Sign in to follow this  
shelbysfish

Emergency!

Tank:

kh: 40 - bare in mind this is test strips, hopefully in a week or so my liquid test kit will arrive for kh and gh.

ph: looks over 7.6 on the chart, so I did the high range ph test and got 7.8!

ammonia: .25-.50ppm

nitrite: Looks about .50ppm!

Thoughts? Still do my 5g water change Im guessing?

:thumbup2:

Tests for the tap water?  It's hard to say what to do about water changes without parameters for the new water.

Don't add any more baking soda to the tank.  When I see the tests, I'll tell you what to do with the bucket water.

Tests for the tap water?  It's hard to say what to do about water changes without parameters for the new water.

Don't add any more baking soda to the tank.  When I see the tests, I'll tell you what to do with the bucket water.

Tap tests are:

pH: over 7.6

kH: 40

Ammonia: .25ppm

Nitrite: 2.0ppm

Is that stored or fresh?

I suggest you just add some Prime and skip the water change.   The water in your tank is safe, so let's see how it looks tomorrow.  

Is that stored or fresh?

I suggest you just add some Prime and skip the water change. The water in your tank is safe, so let's see how it looks tomorrow.

Sorry, that was fresh!

I'll add some Prime and nothing else for today. Tomorrow I'll retest tank and fresh tap, correct?

Is that stored or fresh?

I suggest you just add some Prime and skip the water change. The water in your tank is safe, so let's see how it looks tomorrow.

Sorry, that was fresh!

I'll add some Prime and nothing else for today. Tomorrow I'll retest tank and fresh tap, correct?

If you can please always show us the tank, tap and stored :) This way we can see what is going on hun :)

Is that stored or fresh?

Sorry, that was fresh!

If you can please always show us the tank, tap and stored :) This way we can see what is going on hun :)

Sorry Koko!! I thought she just wanted tank and tap. I will post all 3 of these tomorrow with updated numbers.  :SmackBottom:

Good evening!! Just got back from work. Gonna grab a quick bite and do all 3 water tests. Stay tuned friends!

P.S.: My wonder shells arrived today. 3 small ones! Let me know if I can add them after I post my water tests. :D

2 day old stored water:

Ammonia: 0ppm - hmm...

Nitrite: 2.0-5.0ppm, pretty purple

pH: over the 7.6 chart for sure

---

Regular tap water, oh crappy Ft Myers how you change every day:

Ammonia: .50ppm

Nitrite: 1.0ppm-2.0ppm between

pH: Same, over 7.6 chart

---

Tank water:

Ammonia: .25ppm

Nitrite: 1.0ppm

pH: actually looks like 7.6 today? lol

Thoughts? Add one of my small shells?

Babies are acting not very energetic today. But they still look good.

Is that stored or fresh?

Just quoting you incase you missed my posts. Haha

Not sure if I should do my 5g water change before bed or add anything. I'm so curious about these wonder shells. ????

Well I added some Prime since I'm not sure if I should mess with anything. Not gonna put anything else in until I know if I should or not. :)

Good morning! I'll be back from work at 3, what are your thoughts from my tests last night? Can I add a wonder shell?

Add a Wonder Shell to your tank.  I suggest you hold off on water changes until you have some decent water to use for changes.  Your tank water parameters look good, but start checking nitrate to make sure that doesn't get too high.  You can add Prime every other day until the ammonia goes away.  Now that your tank has stabilized, I expect it will complete cycling soon.  Once it does, you can use tap water for 10% daily water changes.

Before you can safely use your tap water for larger water changes, you need to store and filter it.  I don't know what kind of storage container works for you.  I recommended the 15 gallon drum because this has the smallest foot print (only a couple of inches larger in diameter than a 5 gallon bucket), and most people have little space. You can, however, find dozens of containers in the right size range at Lowes or HD -- waste baskets, tubs, flowerpots, sturdy totes, etc.   You can have the storage container outside as long as you bring the water in to let the temperature adjust before changing.  More importantly, you need a filter in the water storage container with biomedium (including a few pieces from your tank for seeding) and some carbon.  You can add a Wonder Shell too.

Can you find a review of this?  I haven't found one, nor can I find any information about it on the seller's site.  

Can you find a review of this?  I haven't found one, nor can I find any information about it on the seller's site.  

Nope... Thats what I get for fast searching :thud:

I was thinking of something along the lines of that... They have it for nitrates ... I will keep looking :)

Nope... Thats what I get for fast searching :thud:

I was thinking of something along the lines of that... They have it for nitrates ... I will keep looking :)

Thank you for the help Koko!! :D

Add a Wonder Shell to your tank.  I suggest you hold off on water changes until you have some decent water to use for changes.  Your tank water parameters look good, but start checking nitrate to make sure that doesn't get too high.  You can add Prime every other day until the ammonia goes away.  Now that your tank has stabilized, I expect it will complete cycling soon.  Once it does, you can use tap water for 10% daily water changes.

Before you can safely use your tap water for larger water changes, you need to store and filter it.  I don't know what kind of storage container works for you.  I recommended the 15 gallon drum because this has the smallest foot print (only a couple of inches larger in diameter than a 5 gallon bucket), and most people have little space. You can, however, find dozens of containers in the right size range at Lowes or HD -- waste baskets, tubs, flowerpots, sturdy totes, etc.   You can have the storage container outside as long as you bring the water in to let the temperature adjust before changing.  More importantly, you need a filter in the water storage container with biomedium (including a few pieces from your tank for seeding) and some carbon.  You can add a Wonder Shell too.

I'll check my nitrates tonight and hold off on a water change maybe until Sat/Sun? Then I can do my 5g change daily once my tank readings are good?

I'm definitely going to look into a 15g container of some sort over the weekend. But until then I just have my measly 5g bucket. lol

Thank you so much for your help. I'll add a wonder shell now!