produce clean water for water changes?

When I've had a fish act like that,  I've been able to stabilize the fish with clean, shallow water, and duckweed for food.  Then I need to fix the water quality in the original tank to make it fit for the sensitive fish.  Unfortunately, you don't have clean water to use. 

I use a tote like this, with 4-5" of water which makes it easier for the fish to swim upright. 

I was looking for high nitrates, but your readings seem strange.  By Nitrate 8, do you mean 5-10?  If your tap always has 8 ppm nitrate, and you feed your fish, 3 days after a water change your tank will have more than 10 ppm nitrate.  Can you explain?

Have you considered storing your tap water and filtering it in the storage container with Seachem Matrix to produce clean water for water changes?

When I've had a fish act like that,  I've been able to stabilize the fish with clean, shallow water, and duckweed for food.  Then I need to fix the water quality in the original tank to make it fit for the sensitive fish.  Unfortunately, you don't have clean water to use. 

I use a tote like this, with 4-5" of water which makes it easier for the fish to swim upright.

Yes, when I said 8, I meant it looked like between 5-10. One reason my nitrates may not have moved could be because I've been sick since this weekend and I think I've only fed them once since their wc :( but it did look the same for both my tank and the tap.

No. I've never considered filtering my tap water. But I will now. Do I still do one big wc per week or 2 smaller ones? Do I put the tap water in a garbage can or something?

I think I can buy RO water at a lfs. Should I do that to get jersey straightened out initially? (For a clean water source)

I don't know what seachem matrix is so I've got to figure that out.

Thanks for your tips and tricks.

Seachem Matrix

For storage, ideally you have a container as large as your tank.  These make great, cheap, and very durable containers, but you can use any large sturdy plastic container.   

Check around for water.  If you get RO water you need to also get minerals like Replenish.

Home Depot has RO water with some minerals added, as does Walmart.

Edited by shakaho

Seachem Matrix

For storage, ideally you have a container as large as your tank.  These make great, cheap, and very durable containers, but you can use any large sturdy plastic container.   

Check around for water.  If you get RO water you need to also get minerals like Replenish.

Home Depot has RO water with some minerals added, as does Walmart.

Wow! That's a big barrel :o so my next issue is storing the big a$$ tub and schlepping the water to the tank each week :thud I am pretty sure I'd have to keep it I the basement :( not boding well for my back

Thanks for all the links and suggestions.

Could a strong pump and long tubing work to get it to the tank?

You can pump water from the basement if you get a pump with an adequate "head."   How deep is the basement?  

You can use a much smaller container if you do smaller and more frequent water changes.  10% daily roughly corresponds to 50% weekly.  Ideally, your container holds twice what you need for a water change, and you replace the water you use for the change with tap water.  If the storage container filter works well, you can use a container that has the same size as the water change.   

You can pump water from the basement if you get a pump with an adequate "head."   How deep is the basement?  

You can use a much smaller container if you do smaller and more frequent water changes.  10% daily roughly corresponds to 50% weekly.  Ideally, your container holds twice what you need for a water change, and you replace the water you use for the change with tap water.  If the storage container filter works well, you can use a container that has the same size as the water change.

Our house is a split level so the basement is only partly underground.

I'm ordering the matrix today. When I filter the tap water do I just use the matrix or do I need any seeded media? I'm thinking just matrix, but just checking.

Definitely add a little cycled medium, since you have ammonia and nitrite in the tap water.  

Definitely add a little cycled medium, since you have ammonia and nitrite in the tap water.

Ok. Thanks :)

I asked Seachem for a suggestion on a source of denitrifying bacteria to seed the filter in the container.  They suggested Stability, which does contain denitrifiers.  I wouldn't use this mystery stuff with its unidentified and probably genetically engineered bacteria in a filter in a fish tank,  but it should work well in the storage container filter.

How is Jersey doing today?