KG Shirt Give Away!

koko

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I found a snail in my plant QT tank. [emoji24] I don't want to kill it, but I've seen a snail infestation and it ain't pretty. [emoji43]

is it definitely a nuisance snail? If it is I wouldn't hesitate to kill it myself, I had an infestation in my aquaclear filter once. It took me a while to get rid of them entirely but I did it. What kind of plants are they?
I don't know for sure, the seller was selling nerites so I suppose it could be a nerite. It's tiny and brown. The plants are vesuvius swords, an anubias, and some bacopa. There are no fish in the QT so I didn't bother with a filter or a heater. Come to think of it, I didn't condition the water, either. That is one hardy snail!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

022_zpszlm795bu.jpg

This pvc water bridge cost more than my 2 75gs combined! (6" diameter is expensive x.x ) but it won't shatter or leak like a glass water bridge might (also making a glass water bridge for 2 tanks at a 90 degree angle is a pain!)

Edited by AquaAurora

I found a snail in my plant QT tank. [emoji24] I don't want to kill it, but I've seen a snail infestation and it ain't pretty. [emoji43]

is it definitely a nuisance snail? If it is I wouldn't hesitate to kill it myself, I had an infestation in my aquaclear filter once. It took me a while to get rid of them entirely but I did it. What kind of plants are they?
I don't know for sure, the seller was selling nerites so I suppose it could be a nerite. It's tiny and brown. The plants are vesuvius swords, an anubias, and some bacopa. There are no fish in the QT so I didn't bother with a filter or a heater. Come to think of it, I didn't condition the water, either. That is one hardy snail!

Can I see a pic of it? I can tell you if it is a nerite or not. 

022_zpszlm795bu.jpg

This pvc water bridge cost more than my 2 75gs combined! (6" diameter is expensive x.x ) but it won't shatter or leak like a glass water bridge might (also making a glass water bridge for 2 tanks at a 90 degree angle is a pain!)

Wow! I would love to see pictures!

Yes, absolutely, as soon as I can find it again.

I caught it! I think it's probably definitely a pest snail, but I'm hoping it's not. While we're at it, is that a bug in the top of the picture? Do you know what it is? If it is, I might burn the entire lot and stick with silk plants. [emoji27] Yes, I am that much of a wuss.

f1323fab3917dbec50fafe1b733158e2.jpg

Edited by Mothercrow

Actually its a bladder snail, but many people call both pond and bladder snails just 'pond snail'.

photo to show difference between pond and bladder snail

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y109/prissmonster/aquaria/9e930a0b.jpg

Its considered a pest snail but I don't mind them in my tanks as they eat uneaten fish food, dead plant matter, diatoms (aka brown algae), biofilm (if you don't have surface agitation/flow), and even the fungus that grows on newly submerged driftwood.

They only explode in population when 1 or more of the food sources is in abundance.

I don't know if all goldfish will but I noticed mine eat them.

If you want them gone you can buy a pack of "No Planaria" online, its made from a nut extract that has a neat side effect of killing snails (harmless to fish, shrimp, and plants).

Not 100% sure on the bug above it but it looks a bit like a Damselfly or Dragonfly nymph

http://www.troutnut.com/im_regspec/picture_1525_medium.jpg

http://www.troutnut.com/im_regspec/picture_1107_medium.jpg

If you want a good creeping out google "Bugs you might encounter in your aquarium", plenty of macro shots of a lot of nasty creepy crawlies

Edited by AquaAurora

I'm already set up for nightmares of my tanks exploding, I don't need to be seeing creepy crawlies too!   :hide:

I have nightmares of over stocked tanks or finding forgotten fish that I've not fed in over a month

I don't get breaks :rofl my break is when customers aren't in the store which at times can be a half hour or longer depending on the day and weather lol