Sign in to follow this  
shelbysfish

Emergency!

I will say, one super sized shell is only enough for like 10-20 gallons, which I found out the hard way after ordering one for my 55 gallon. I can't see myself being able to use these long term. They dissolve mega fast and are quite expensive.

Myra - I have a tank that's topping out at around 100 gallons and only pop a shell in every two weeks or so? Just one of the big ones. If your water is soft or lower in pH you may consider buffering with baking soda first if you aren't already, as these will exhaust faster in softer and lower pH water than harder water, but they still shouldn't disappear that quickly.

I started a review thread on them so we can take further conversation there and stop clogging up this treatment thread - you too, OP :).

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/125097-wonder-shells-one-of-my-favorite-aquarium-additives/

Thank you DawnMichele, they are doing a lot better just trying to get my filter recycled. ????

I am at work but I will post the updated water tests this afternoon!!

Tank measurements for today...

Ammonia: 0ppm

Nitrite: 1ppm

pH: 7.0 - 7.2

kH: 40

Grabbing a bite to eat then checking stored water and tap.

Stored water test results... not so good :(

Ammonia: between .25ppm - .50ppm

Nitrite: .50-1.0ppm

pH: atleast 7.6

Wow, your water sucks! :teehee

The upside is it isn't anything you did, it's just the situation you have to work with. We can help you buffer it and make it more stable and offgassing it overnight is a good idea as long as it is that volatile. I'm positive Sharon will have more input when she comes back on, but I wanted to extend my sympathy on the water changes. That is tricky to manage even for an experienced fishkeeper and is no reflection on your husbandry. Sometimes city sources go from decent to awful with changes in water treatment or even big storms and floods, so it can sneak up on you.

Edited by Arctic Mama

Tap water: 

Ammonia: .25ppm? Hint of green.

Nitrite: 1.0ppm - 2.0ppm

pH: seems higher than 7.6

Already did a 5g water change with the stored water. Should I add 1/2 tsp of baking powder/salt again? Thoughts?

Wow, your water sucks! :teehee

The upside is it isn't anything you did, it's just the situation you have to work with. We can help you buffer it and make it more stable and offgassing it overnight is a good idea as long as it is that volatile. I'm positive Sharon will have more input when she comes back on, but I wanted to extend my sympathy on the water changes. That is tricky to manage even for an experienced fishkeeper and is no reflection on your husbandry. Sometimes city sources go from decent to awful with changes in water treatment or even big storms and floods, so it can sneak up on you.

Thank you. It really is confusing, but I'm gonna do whatever I need to keep my babies healthy!

I'm puzzled that you add baking soda and the KH doesn't change.  Yes, add the baking soda.

I'm puzzled that you add baking soda and the KH doesn't change.  Yes, add the baking soda.

Me as well...

I'll add 1/2 tsp of baking soda now, any salt?

On another note, my fishes are acting a little blind. They dont seem to see my hand when I put it in. 

Ordering a LIQUID api kh and gh test kit. Wont be here for about a week, so my test strips will have to be our source until then.

Okay, baking soda 1/2 tsp was added, I haven't added any salt and I'm about to go to bed, so I'm assuming I'm okay after my 5g water change? haha

I'll hear from you in the morning on what you want me to do next!

Thank you again everyone for all your help. I couldn't do this without you.

Just chiming in here because I thought this was a weird coincidence. Do you think this has anything to do with it?

https://weather.com/news/news/mosaic-sinkhole-florida-wastewater-contaminated-plant-fertilizer

:o

Something to consider for sure! I am about a 2 hour drive from Tampa, where I think it happened so I dont know if it affected down here before they stopped it, but very interesting!!

Also - my fish are very mad they are only eating twice a day. lol.

they haven't been as active today, but their coats still look great.

Good morning! What would you like me to do about my terrible water today?

They seem to be having some sight issues, but here are some updated photos of them. My smaller girl seems to have some eye color changes since all this happened, but here we go:

7YkzBDO.jpg

K0gHCco.jpg

iuQPdsE.jpg

Water test results for today? 

The fish look good to me, but I don't keep telescopes and know nothing about their eyes.

I have to say they look alot better hun :thumbs:

Their eyes do look a ton better. Provided the water issues are solved I don't think you have anything to worr about and no treatment needed. I'm not seeing anything that looks like a bacterial or fungal infection from the stress of the water chemistry.

Sorry for the late reply!! Got home from work early so testing tank water now, and I'll be home the rest of the day for whatever else I need to do!

Thank you all so much!!!! :D They do look SO much better. I agree, I think its just this awful water I'm dealing with.

Had to leave voicemail for water company.

Edited by shelbysfish

Tank:

kh: 40 - bare in mind this is test strips, hopefully in a week or so my liquid test kit will arrive for kh and gh.

ph: looks over 7.6 on the chart, so I did the high range ph test and got 7.8!

ammonia: .25-.50ppm

nitrite: Looks about .50ppm!

Thoughts? Still do my 5g water change Im guessing?