Sign in to follow this  
shelbysfish

Emergency!

Parameters for the tank today?

I didn't understand this:

"I went to my local fish store and brought the only two containers I had to store little water each 3L worth. "

Did you buy 6l of water at the fish store?

You can get 5 gallon containers of water at Home Depot. My son has dreadful water, so he gets his drinking water at Walmart. It comes in large containers, but I don't know the size.

Yes, I have two 3L containers I bought some reverse osmosis in, cause you said I should get some to mix with the tap water for any water changes during the cycling.

Checking tank water now!

Okay.

pH: I did the high range test, and for that it is 7.4 so I'm not sure what that means since it's over 7.6 in regular ph chart?

Ammonia: .25ppm - .50ppm

Nitrite: 0ppm

Nitrate: between 0-0.5ppm

And can you believe through all of this my Nirite snail has lived?! Found him today. lol

Edited by shelbysfish

Call the pH 7.4 -7.6.  

I like the nitrite reading.  

OK.  Mix the RO water with an equal quantity of stored tap water, add 1/4 t. of baking soda and use it for a water change.

I'm so happy they're doing better. Way good job on you for going through these lengths to help them. What a good fish mommy you are!

What she said! This is not an easy thing to manage and makes fishkeeping more difficult to have troublesome water to start with, especially since we are essentially water quality keepers first and fish keepers second. Water quality is the single most important factor and the deck is stacked against you, but I think you're heading down the right road with storing the water and letting it offgas and stabilize as Shakaho and Koko are indicating. It's a big pain in the patootie, but persevere!

Edited by Arctic Mama

Xo1SvYV.jpg

Also, does this happen to anyone else? What is the white foamy stuff on my sponge? 

I'm constantly whipping this off the top of my tank. grr.

Doing water change now. Should be about 4-5gallons. 

Stupid filter hates me. Didn't want to start back up! Wasn't even making noise at first, my dad had to come and mess with it to get it making noise again and finally making output. Sheesh. That would not have helped out situation. lol

When I got it starting up again my water looks all cloudy.

Edited by shelbysfish

You cut back on their food and they start pulling on your plants. :P

I'll post new tank update once I get a chance to test tonight. Curious how RO affected things!

Xo1SvYV.jpg

Also, does this happen to anyone else? What is the white foamy stuff on my sponge? 

This may be the dumbest question ever, but what am I looking at in that picture.?  I think there's a mirror involved.

Xo1SvYV.jpg

This may be the dumbest question ever, but what am I looking at in that picture.?  I think there's a mirror involved.

Hahahaha yes, I'm sorry. My tank is in front of a mirror on my long dresser. Its the top of my tank you are seeing.

Sad with my tank results after just a water change mixed with RO water. :( 

pH: looks like 7.6 today, maybe a tad higher?

Ammonia: .50ppm

Nitrite: 1.0ppm

Add Prime and salt maybe?

Prime and salt was fine :)

Prime and salt was fine :)

I didn't add salt, just Prime... should I now? How much?

Here are my tank readings today...

pH: 7.8

Ammonia: .50ppm-1.0ppm

Nitrite: 1.0ppm

I have that white foamy stuff all over my betta's sponge too in his filter. So is that normal? 

So sad about my tank readings today. :( Didn't seem RO helped much.

I'm dosing with Prime again, but does anyone know how much salt I should add? I can add it in the morning. Thank you!!

For nitrite it doesn't have to be much at all - even just 1/4 teaspoon per gallon will help in keeping the toxicity of the nitrite down.

If you have salt in the tank already, just add 1 teaspoon per 10 gallons of new water.

Edited by shakaho

If you have sat in the tank already, just add 1 teaspoon per 10 gallons of new water.

I added about 5g new a couple days ago with that water change, so I'll do that. 

Should I check the tank again today or wait until tomorrow and just Prime/salt? I dont know if much has changed overnight. :/

I'm a terrible fish mommy today, I barely had time for anything today so I didn't get to test the tank water and I'm off to bed. :( :( 

I added the salt and Prime though, so they should be okay until I can test it tomorrow night and see what you guys think. I seem to be going through those wonder shells pretty fast, the second one dissolved already so I'll add another in the morning..

It's my understanding that the wonder shells should take a bit longer to dissolve. Three days is fast!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

I'm a terrible fish mommy today, I barely had time for anything today so I didn't get to test the tank water and I'm off to bed. :( :(

I added the salt and Prime though, so they should be okay until I can test it tomorrow night and see what you guys think. I seem to be going through those wonder shells pretty fast, the second one dissolved already so I'll add another in the morning..

Are you putting it totally out of the current? Anywhere near current or flow will dissolve it faster, as will cruddy water quality. The latter is not such a big deal since it needs to be rectified anyway, but you don't want to exhaust it overly quickly with poor placement. Which size are you using and with what tank volume again?

Are you putting it totally out of the current? Anywhere near current or flow will dissolve it faster, as will cruddy water quality. The latter is not such a big deal since it needs to be rectified anyway, but you don't want to exhaust it overly quickly with poor placement. Which size are you using and with what tank volume again?

I mean, I have my filter flowing at the top and my air stone that makes the water move, but its not near either of those things. lol

I have the smallest ones, and my tank is 30g.

make a video so we can see... I put mine in and after 4 days its still there :)