Mr. Potato Head is floatie :(

Chris1251

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin

Hey hun... lets feed them green beans for one day.. all you need to do is cook them till they are soft and give them maybe just one or two beans :)

Hi Koko, I'm heading to the market After a large WC... Should I buy fresh or fresh frozen??? Either way I will steam them and then attach it to a veggie clip... I already fed peas this morning but move to the green beans for the evening feeding.... Thank you!!! :food

Pre-WC test results: PH 8.0, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 5-10

:)

fresh is always better

• Supporter

Hey hun... lets feed them green beans for one day.. all you need to do is cook them till they are soft and give them maybe just one or two beans :)

Hi Koko, I'm heading to the market After a large WC... Should I buy fresh or fresh frozen??? Either way I will steam them and then attach it to a veggie clip... I already fed peas this morning but move to the green beans for the evening feeding.... Thank you!!! :food

Pre-WC test results: PH 8.0, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 5-10 :)

fresh is always better

Chris here.... Koko, after I steam the green beans, should I then chop them up into tiny pieces??? The reason I'm asking is that I seamed 3 beans, with both ends cut off... So I took one of them (whole) and put in a veggie clip... And the entertainment has begun... All four fish are trying to eat this one loan bean and it refuses to cooperate... And of course Mr. Potato Head knows that this bean is his exclusively... :rofl3 So he try's to protect it... So every time he chases some one way another sneaks in for a bite... But no one gets any cause the beans outer skin won't let them truly bite thru... So I assume that I was supposed to chop it up...

But I'm an evil momma, I'm enjoying the show... :tomuch:

:donthit:

• Admin

fresh is always better

Chris here.... Koko, after I steam the green beans, should I then chop them up into tiny pieces??? The reason I'm asking is that I seamed 3 beans, with both ends cut off... So I took one of them (whole) and put in a veggie clip... And the entertainment has begun... All four fish are trying to eat this one loan bean and it refuses to cooperate... And of course Mr. Potato Head knows that this bean is his exclusively... :rofl3 So he try's to protect it... So every time he chases some one way another sneaks in for a bite... But no one gets any cause the beans outer skin won't let them truly bite thru... So I assume that I was supposed to chop it up...

But I'm an evil momma, I'm enjoying the show... :tomuch:

:donthit:

They should be soft enough you can kinda squish them :o

• Supporter

fresh is always better

But I'm an evil momma, I'm enjoying the show... :tomuch::donthit:

They are squishy... It's just the outer skin is kind of tough and inside is soft... :idont Edited by Chris1251

• Admin

fresh is always better

They are squishy... It's just the outer skin is kind of tough and inside is soft... :idont

I would then cut them up hun... how did they do?

• Supporter

fresh is always better

They are squishy... It's just the outer skin is kind of tough and inside is soft... :idont

I would then cut them up hun... how did they do?

Hi Koko, I took down the bean cause they all lost interest... Too tough... :( I then hung a piece of softer steamed broccoli just see if he would be interested in that... Well all the fishys are liking that... They are all grazing on it... More like a drive by bite and Mr. Potato Head is again trying to claim it as his exclusively... Every time he swims away here come the others for a bite... He is getting a little tired so he is less vigilant in his protection of the broccoli... I will do the beans for the morning feeding...

He is still floatie at night and his poo is long, white and kind of gel like or green like the peas and fluffy... :idont

• Supporter

Chris here... Well, the finely chopped green beans were a hit this morning... All the water babies were hovering them right up... I had to add a little more cause what I added was gone in heartbeat... And that was after hand feeding the repashy 2 bites per fish... All these babies seem to love veggies... :happydance

Will do green beans again this evening... I also took out the grazing broccoli... They made quite a dent in it over night... Now I'm gonna vacuum out poo... If I can see it then I know they are all poo-ing well with those veggies... :lol Of course not so much for Mr. P. :(

• Supporter

Chris here... The duck weed has finally arrived!!! I put it in a bucket of old tank water last night... I'll be setting up the tub and give it good sun today since it be in the mail for days and days... :rolleyes:

• Supporter

Chris... I put about 1/2t in the tank... Went upstairs to get cleaned up for the day, came back down to check the babies and there was no duck weed in the tank.... :hummm I wonder where it went??? :rofl3

Edited by Chris1251

• Supporter

Chris here... Mr. P still has daily floaty periods.. :(. And he goes to the top as sucks bubbles till he gets floaty... crazy fish... the duck weed has arrived and all the babies are enjoying it... any advice on how to get him to stop sucking bubbles till he gets floaty??? Water numbers are good... peas are daily, green beans, carrots are not a favorite, but broccoli is a hit... :wall

Water: PH8.0, Ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 0-5

Last WC 9/27. Next WC tomorrow or Tues based on water test...

• Supporter

Chris here... one more question... do I change the water for the duck weed or just add some tank water for evaporation??? If I do have to change it, how often??? :)

• Helper

Good question - you can top it off with old tank water and refresh it every week or two, as needed. You don't want it getting putrid but it needs to be tank water or there won't be nutrients to help the duckweed grow.

• Supporter

Good question - you can top it off with old tank water and refresh it every week or two, as needed. You don't want it getting putrid but it needs to be tank water or there won't be nutrients to help the duckweed grow.

Thanks!!! I'll add more WC water tomorrow....

Chris here... Mr. P still has daily floaty periods.. :(. And he goes to the top as sucks bubbles till he gets floaty... crazy fish... the duck weed has arrived and all the babies are enjoying it... any advice on how to get him to stop sucking bubbles till he gets floaty??? Water numbers are good... peas are daily, green beans, carrots are not a favorite, but broccoli is a hit... :wall

Feed him duckweed only in his own shallow container.  Without bubbles, he can't eat bubbles.

• Supporter

Feed him duckweed only in his own shallow container.  Without bubbles, he can't eat bubbles.

Hi Shakaho, do I do this just at feeding or do I move him in to a tub for a period of time???

Tub.  No bubbles.  I like an underbed tote with plenty of swimming space and no more than 6" of water, ideally just enough that his dorsal doesn't stick out of the water.  You want him swimming in an upright position.

• Supporter

Ok... will try it... :) He is the same... Radom floaty a couple times a day... mostly at night... eating well and lots of "pea & broccoli poos". Messy stuff... I did 100% we yesterday, boy the holding tub got to pretty green with 4 babies pooping and farting while I changed the water in the tank... and I do believe that they all farted a whole lot!!! :fart It was a mess by the time I got them back into the tank... I had added duck weed to the tub so they could snack... :food

:crazy:

• Supporter

Broccoli and peas both have the potential to produce gas.  Duckweed, seaweed, and leafy greens that aren't in the cabbage family don't.

I have seaweed on order... should be here soon... I could really do without all the farting.... I'm using my battery hand vac daily to to remove the free floating farting material... :wall

• Supporter

Chris here.... Today was wc day... moved Mr Potato Head in to a low water tub... (6"). He will be on duckweed daily... he is pouting, I thought to share his stink eye... I will turn off the air stone at feeding time... ????????????

0438A1C7-F0E2-4E5C-B7B1-CEF452791522_zps

0AA6547E-F9BE-4001-8636-25004C6D8FE6_zps