Mr. Potato Head is floatie :(

Chris1251

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Supporter

Chris here... Mr. Potato Head is not butt up nor floaty in the tub this morning but he is crooked swimming, listing to one side or the other... Silly fish.... Not getting excited yet because his floatiness has been random... I was reading on Amoonklein post about water issues, Shakaho recommended a skimmer for the tank... I looked at the diy video... Looks simple enough... Do you think this would be beneficial for my tank??? The floatiness Mr. Potato Head has is self inflicted by eating bubbles at the top of the tank... Now two of my other babies are starting to do the same behavior... But as yet they have not become floaty... your imput is greatly appreciated.... :)

• Supporter

The skimmer will clean off the surface film.  With no bubbles or edibles, your fish should stop slurping.

Ok.... I will build one and get it on the tank... Fingers and fins crossed that it makes a difference for all of them... :Jig:

• Supporter

Chris here... Built the skimmer and it's in the tank... Got to figure out how to camouflage it.... NOT the prettiest thing to look at.... I sure do hope that it it's an effective fix so that Mr. Potato Head can get over being floaty... it's been running all night...

Shakaho, how soon should I try to put Mr. Potato Head back in the tank??? To day is day 3 of being in the in low water tub. His was butt down all day yesterday and is still but down this morning... :)

Edit: Should I run the skimmer 24/7 or a specific number of hours per day, or a couple days per week???

Thanks!!!

Edited by Chris1251

I've tried something for the last several days that may minimize the surface slurping. I have one goldfish that had been doing surface slurping after eating, which then resulted in several hours of floating at the top. Now, after feeding them, each time this one goldfish would go to the surface, I would gently push him back down with a spoon and say "Down, down." I did this the first time yesterday morning. I had to hang around the tank for two hours to do this training. As a result no floating. Then at the evening feeding, I hung out for about 45 minutes and used the spoon while saying "down, down." Now this morning, I noticed that I did not have to use the spoon and words that much--he did not go to the surface as often. I did hang out for 30 minutes this time. This goldfish responded to "down, down" so I didn't have to use the spoon much. I'll do the same tonight. Hopefully with some consistency and patience on my part, this goldfish will be trained to minimize the surface slurping and avoid being floating for hours at a time.

• Supporter

I've tried something for the last several days that may minimize the surface slurping. I have one goldfish that had been doing surface slurping after eating, which then resulted in several hours of floating at the top. Now, after feeding them, each time this one goldfish would go to the surface, I would gently push him back down with a spoon and say "Down, down." I did this the first time yesterday morning. I had to hang around the tank for two hours to do this training. As a result no floating. Then at the evening feeding, I hung out for about 45 minutes and used the spoon while saying "down, down." Now this morning, I noticed that I did not have to use the spoon and words that much--he did not go to the surface as often. I did hang out for 30 minutes this time. This goldfish responded to "down, down" so I didn't have to use the spoon much. I'll do the same tonight. Hopefully with some consistency and patience on my part, this goldfish will be trained to minimize the surface slurping and avoid being floating for hours at a time.

Hi Lisa, I'll give that a try.... :). Thank you!!! I just put Mr. Potato Head back in the tank... Oh!!! He is such a happy boy right now... He was seriously missing his tank mates... And I think his tank mates were missing that bossy boy as well... :rofl3

I'm hoping that skimmer will help change his behavior... fingers and fin are crossed.... :bubbles

Poor little man. These issues tend to be chronic. Maybe a permanent shallow home is what he needs. It didn't help my fish as her swim bladder had already detached by the time the sinking became chronic, but it helps many head standers and floaters.

• Supporter

Sorry. Did you eliminate the Hikari food? So many have had floating issues with that food.

Yes... their may stay has been duckweed, peas and some repashy ( a couple of bites) that's it for a couple of weeks now... :(

Try feeding duckweed only in a spacious shallow container.  You want the minimum depth that covers him.  The more he swims in an upright position, the better he gets at it.  After a month of normal swimming in the swallow tank,  you can try gradually raising the water level.  Maybe he can eventually return the the main tank, but certainly not soon.  

If you can make space for for a large underbed tote, you can put a friend in with him.  I have kept two adult fish in a 10 gallon underbed tote for two weeks with daily 100% water changes and no filter.  With a large tote you can add a filter and not have to change so much water.

After two weeks of duckweed only, you can add floating pellets one at a time.  You want minimum contact between the pellet and the water before the fish eats it to avoid creating an edible film.

• Supporter

Try feeding duckweed only in a spacious shallow container.  You want the minimum depth that covers him.  The more he swims in an upright position, the better he gets at it.  After a month of normal swimming in the swallow tank,  you can try gradually raising the water level.  Maybe he can eventually return the the main tank, but certainly not soon.  

If you can make space for for a large underbed tote, you can put a friend in with him.  I have kept two adult fish in a 10 gallon underbed tote for two weeks with daily 100% water changes and no filter.  With a large tote you can add a filter and not have to change so much water.

After two weeks of duckweed only, you can add floating pellets one at a time.  You want minimum contact between the pellet and the water before the fish eats it to avoid creating an edible film.

Thank you... :heart I will move both to a low water tub... I also will get some more duckweed, since I have that special "no" growth skill with plants... grrrrrrrr.

• Supporter

Chris here... Both my fatties are in a low water tub.... I will be feeding duck weed exclusively... My tank has the two babies in it all by themselves.... needless to say the fatties are going into pout mode.... Poor babies.... :(

• Supporter

Chris here... pictures of the Fatties in their Floaty suite at the no tell motel.... They are not pleased with the accommodations... :rofl3. As you can see by the stink eye they are giving me.... :yikes

DC983D65-3E34-47F6-A114-E9D967E5C2FA_zps

9AB76626-6150-4D32-B7F6-76510E8868FC_zps

:)

I love the glass gems--nice touch!

The training of my oranda worked for a while, but I missed a couple of days so he went back to surface slurping. I've floated a couple of plastic colanders in the tank and he doesn't surface slurp any more and thus no floating. Kind of unsightly. I'll take the colanders out soon to see if there are any lasting effects. If not, I'll put the colanders back in the tank.

I figured out that my other goldfish will push this oranda to the top when it is feeding time. So I think that is potentially why he developed a habit of surface slurping--at the top the other goldfish doesn't push him around during feeding time. With the colanders in the tank, this oranda gets a bit more aggressive with the other goldfish so the pushing lessens.

Edited by LisaCGold

• Supporter

Hi Lisa... If their time in the no tell motel and the surface skimmer in the tank fail, I just may give your idea a try... :hmm

I love the glass gems--nice touch!

The training of my oranda worked for a while, but I missed a couple of days so he went back to surface slurping. I've floated a couple of plastic colanders in the tank and he doesn't surface slurp any more and thus no floating. Kind of unsightly. I'll take the colanders out soon to see if there are any lasting effects. If not, I'll put the colanders back in the tank.

I figured out that my other goldfish will push this oranda to the top when it is feeding time. So I think that is potentially why he developed a habit of surface slurping--at the top the other goldfish doesn't push him around during feeding time. With the colanders in the tank, this oranda gets a bit more aggressive with the other goldfish so the pushing lessens.

They may not be happy with accommodations, but they sure are adorable!!!

Hi Allie... They may be adorable, but they are stinkers first!!! They are have too much fun splashing around in in there new digs... I here a splash and go see what they are up too, they look at me like "What???" ... :rofl3

I'm pretty sure my Ranchu Tom floats after eating too much and that includes all food I've given except for greens.

Tom basically is a gutsy little guy/gal and very smart when it comes to finding food.

IDK, but if he does eat too much this is when he likes to go to the surface and gulps more than if he hasn't eaten too much. Less bubbles definitely helps too buffering the bubbles with plants that float on the surface helped too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk