Need advice on saving bio-media

Chris1251

• Supporter

Chris here... Hi, I just finished a quarintine period of over three months and now I extra media that won't fit in my AC70's because I'm running them full on my 40g.... :hummm

I would hate to loose it, so I need your advice... :idont Right now it is sitting in tank water from yesterday's 100% WC....

F6341F46-CFD3-4012-B853-80A312BD09EE_zps

• Supporter

So do you just want to store it for later use? If so, just wash, let it dry and put it away.

Or do you want to keep your biomedium cycled?

I would love to keep it cycled if possible... Edited by Chris1251

I have 2 bags in my aquarium. One sitting on the bottom. One clamped to the side. One thing to remember is that the tank will only support as much bacteria as there is ammonia to feed it. The population will die back if there isn't enough food.

If you want it out of the aquarium put in an air stone in the bucket + tank water/dechlorinated water.  Buy some pure ammonia from ace hardware store (janitor strength-i use this stuff all the time on fish-less tanks), or buy ammonia with no additives (dyes, fragrances, or other chemicals).  Use this calculator to figure out ammonia doses daily(scroll down):

http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/modules/smartsection/item.php?itemid=51&keywords=cycling

You may also went a needleness syringe (look at oral baby med syringes on ebay/amazon) for easy dosing.

Test the ammonia level each day to see if its all being consumed before adding more (don't 'over feed' you beneficial bacteria).  Once the bacteria is consistently consuming all the ammonia each day you don't have to test any more, just dose daily.

Do weekly/bi weekly water change to remove nitrates so when you finally use the media again is doesn't spike nitrates in the tank it goes in.

Edited by AquaAurora

• Supporter

So do you just want to store it for later use? If so, just wash, let it dry and put it away.

Or do you want to keep your biomedium cycled?

I would love to keep it cycled if possible...

For how long?

You can toss the bags in a container of water with some aeration and put in a bit of ammonia from time to time.

If you want it out of the aquarium put in an air stone in the bucket + tank water/dechlorinated water. Buy some pure ammonia from ace hardware store (janitor strength-i use this stuff all the time on fish-less tanks), or buy ammonia with no additives (dyes, fragrances, or other chemicals). Use this calculator to figure out ammonia doses daily(scroll down):

http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/modules/smartsection/item.php?itemid=51&keywords=cycling

You may also went a needleness syringe (look at oral baby med syringes on ebay/amazon) for easy dosing.

Test the ammonia level each day to see if its all being consumed before adding more (don't 'over feed' you beneficial bacteria). Once the bacteria is consistently consuming all the ammonia each day you don't have to test any more, just dose daily.

Do weekly/bi weekly water change to remove nitrates so when you finally use the media again is doesn't spike nitrates in the tank it goes in.

Chris here... Thank you all... I will put in a tub with the Airstone and feed it.... I was wondering... I'm waiting on some duck weed to arrive... Would it work to put the duck weed with it in the same tub??? Would they support each other??? :hummm

Chris here... Thank you all... I will put in a tub with the Airstone and feed it.... I was wondering... I'm waiting on some duck weed to arrive... Would it work to put the duck weed with it in the same tub??? Would they support each other??? :hummm

Nope.  Duckweed will compete with the biobugs for the ammonia.

• Supporter

Nope.  Duckweed will compete with the biobugs for the ammonia.

Oh dang... :(. I was hoping the do double duty... :bubbles

duckweed would consume the ammonia while it had a sufficient light source to photosynthesize (duckweed is a lot light plant so doesn't need much), the beneficial bacteria(BB) would only get to eat when there is no light, but by then the duckweed might have consumed most of the ammonia (depending on when you feed).

Hypothetically, if you feed at night/dark time ammonia and give it 12-16 hours of dark the BB could consume first, then lights on and duckweed gets what's left/consumes produced nitrates, then lights off and feed again.

Or you can try doing larger doses of ammonia to ensure some is there even with duckweed absorbing it, but I can't say what % more to add have live plants in.

When I fish-less cycle with pure ammonia in a planted tank everything but the fish is in, all the plants and the filter, so I just dose normally and what the plant's don't finish the BB will form and get. But I should note these are betta tanks I'm talking about-waaaaay smaller bio loads than a goldfish.  I also usually dose before a short lights off period so the bb does get some.