Sign in to follow this  
shelbysfish

Emergency!

Pretty bad from what I gather. The Wonder Shell should help a tad.

Sharon, I wonder if I should add some more baking soda at all?

At least its not 40! But sheesh. :/

And I just wish they weren't acting so lethargic..

KH of what?  Tank? Tap water?  Stored tap water?

Your KH has gone up.  That's good.  You can add another 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda if you wish.  You can get some RO water if you want, and add a Wonder Shell to it.  This can get very expensive fast, but you need some clean water to do water changes with.

Your KH has gone up. That's good. You can add another 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda if you wish. You can get some RO water if you want, and add a Wonder Shell to it. This can get very expensive fast, but you need some clean water to do water changes with.

Would I use RO water until the tank is cycled? I can't afford to do that forever, like you said. ????

I suggest you have some RO water on hand in case you have to change some water.  Perhaps mixing that with some tap water will result in usable water.

I suggest you have some RO water on hand in case you have to change some water. Perhaps mixing that with some tap water will result in usable water.

You mean now or once it's cycled? I'm sorry for my questions. ????

Whenever necessary.  

Since your tank water is cleaner than your tap water, right now changing water can reduce water quality.  Once your tank has cycled, small water changes with your tap water will be safe, and with a cycled filter in your water storage container, you will be able to do large water changes.

Have you ever heard from the water company?  Nitrites above 1.0 ppm in drinking water are not OK.

You might look into an undersink RO system, for you as well as the fish.

Whenever necessary.  

Since your tank water is cleaner than your tap water, right now changing water can reduce water quality.  Once your tank has cycled, small water changes with your tap water will be safe, and with a cycled filter in your water storage container, you will be able to do large water changes.

Have you ever heard from the water company?  Nitrites above 1.0 ppm in drinking water are not OK.

You might look into an undersink RO system, for you as well as the fish.

I did not hear from them yet. I'm gonna try calling again on Monday because it makes me so upset.

I am going to test the stored water I have today again, it's been sitting for 4 days so I'm curious if its any better since.

I drink from the fridge because thats filtered water, thank goodness, but it doesn't have very good output and wouldn't be able to fit a bucket under to catch the water. :/

Going to Lowes today to get a 15g container. 

I'll post my test results today, for tank and stored water!

Before I go to Lowes and get a 15g container, what kind of filter could I use? If I have something round, could I use a HOB filter or it wouldn't fit?

Before I go to Lowes and get a 15g container, what kind of filter could I use? If I have something round, could I use a HOB filter or it wouldn't fit?

Update, biggest thing I could get was a 13.2 gallon trash can. Could i use a HOB filter or what would you suggest?

Also, Koko do you know where that girl hot that pump to push water into the tank? I cant find it and have no idea how I would get watwr from this trashcan into the tank. Lol

Update, biggest thing I could get was a 13.2 gallon trash can. Could i use a HOB filter or what would you suggest?

Also, Koko do you know where that girl hot that pump to push water into the tank? I cant find it and have no idea how I would get watwr from this trashcan into the tank. Lol

Something like this hun

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Alpine-Power-Head-pump-280-GPH-16-ft-Cord-P280/206515160

you could use a HOB if it will fit.. or a canister filter :)

Something like this hun

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Alpine-Power-Head-pump-280-GPH-16-ft-Cord-P280/206515160

Would I need to get a hose? Thanks so much

Something like this hun

yeah you could go to a feed store or even home depot may have on.. Just the clear hose you use on a Python hose... Some times you will see a whole roll of it for sale. :)

Something like this hun

yeah you could go to a feed store or even home depot may have on.. Just the clear hose you use on a Python hose... Some times you will see a whole roll of it for sale. :)

Very interesting... I will have no idea how to use this but worth testing out.  :teehee

I wish you all lived near me and could come over and show me all this stuff. haha

Get a large barrel and fill it with tap water.  Add prime.  Put a filter in it and add just a little bit of biomedium from your tank filter.  The third filter in

would work perfectly.  Once the ammonia and nitrite reach zero, you can use the barrel water for a water change and add more tap water to the barrel.

Just copied this from an old post.

You can use a HOB filter.

For moving water use a pump, but not at the price of the one shown above.   :yikes Get this one.  Then take the pump to HD, Lowes, or a hardware store.  Go to the plumbing department and ask for help finding tubing/hose that fits on the pump.  If the pump hasn't changed since the last one I bought, one of the barb fittings works with this tubing, and you  won't find anything cheaper.

You just put the tubing on the pump, drop the pump in the storage container, and run the hose to the tank.  Plug in the pump to pump water to the tank.  Pull the plug to stop pumping.

Of course, you can also use the pump to transfer water from the tank to the sink, outdoors, or wherever else you want to move it.

Edited by shakaho

Get a large barrel and fill it with tap water.  Add prime.  Put a filter in it and add just a little bit of biomedium from your tank filter.  The third filter in

would work perfectly.  Once the ammonia and nitrite reach zero, you can use the barrel water for a water change and add more tap water to the barrel.

Just copied this from an old post.

You can use a HOB filter.

For moving water use a pump, but not at the price of the one shown above.   :yikes Get this one.  Then take the pump to HD, Lowes, or a hardware store.  Go to the plumbing department and ask for help finding tubing/hose that fits on the pump.  If the pump hasn't changed since the last one I bought, one of the barb fittings works with this tubing, and you  won't find anything cheaper.

You just put the tubing on the pump, drop the pump in the storage container, and run the hose to the tank.  Plug in the pump to pump water to the tank.  Pull the plug to stop pumping.

Of course, you can also use the pump to transfer water from the tank to the sink, outdoors, or wherever else you want to move it.

This is AMAZING. You are a life savor!!

Thank you so much. :D 

I'm so happy they're doing better. Way good job on you for going through these lengths to help them. What a good fish mommy you are!

Edited by mjfromga

4 day old stored water:

pH: over 7.6 

Ammonia: 0ppm

Nitrite: between 2.0ppm

Tank water:

pH: over 7.6 chart

Ammonia: 1.0ppm :( :( 

Nitrite: 1.0ppm :( :(

kH: 71.6

Thoughts? What should I do?

I'm so happy they're doing better. Way good job on you for going through these lengths to help them. What a good fish mommy you are!

Thank you so much!! I will do anything for my babies. They didn't ask for these water conditions, so somehow I'm gonna make it safe!! lol

Don't you have a high range pH test?

Just treat the tank with Prime and add 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda.

Don't you have a high range pH test?

Just treat the tank with Prime and add 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda.

I absolutely forgot I had one of those, it was in my cabinet. I will do that too.

Thank you Sharon :) She is a life saver... I was trying to help with Justine all over me :lol

Oh I would have loved to shop with ya and hang out too :hug

Good afternoon!

I'll post updated tests tonight. I went to my local fish store and brought the only two containers I had to store little water each 3L worth. Should I add this to my stored 5G bucket and do a water change today? I haven't done one since you told me last, but I feel like I might be due.

Let me know your thoughts my friends. ????

Thank you Sharon :) She is a life saver... I was trying to help with Justine all over me :lol

Oh I would have loved to shop with ya and hang out too :hug

Florida trip! ????????

Parameters for the tank today?

I didn't understand this:

"I went to my local fish store and brought the only two containers I had to store little water each 3L worth. "

Did you buy 6l of water at the fish store?

You can get 5 gallon containers of water at Home Depot.  My son has dreadful water, so he gets his drinking water at Walmart.  It comes in large containers, but I don't know the size.