Sign in to follow this  
amoonklein

Hugo is Prickly

Hi guys :)

Popping in for a quick update. All is well in QT. We are maintaining our temperature and he is getting daily 100% water changes. We are on Day 7 of epsom salt and Antibiotic II food (although it has been difficult to make sure he eats his full 2%). His scales are totally flat :D There is one scale missing... not sure when that happened.

That's great news! Woohoo! We get the occasional missing scale here too, it's not a huge deal unless you see more falling off or observe some flashing or banging against the tank or decor :)

Hi guys :)

Popping in for a quick update. All is well in QT. We are maintaining our temperature and he is getting daily 100% water changes. We are on Day 7 of epsom salt and Antibiotic II food (although it has been difficult to make sure he eats his full 2%). His scales are totally flat :D There is one scale missing... not sure when that happened.

That's great news! Woohoo! We get the occasional missing scale here too, it's not a huge deal unless you see more falling off or observe some flashing or banging against the tank or decor :)

Yeah, he doesn't seem to be bothered by it so I won't worry :)  We'll keep plugging along!

Good news!

Yay. Very glad.

Thanks, Ladies!

Chris here... Yay Hugo!!! So glad he is showing good improvement... :happydance

We are on day 9 of 10 and all is well :)

I will be headed out of town on Friday (which happens to be the first day Hugo will be off of his meds) and back home late Monday night.  Is there anything special I should ask my Mom (aka Fish Nanny) to do other than observe?  I can give him a 100% water change on Friday morning before we leave, but he won't get another water change until I get back home.  Will that be OK?  I don't want to add more stress for him as he is recuperating and I'm a little nervous about 3 days without a water change.  

I am also curious about food for him while I'm away.  Should I feed or fast?

Many thanks for suggestions :D

Hi Guys :)

We are officially on Day 1 in QT with no meds.  Wahoo!!  

Since I'm leaving to head out of town in about an hour, I've done a 100% water change and put some duckweed in his QT tank so he can nosh on that for a while.  My Mom will be keeping an eye on him until I get back on Monday night.  Once I'm home, he'll get a nice big water change.  That way, he's only in the same water for 2.5 days.

Is there anything I'm missing or forgetting?  I want to make sure he'll be as happy and comfortable as possible.

Thanks!

Good morning kokos :)

The power was out for a while over the weekend while I was away, but my Mom was keeping an eye on everyone and all seemed to be well when I got home.  Hugo was a bit mopey, but I'd be mopey too if I was in the same water for 2.5 days.  As soon as he got a water change, he perked right back up.

We are on Day 6 of no meds and we are plugging along.  His scales are still flat, his activity level is good, and always has a great appetite.

How long should I keep him in QT and observe before I put him back in with his buddies?

The power was out for a while over the weekend while I was away, but my Mom was keeping an eye on everyone and all seemed to be well when I got home.  Hugo was a bit mopey, but I'd be mopey too if I was in the same water for 2.5 days.  As soon as he got a water change, he perked right back up.

We are on Day 6 of no meds and we are plugging along.  His scales are still flat, his activity level is good, and always has a great appetite.

How long should I keep him in QT and observe before I put him back in with his buddies?

I would say keep him in there for aleast another 3-4 days hun.. :)

I would say keep him in there for aleast another 3-4 days hun.. :)

Sounds good to me!  Thanks, koko :D

Hi Guys.

Hugo is still plugging along in his QT.  Assuming all continues to be well with him, he's scheduled to join his buddies in the main tank in a few days.  

Before that happens, I wanted to mention a few things that I am noticing in the main tank.  Being the Nervous Nelly that I am, I'm not sure if I'm being paranoid or if I'm picking up on something that is out of whack... either way, I want to get it sorted before reintroducing Hugo.

I'm happy to start a new D&D thread if you'd like, but for now I'll just post these things here and wait for some guru direction :)

There is a lot of surface piping going on... especially from Studly who seems to be hanging out just near the surface and almost constantly pipes.

Biggie and Huck have been swimming through the bubbles... a lot.  Not all the time, but when they do it's for extended periods and makes me wonder what they are up to.

^ I checked the dissolved oxygen and after 4 days without a water change, it was reading at 8mg/L (which I think is decent?) so I'm not sure if it's lack of oxygen that is causing the surface piping/bubble swimming/eating.b

Ralph and Abby have been bottom sitting off and on throughout the last 2 days.  Dorsals are up, but it's weird to see them sitting on the bottom to rest.  As soon as I come up to the tank they are wiggly and begging for food.

I have also been seeing some stringy poo... Harvey has had it and studly has had it, but I can't tell if anyone else has stringy poo.  Kind of white and/or a little clearish.

Hef has been looking a bit more sad than usual... he's less active and when not swimming, he's resting at the top of the tank like a cute little buoy.

I may be reading into things and I kinda hoping that I am, but I'd prefer to rule out a potential problem so that I can feel good about Hugo going back home.  I am really hoping that I didn't introduce something into the tank when I added Huck.  Plus, the last thing I'd want to do is get him sick again after he just finished his treatment.

Just so we dont get all confused make another thread hun :)

Just so we dont get all confused make another thread hun :)

Will do :)  Thanks, Koko.

Yup, new thread!