Mr. Potato Head is floatie :(

Chris1251

• Supporter

Chris here... Mr. Potato Head is struggling this evening with floatiness... For the last week or so he has been randomly swimming the surface chasing bubbles... Also floating cockeyed in the evening around the tank... Listing to one side or the other... At about a 45 degree angle. But tonight he is struggling to swim down and stay at a lower level in the tank... He can get there to eat but he has to work at it... When he tires, he floats right back up to just below surface :(

Tank details:

40 gallons, 36" long, 18" wide, 17" high. Tank started 9/6/16... All media transferred from 20 gallon... Cycle held... No bump occurred...

3 fish, Mr. P 5", Hindenburg 2 1/2, little fishy 2 1/2

Tank water results prior to today's 70% WC... Previous WC 9-13 50%

PH 8.0, Ammonia .25, nitrite 0, nitrate 5

Tap water: PH 8.2, ammonia .25, nitrite 0, nitrate 0

Water additives: Prime

Water temp 70 degrees...

Food: Repashy SG, sinking pellets Hikari Lionhead and NLS Thera+A

Tonight added blanched/shelled peas... Mr. P ate several.

:please

Please advise how I can help him get over his new found floatiness...

Thank so much...

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Supporter

i would eliminate Hikari Lionhead from their diet all together. i used this for a short time and found that it gave floating issues to a long bodied oranda i once had. and just to clarify, did you add peas to their current diet or did you replace their current diet with peas?

for a 24 hour period, feed nothing but peas.. you only need to feed twice or a small portion 3 times. then fast for another 24 hours. if this is a recent occurrence, then this should solve the problem. you can try introducing Hikari Lionhead after a week or so and see if that food is the issue. usually a random floaty issue is diet related on either the wrong foods or too much feeding.

are you currently cycling a filter? i wonder why there is 0.25ppm ammonia in the readings. usually with a cycle, the ammonia will drop to zero within the first 24 hours if it is present in the new water from the tap.

• Supporter

Hi Helen, Yes, so far the floatiness seam to be random... I add the peas last evening and all three were loving them like dessert.... Mr.P definitely ate his fair share of then even though he had to work really hard to get them.... This morning he is not working at staying low on the tank. So I will feed peas exclusively today and fast him tomorrow.... I'll put him in a floating basket at the times I feed the others, and remove the Lionhead from their diet...

The .25 ammonia was actually 0-.25... I'm still working with a WC change schedule for the bigger tank... I had the 2-AC70s on their lowest setting to see how much I should adjust then to the new tank size and the 2 new babies added in the mix... So after 4 days post WC seeing trace ammonia I have moved the the flow up by 1/2 and did the 70 % WC... I'm testing the water daily for the the next 2 weeks just be really sure the cycle is stable in the new tank... My cycle has always on the fragile side... :(

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!!!! :happydance

• Supporter

Chris here...  Here are the details presented on the form...   :)  Water results are for today 9-17

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank) 0
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank) 0
    • * Nitrate level(Tank) 0-5
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap) .25
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap) 0
    • * Nitrate level(Tap) 0
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 8.0
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 8.2
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?  Drops/API
      • * Water temperature?  70 degrees
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?  40g since 9-6
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? 2-AC70's
      • * How often do you change the water and how much? So far twice a week 50 - 70 % (still adjusting to larger tank)
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 1 day, 70%
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size?  3, 1- 5" ranchu, 1- 2 1/2 " pearlscale, 1- 2 1/2" ryukin
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?  Prime
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often?  Repashy Soilent Green, Pellets ( Hikari Lionhead, and NLS Tetra +A)
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? 2- 2 1/2" babies
  • * Any medications added to the tank? none
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.  New Tank, tranfer from 20g and 2 babies from QT...  Last treatment = Prasi Pro for all fishes 9-6,  Each separately received a 14 day treatment
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?  Hinidenberg is recovering from some scale damage...  no meds required
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?  Mr. Potato Head is having intermittent Floaties and 45 degree lisiting/swimming for the last couple of days...  Fed all fish peas late last night...  Helen recommended peas only today... and to fast him tomorrow  so they(all 3)had peas for breakfast... :) and to remove the Hakri from their diet...
Edited by Chris1251

Follow Helen' advice.  I have heard enough reports from knowledgeable people of fish floating when fed Hikari foods to think we should not recommend this brand. 

Meanwhile, I suggest you get some duckweed (available on e-bay) and an underbed tote like this one.  If feeding peas only in the aquarium doesn't work for this fish, move him to the shallow tote and feed duckweed.  If feeding peas works, use the tote to grow duckweed to feed your healthy fish.  :) 

• Supporter

Hi Shakaho, I can try to grow the duckweed... I'm one of those rare people that can just look at a plant and it just lay down and dies... :( is there anything I should know about growing duckweed??? Actually That my husband should know??? He won't let me touch the plants out side. I am only allowed to tell him where to plant them.... :peeka

• Admin

Chris here... Thank you Koko!!! I ordered some on eBay this morning... It's coming in from Washington... Fingers and fins are crossed that I don't kill it with just a look.... :rofl3

:goodjob:lol:

• Supporter

Put it in a shallow container with lots of surface area, and feed it used fish water.  Duckweed likes fish waste as much as goldfish like duckweed.  It will need some light.

Will a quarintine tub work??? Will it grow inside near a window??? Afternoon sun??? :idont

:)

Put it in a shallow container with lots of surface area, and feed it used fish water.  Duckweed likes fish waste as much as goldfish like duckweed.  It will need some light.

Will a quarintine tub work??? Will it grow inside near a window??? Afternoon sun??? :idont

Yes, yes, and yes.  You might like to put some of it outdoors to determine where it does best.

• Supporter

Put it in a shallow container with lots of surface area, and feed it used fish water. Duckweed likes fish waste as much as goldfish like duckweed. It will need some light.

Will a quarintine tub work??? Will it grow inside near a window??? Afternoon sun??? :idont:)

Yes, yes, and yes. You might like to put some of it outdoors to determine where it does best.
Will do!!! :happydance

Now the test... Can I keep a plant alive!!! :rofl3

Edited by Chris1251

• Supporter

You know there exist companies that make their money killing unwanted duckweed.  Perhaps they might like to hire you for your plant-killing talent.  :)

If I didn't enjoy being retired so much... I might consider it! ROFL!!!! :rofl

• Supporter

Chris here.... Up date on Mr. Potato Head... His floatiness is still random... When it's most visible is in the evening.... Usually starting around 8pm... Last night he wasn't floating as high in the tank... Maybe about 2 inches Lower in the water... Morning and during the day time hours he swims tilting on and off and at more normal depths of water...

I have seen some colorless poo casings in the water today along with some pale green (pea color) floating in the water... And what looks like free floating green pea poo... I'm going to do a little house keeping with the battery mini vacuum in the tank today...

Water test results have been stable since the last WC on the 16th...

Pre WC test 9/16. PH: 8.0, Ammonia: .25, nitrite: 0, nitrate: 5

Post WC tests:

9/17 PH: 8.0, Ammonia: 0, nitrite: 0, nitrate: 0-5

9/18 PH: 8.0, Ammonia: 0, nitrite: 0, nitrate: 0-5

9/19 PH: 8.0, Ammonia: 0, nitrite: 0, nitrate: 5

9/20 PH: 8.0, Ammonia: 0, nitrite: 0, nitrate: 5

Mr. P is still visits the top and collect s bubbles thru-out the day... The duck weed should arrive tomorrow...

:idont

• Supporter

Chris here... Evening update... Mr. P is back at the top of the tank and chasing bubbles... He had a 3 to 4 inch long clear poo trailing for a while... :(. He is kind of side ways to avoid his back coming out of the water... He can swim down but doesn't stay down...

I just did a video of his floating and swimming... Sorry for the low light, I need to add another light to the tank for the evenings...

Edited by Chris1251

• Supporter

Hey hun... lets feed them green beans for one day.. all you need to do is cook them till they are soft and give them maybe just one or two beans :)

Hi Koko, I'm heading to the market After a large WC... Should I buy fresh or fresh frozen??? Either way I will steam them and then attach it to a veggie clip... I already fed peas this morning but move to the green beans for the evening feeding.... Thank you!!! :food

Pre-WC test results: PH 8.0, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 5-10

Edited by Chris1251