Sign in to follow this  
emilyalice91

Bump on Head?!

Hey guys

Huge Question for you! This is my telescope butterfly. And within the last week he has had this bump growing on his head. And it's size is increasing everyday! It's freaking me out a little! It's strange, it is kind of bumpy, like the wen of an oranda. It is also a bit translucent like a wen too. But he's a telescope so it couldn't be a wen, right? Do you guys know what this is? or if it's not wen growth, what to do? 

Help please?  Thank you!! 

image1_1.png

IMG_3144.png

hello,

the mass looks quite transparent.. and the texture looks typical of the skin on a telescope's head.. which leads me to believe that what we're seeing here is fluid retention. there have been similar cases on kokos as well as with my own fish to understand that this is not a wen, or a tumor.

so, since we will most likely be travelling down the road of treatment with meds, it is important that the questionnaire be completed as accurately as possible. i also request top view photos of your fish, or a video showing top view and profile of both sides. please be sure to use some good lighting so that we can see as much detail as possible. this will also provide us with a reference point where it concerns the condition of scales and any body shape changes during treatment course.

Please copy & paste fill the following form and fill it out to the best of your ability when requesting help for Goldfish Problems:

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrate level(Tank)
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrate level(Tap)
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?
      • * Water temperature?
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?
      • * How often do you change the water and how much?
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size?
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often?
  • * Any new fish added to the tank?
  • * Any medications added to the tank?
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

hello,

the mass looks quite transparent.. and the texture looks typical of the skin on a telescope's head.. which leads me to believe that what we're seeing here is fluid retention. there have been similar cases on kokos as well as with my own fish to understand that this is not a wen, or a tumor.

so, since we will most likely be travelling down the road of treatment with meds, it is important that the questionnaire be completed as accurately as possible. i also request top view photos of your fish, or a video showing top view and profile of both sides. please be sure to use some good lighting so that we can see as much detail as possible. this will also provide us with a reference point where it concerns the condition of scales and any body shape changes during treatment course.

Please copy & paste fill the following form and fill it out to the best of your ability when requesting help for Goldfish Problems:

• * Ammonia Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrate level(Tank)
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrate level(Tap)
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?
      • * Water temperature?
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?
      • * How often do you change the water and how much?
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size?
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often?
  • * Any new fish added to the tank?
  • * Any medications added to the tank?
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

Helen, Thank you so much for replying to me. This post have received many many views, but you're the only one to have an idea of how I can fix this. Here is my filled out questionnaire:

• * Ammonia Level(Tank) 0 - 0.25 ppm
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank) 0 ppm
    • * Nitrate level(Tank) 10 - 20 ppm
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap) 0.5 - 1.0 ppm
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap) 0 ppm
    • * Nitrate level(Tap) >0.5 ppm 
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) ~7.6
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) ~7.6 
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API Freshwater Master Test kit
      • * Water temperature? ~76 F
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 55gal; running for 2 months (since mid July)
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? using Fluval 306 canister and fluval hob 70 gallon filter
      • * How often do you change the water and how much? water change every 4 or 5 days; 50% each time 
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 3 days since last water change (thursday Sept 22)
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 3 fish in tank. The one with the bump on head is about 54 g. The other two are about a third his size
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? I use seachem Prime during water changes and also to treat water I keep in a 30 gallon storage container for water changes. (I always refill this storage container after every water change, and treat it with Prime, and use it when I do the next water change about 4 to 5 days later). 
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? I feed my fish hikari sinking pellets (small) every day. I have a timer that feeds them through out the day to spread out their food intake. Repashi gel food most days of the week just once in the morning. And peas twice a week. 
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? the two others I added were added about about 5 days ago. This was after he was already showing this bump on his head. Bump has been growing everyday since I first noticed it about a week and a half ago.
  • * Any medications added to the tank? N/A
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. N/A no treatments done thus far. This is the first sign of any ailments. However, as you may see from photos, the fish with the bump (the orange guy, I names him Phoenix) had an ulcer at one point before I bought him. The man that owns the koi and goldfish shop I bought him from treated him, and he no longer has he ulcer. What is left is a white patch on his side, which I'm assuming is just the scar he has from the ulcer. I do not know what medications/treatments the shop owner used to heal him.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? No
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Yes, Phoenix has always been a bloated fish since the day I brought him hope. He tends to air gulp a lot and I dont know why when my other fish dont do that. He has buoyancy problems and some times floats to the surface upside down and then reorients himself after a few seconds. With in the last few days, he now is floating in one of the corners of my tank, not upside down however. He's always been doing this, but it is more frequent since this the appearance of the bump on his head. He is still eating regularly. 

Tap water: 

IMG_3153.jpg

My tank water:

IMG_3154.jpg

55 gallon tank:

IMG_3136.jpg

These are links to videos I took of him. My lighting is not so good with my camera on my phone. Hope they work 

https://www.facebook.com/emilyalice.smith.9/videos/vb.100000892671732/1255000114539732/?type=3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/emilyalice.smith.9/videos/vb.100000892671732/1255003167872760/?type=3&theater

(sorry these had to be sent by a facebook link. Photobucket doesnt ever work properly)

Thank you

-Emily 

Please test your water with the high range pH test.  Since you have the highest reading on the regular pH, you know the pH is 7.6 or higher, but you don't know how much higher.

Please test your water with the high range pH test.  Since you have the highest reading on the regular pH, you know the pH is 7.6 or higher, but you don't know how much higher.

IMG_3156.jpg

Beautiful fish! I hope your tele gets better soon :)

Is that tank or tap water?

Is that tank or tap water?

tank water. Last water change was three days ago. 

She's beautiful! I hope she has a quick recovery :hug you are in great hands here!

Please also test the tap water with the high range pH test.  Goldfish can tolerate a very wide pH range, but don't like rapid pH changes.  We want to make sure that large water changes don't involve a major pH change.  

Please also test the tap water with the high range pH test.  Goldfish can tolerate a very wide pH range, but don't like rapid pH changes.  We want to make sure that large water changes don't involve a major pH change.

I understand what you mean. The pH for my tap water is the same. Same for the tank and same from the tap

he has gotten progressively worse in the last 24 hours. Just moved him to a quarantine talk today. Also before adding him to the quarantine tank, i gave him a salt bath. 6 (0.6%) level teaspoon per 1 gallon of water. i know a lot of sites online, including this one say a 3 level teaspoon dip is good but he's already stressed out that I didnt want to over do it on him especially because he is already having buoyancy issues. Salt bath was 5 minutes. He is in the quarantine tank now and has eaten a little bit of hikari sinking pellet. Ever since I got him a couple months ago, he has always been an air gulper. My other two telescopes do not do this, they dont even go to the surface that often. Today I noticed he is starting to pinecone a bit. Makes me very sad and worried because I dont know how to help him. Advice needed over here. please guys. 

Helen has seen this in her fish. She is sure that it is infection. She told me that this fish needs Metroplex and Epsom salt STAT. Since he is in dropsy, it is imperative that you acquire these meds ASAP (but do not use until a moderator returns to advise on dosage). Please post the new photos of him quickly so mods can gauge exactly how much to give him and what to do. Sorry nobody has been along to offer further advice and he worsened. Hopefully someone shows up soon.

EDIT: Lots of fish float on Hikari pellets, I suggest you take him off those pellets.

Edited by mjfromga

Helen has seen this in her fish. She is sure that it is infection. She told me that this fish needs Metroplex and Epsom salt STAT. Since he is in dropsy, it is imperative that you acquire these meds ASAP (but do not use until a moderator returns to advise on dosage). Please post the new photos of him quickly so mods can gauge exactly how much to give him and what to do. Sorry nobody has been along to offer further advice and he worsened. Hopefully someone shows up soon.

EDIT: Lots of fish float on Hikari pellets, I suggest you take him off those pellets.

thanks for getting back to me. i will do this stat! 

I'm sorry he isn't doing well! If there is pineconing then Helen'/ assessment of this being a localized sign of infection is spot on. If you have or can quickly purchase metronidazole and Epsom we will move the animal to a ten gallon hospital tank with a heater and airstone, if he isn't in one already.

Water temperature can be held at 76 degrees, and we will dose 1/2 a teaspoon of the Epsom salt for the ten gallon tank volume, along with two measures of metronidazole. 100% water changes every two days when you need to redose the metro will insure good water quality during treatment, and light feeding can continue if he will eat. We should see some improvement in behavior and swelling by 4-5 days out if this is going to work but dropsy is difficult to reverse :(

I'm sorry he isn't doing well! If there is pineconing then Helen'/ assessment of this being a localized sign of infection is spot on. If you have or can quickly purchase metronidazole and Epsom we will move the animal to a ten gallon hospital tank with a heater and airstone, if he isn't in one already.

Water temperature can be held at 76 degrees, and we will dose 1/2 a teaspoon of the Epsom salt for the ten gallon tank volume, along with two measures of metronidazole. 100% water changes every two days when you need to redose the metro will insure good water quality during treatment, and light feeding can continue if he will eat. We should see some improvement in behavior and swelling by 4-5 days out if this is going to work but dropsy is difficult to reverse :(

Thank you so much for your response! He has been in a 10 gallon hospital tank now since monday. And so far he has had a salt bath each day. He is going to have his third today. These are salt baths that Im keeping him in for 5 minutes (Epsom) and adding 57g of salt to 1/2 - 1 gallon. And i've been maintaining his hospital tank at 1/4 epsom salt daily and adding the necessary amounts after his daily water changes. I will fine metronidazole and also raise the epsom in his hospital tank to 1/2 tsp (for his 10 gallon tank). And alspo raise his tank to 76 degrees. 

these are some current photos of him right now. Please ignore the white patch on his side. The man I bought him from was very diligent and cured him of his ulcer, but this is his scarring now. 

Slight pinecone: 

IMG_3179.jpg\

air gulping still

IMG_3178.jpg

lethargic and floaty: 

IMG_3177.jpg

Thanks for all the help so far

He looks worse than your original but still not too bad, I'm hopeful the metro can turn it around. If you cannot find Seachem Metroplex then API's General Cure is widely available and also has metronidazole in it, along with praziquantel. It's a fine second choice.

You can discontinue the salt baths, at this point it's likely just adding stress with little positive effect for him since this doesn't appear to be an ectoparasites issue.

Hope he feels better.

He looks worse than your original but still not too bad, I'm hopeful the metro can turn it around. If you cannot find Seachem Metroplex then API's General Cure is widely available and also has metronidazole in it, along with praziquantel. It's a fine second choice.

You can discontinue the salt baths, at this point it's likely just adding stress with little positive effect for him since this doesn't appear to be an ectoparasites issue.

Thank you. I just ordered Metronidazole. It should be arriving tomorrow. Are there any tips or guidelines you suggest to follow when I dose him with it? Or should I just follow the  directions given to me on the bottle? 

also, I will do what you said and two 100% water changes ever other day once he begins treatment

The directions are for two measures of the metro and the epsom into the water after a complete water change.

On the next day you do nothing but watch the ammonia levels to make sure they're not climbing, and then the day after you put your fish in a bowl, change out all the water (match temperature and add water conditioner of course), add the metro and epsom again, and slip him back in.

Simple :)

The course will continue for fourteen days, but you should see some improvement in the first 4/5 days if he is responding to the treatment. Keep us updated as you go if anything changes, as we may need to order and try other medication if the metro doesn't do it.