Sign in to follow this  
amoonklein

Hugo is Prickly

Hi Guys,

I was hoping to ask for some help/advice on my big guy, Hugo.  I noticed that he is getting prickly and his scales are lifting :(  He has been a little less active over the past few weeks, but I didn't question it since he's typically active when I am by the tank, has a great appetite, and his fins have been perky with dorsal nice and high.  His pokey scales are a not so pleasant surprise and hopefully I've caught whatever is going on early enough that he'll be feeling better soon.

Test Results for the Following

Ammonia Level

- Tank: 0 ppm  

- Tap: between 0.25 - 0.5 ppm (closer to 0.5 ppm)

Nitrite Level

- Tank: 0 ppm  

- Tap: 0 ppm

Nitrate Level

- Tank: 10 - 20 ppm (closer to 10ppm) prior to their water change this afternoon

- Tap: 0 ppm 

PH Level

- Tank: 8.0 - 8.2 (closer to 8.2)  

- Tap: 8.0 - 8.2 (closer to 8.2) 

Other Required Info

Brand of Test Kit Used:  API drops

Water Temperature: 73 degrees

Tank Size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?

120 Gallon Tank - running since June 2016.  Sump added to the tank on August 28th and total water volume is currently ~150 gallons.  Media for the sump came from my canister so everything is cycled and has been since January 2016.

What is the name and size of the filter(s)?

DIY sump set-up as an emerged trickle filter with some submerged media.  It's a 40G breeder that holds ~20-25 gallons when running, currently pushing 550 gph with a Kedsum 550 pump.  I can provide pictures if it's helpful to see the sump.

How often do you change the water and how much?

Water is changed at least once a week, 80-90%

How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?

Water is being changed as I type this, approximately 80%.  Walls of the tank (and sump) are scrubbed and water is siphoned out of both the tank and sump.

How many fish in the tank and their size?

There are currently 8 fancy goldfish in the tank, 3 orandas and 5 ryukins:

- Hugo (oranda) is 4" SL and ~2" wide

- Studly (ryukin) is 2.5" SL and ~1.5" wide

- Ralph (ryukin) is 2" SL and ~1" wide

- Hef (oranda) is 3" SL and ~1.5" wide

- Huck (oranda) is 3.5" SL and ~1.5" wide

- 3 Juvenille Ryukins (Biggie, Abby, Harvey) are each ~2" SL and less than 1" wide

Let me know if you'd also like their weight in grams.  I have a scale that can do this.

What kind of water additives or conditioners?

Prime.  I also use Baking Soda to stabilize my PH.  1 tsp per 20 gallons keeps the PH between 8-8.2.

What do you feed your fish and how often? How frequently do you feed each?

It varies, but they eat mostly Repashy Super Green and/or Soilent Green, frozen blood worms/brine shrimp/spirulina brine shrimp, blanched spinach, the occasional pea, Veggie tank mates, and NLS Thera A+ .5 mm pellets.  Feeding is typically once/twice a day (unless I'm home on the weekend when they get small meals up to 3x day.  I fast them at least once a week.

Any new fish added to the tank?

Huck (an oranda) was added to the tank last week, but Hugo has been less active prior to the new addition and everyone's overall behavior has been exactly the same.

Any medications added to the tank?

Nope.

List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank.  Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.

Initial quarantine period for all fancies included 0.3% salt with prazi.  

Hugo hasn't had any other medications besides salt and prazi (during his initial QT period) and then maintenance rounds of prazi here and there.  The last round of prazi was right before I added Huck to the tank since it had been a while.

Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt", bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

Prickly scales

Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc?

Aside from the occasional surface piping, Hugo is behaving like a normal goldfish but he has been a little less active than normal.  By less active, I mean he is resting (sleeping) more than he used to.  He doesn't bottom sit though, he is always hovering a bit above the bottom of the tank and his dorsal is typically nice and high... no drooping.

I took a few videos to show his raised scales.

I have a shallow rubbermaid tub (70 QT)that I can use for a QT and also have the following medications on hand:

Epsom salt, kosher salt, prazi, metro powder, kanaplex, doxycycline powder, nitro green powder, acrifalvine, triple sulfa, antiprotozoan flakes, antibiotic flakes I & II, colloidal silver, and Ken's medicated fish food. 

Any advice is most welcome.  Hopefully Hugo will be feeling better soon.

How old is Hugo? Any injuries or stress at all that you have noticed besides the prickliness and more sleeping?

How old is Hugo? Any injuries or stress at all that you have noticed besides the prickliness and more sleeping?

I'm not sure about his age.  I've had him since the beginning of the year... I picked him (and the ryukins) up from a LFS in early January but I'm not sure how old he is.  He was the biggest lug in the tank but a gentle giant :)  

Chris here... Hugo (bouffant baby) really needs to get better soon... :ill:

Chris here... Hugo (bouffant baby) really needs to get better soon... :ill:

Thanks, Chris :)  I'll make sure he gets the well wishes.

Wishing him well. That's a BIGGG floppy wen. His face is so cute.

Thank you :D  His wiggly wen sure is cute... but I'm biased  :teehee

Hmmm, is it possible he picked up something from the new arrival or were you pretty vigorous with your quarantine?

I'd like to start him on Epsom salt in the hospital tank/bin and the oxytetracycline flake food you have, and we will run a ten day course. Do you need directions to feed it properly or do you know them? Feed nothing else, obviously :).

We want his water very clean, so probably daily changes are best along with an air stone and heater set to 76-78 degrees (if he seems agitated we can drop it a bit).

Hmmm, is it possible he picked up something from the new arrival or were you pretty vigorous with your quarantine?

I'd like to start him on Epsom salt in the hospital tank/bin and the oxytetracycline flake food you have, and we will run a ten day course. Do you need directions to feed it properly or do you know them? Feed nothing else, obviously :).

We want his water very clean, so probably daily changes are best along with an air stone and heater set to 76-78 degrees (if he seems agitated we can drop it a bit).

Huck had a 1 month QT.  He had 2 weeks on .3% salt and 3 rounds of prazi (dosed continuously over 3 weeks).  I hope Hugo didn't pick something up from Huck :(  I'd feel like a total jerk if that's the case. 

Either way, I'll get Hugo set up in the tub tomorrow and will treat as you indicated in your post.  I haven't fed the medicated flake food before... what amount do you suggest?

Thank you very much!!

A month is a little short, but probably not the end of the world. I'm hoping he doesn't have a parasite that was resistant to the salt, but the oxy should help us eliminate that as a possibility.

Here are the feeding instructions:

http://www.angelsplus.com/ArticleFeedingMedFoods.htm

Main thing is to feed plenty of it all day long, and do NOT let it sit in the water. Like one small bite at a time.

You can weigh the food out for body weight to be sure he is getting the minimum if you're anal like me ;)

A month is a little short, but probably not the end of the world. I'm hoping he doesn't have a parasite that was resistant to the salt, but the oxy should help us eliminate that as a possibility.

Here are the feeding instructions:

http://www.angelsplus.com/ArticleFeedingMedFoods.htm

Main thing is to feed plenty of it all day long, and do NOT let it sit in the water. Like one small bite at a time.

You can weigh the food out for body weight to be sure he is getting the minimum if you're anal like me ;)

Darn, I hope that isn't the case either.  Fingers/fins crossed I didn't introduce something into the main tank.

Thanks for the linky on the med food.  And yes, I'm a little anal so I'll end up weighing it out :D

My Mom is typically home during the day and can help make sure he's getting a constant bite supply throughout the day :)  She's a great fish nanny... plus she loves to wander over to the tanks and talk to the goldies.

Sounds great! Keep me apprised of his progress, you should see improvement by 4-5 days into the treatment in terms of activity and swelling.

Hope Hugo feels better.

Thanks, Dawn!

Sounds great! Keep me apprised of his progress, you should see improvement by 4-5 days into the treatment in terms of activity and swelling.

Will do!  Thank you bunches!!!

Hugo says hello from his QT:

20160919_202647_zpsuqhp55xi.jpg

He's chillin :)

The QT is holding 15 gallons of water. I have .75 tsp of epsom in the tank with him and the temp is at a nice 76.3 degrees at the moment. We are still fine tuning the heater.

Hugo weighs in at 141 grams so I have measured out 2.82 grams of the antibiotic II flake food for him to nosh on tomorrow. He already got a small nibble and greedily ate it from my fingers so I think he'll do well on his schedule :D

Edited by amoonklein

hi allie! here's good wishes for darling hugo! what a dear cutie! good vibes from oregon ;) xristina

Sounds good - what a big boy! He's like 2/3 wen by weight, too :teehee

hi allie! here's good wishes for darling hugo! what a dear cutie! good vibes from oregon ;) xristina

Thank you :)  He seems to be happy in his QT so hopefully he breezes through his treatment and is feeling better in no time!

Sounds good - what a big boy! He's like 2/3 wen by weight, too :teehee

Hee hee!  The bigger it gets, the more it lists to one side, like he's trying to be cool and cover one eye :)

Hugo says hello from his QT:20160919_202647_zpsuqhp55xi.jpg

He's chillin :)

The QT is holding 15 gallons of water. I have .75 tsp of epsom in the tank with him and the temp is at a nice 76.3 degrees at the moment. We are still fine tuning the heater.

Hugo weighs in at 141 grams so I have measured out 2.82 grams of the antibiotic II flake food for him to nosh on tomorrow. He already got a small nibble and greedily ate it from my fingers so I think he'll do well on his schedule :D

Chris here... That bouffant gets every time I see it!!! :tomuch:

Popping in for a quick update.

Yesterday, Hugo had a 100% water change and ate almost all of his food for the day... we were a little shy of our 2% goal but he sure did try his best.  He definitely has a great appetite and now anytime my fingers are in his QT, he's nibbling all over them thinking he's going to get something tasty  :teehee

He is already looking better too.  His scales are much less prickly... not flat yet, but way better than they were the other day :)

We keep fluctuating temperature with the heater (because I'm fiddling with it trying to get it steady).  Trying to stay in the 76-77 range but I got home last night and it was 75.8 so I adjusted and woke up this morning to 77.4.  SO CLOSE.  I'll get there eventually.

All in all good progress!

Those temp fluctuations won't hurt anything, don't worry. I'm gladness his appetite has been awesome and his scales are looking better. Yay!

Sorry to hear about Hugo and his scales. He is such an adorable babe! Good to hear that he is improving.

Sorry to hear about Hugo and his scales. He is such an adorable babe! Good to hear that he is improving.

Thank you :)  He is a pretty spry guy and is taking QT like a champ

All my best to Hugo! Spunky little guy :wub:

Thanks!  He's definitely spunky and keeps trying to eat my fingers even when there isn't anything there to eat.

Hi guys :)

Popping in for a quick update.  All is well in QT.  We are maintaining our temperature and he is getting daily 100% water changes.  We are on Day 7 of epsom salt and Antibiotic II food (although it has been difficult to make sure he eats his full 2%).  His scales are totally flat :D  There is one scale missing... not sure when that happened.