Emergency!

shelbysfish

How would I get the water from the other container into the tank? Sadly the goldfish are in my bedroom with carpet. I've been siphoning out with buckets and dumping in bathtub then using my Python to fill it back from the shower head.

Storing a 30g trash can is not the easiest in my circumstances but I'll do what I need to do to save my babies I just fish my current water wasn't so awful.

Cause this would be for 2 water changes a week. Ahhhh!

Maybe multiple 10 gallons... Any other ideas?

One old member here used to do water changes this way.. She had a 150 gallon tank too...

What she did was got a Garbage can and filled with water let it set for the night. then she had a power head in the can that would push the water back to the tank... :)

4167689554_f6f436f503_b.jpg

Like this hun. :)

And why hasn't my filter media cycled any of this out?

Most likely that the nitrites are to high and causing this issue :(

Very cool idea!! I'll look into that. ???? Smart lady.

You think it crashed my cycle then? I thought they'd at least fight off the ammonia. Stupid Florida water. ???? Calling tomorrow for sure, but you'd think it would be posted somewhere about how crappy it is. They think people can drink this? Lol

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know why your filter hasn't cycled. My best guess is the constant variation in water chemistry. Once we have some safe water available for changes, I recommend doing small daily water changes. I do 10% daily, which corresponds to 50% weekly. I'd just use buckets.

Add 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda to your tank and then check the pH and KH.

Will do. I'll post the update when I get back, had to run an errand. It was cycled! I had no issues for months so something must have happened to my tap water. :(

So until I get my bigger gallon buckets, you suggest I use my 5g and do daily 5% changes a day with stored water? You do this to cycle back or as a general rule?

I don't know why your filter hasn't cycled. My best guess is the constant variation in water chemistry. Once we have some safe water available for changes, I recommend doing small daily water changes. I do 10% daily, which corresponds to 50% weekly. I'd just use buckets.

Are you wanting me to do this before or after my water change tonight? Will I need to add more baking soda?

Changing 5 gallons of water in a 30 gallon tank is a 17% water change.  I recommend doing that daily for the time being.  

When suggesting a 30 gallon storage container, I was thinking of you doing 50% water changes.  If you do smaller changes, something like this works fine.  You should top off the storage container each time you use water from it so you always have water collected on multiple days in the container.

Nitrite rarely occurs in tap water, so you have a very strange situation.  Excess nitrite can inhibit nitrification, but yours isn't that high.

Are you wanting me to do this before or after my water change tonight? Will I need to add more baking soda?

I'd like you to do it now, and then read and report the pH and KH after an hour or so.  You do need to raise your KH which will stabilize your pH.  I'm trying to get an estimate of how much baking soda you will need to add.

I'm going out for groceries now, so don't think I'm ignoring your response.   :D

• Admin

Hey Sharon I use those Wonder Shells in my Molly tank. Do you think it might help her in this?

Yeah your water is very strange hun... I think doing it the way Sharon has said will help you in the long run.

:)

• Admin

Koko, I don't know anything about the Wonder Shells, other than Taryl really likes them.  They are probably worth a try.

me too :teehee

Weco Wonder Shells are great for ph control, calcium carbonate and water hardness control in small aquariums and fish bowls. These all-in-one treatments provide calcium carbonate, sodium thiosulfate, and necessary trace elements including magnesium sulfate.

• Helps keep aquarium clear & maintains stable pH levels
  • Adds necessary minerals & removes chlorine
  • Great for goldfish, livebearers, cichlids, & more

Magnesium and calcium have been proven to help fish during stress and to help prevent disease due to acid buildup in the body.

These shells help remove chlorine and chloramines from tap water instantly and condition water for the benefit of all aquarium life. With these shells, cloudy water will clear right up. Your fish will have more reproductive vigor and will spawn more readily. Scour inner glass walls with Wonder Shell to remove scum and to deter its return.

Koko, I don't know anything about the Wonder Shells, other than Taryl really likes them.  They are probably worth a try.

me too :teehee

Weco Wonder Shells are great for ph control, calcium carbonate and water hardness control in small aquariums and fish bowls. These all-in-one treatments provide calcium carbonate, sodium thiosulfate, and necessary trace elements including magnesium sulfate.

• Helps keep aquarium clear & maintains stable pH levels
  • Adds necessary minerals & removes chlorine
  • Great for goldfish, livebearers, cichlids, & more

Magnesium and calcium have been proven to help fish during stress and to help prevent disease due to acid buildup in the body.

These shells help remove chlorine and chloramines from tap water instantly and condition water for the benefit of all aquarium life. With these shells, cloudy water will clear right up. Your fish will have more reproductive vigor and will spawn more readily. Scour inner glass walls with Wonder Shell to remove scum and to deter its return.

Where would I get this??

kH from tank: 40

pH from tank: 7.0

Thoughts? Doing a tiny tiny water change with my 5g now, how much more salt should I add or baking soda? :/

Amazon or I just got some from http://www.petmountain.com/home

Would I just put one in? And would I stop using salt/baking soda? Or use this as an add on?

Changing 5 gallons of water in a 30 gallon tank is a 17% water change.  I recommend doing that daily for the time being.  

When suggesting a 30 gallon storage container, I was thinking of you doing 50% water changes.  If you do smaller changes, something like this works fine.  You should top off the storage container each time you use water from it so you always have water collected on multiple days in the container.

Nitrite rarely occurs in tap water, so you have a very strange situation.  Excess nitrite can inhibit nitrification, but yours isn't that high.

I'd like you to do it now, and then read and report the pH and KH after an hour or so.  You do need to raise your KH which will stabilize your pH.  I'm trying to get an estimate of how much baking soda you will need to add.

I'm going out for groceries now, so don't think I'm ignoring your response.   :D

So what do you think caused this crash? Hmm.

So keep doing 5% water changes every day until we get this all fixed? That's my plan. Hoping to be able to get a 15% water container. 

I think by "%" you mean gallon, right?  Yes, 5 gallons of stored tap water 

I think low KH is a factor, and I would like to figure out how much baking soda to add to your stored tap water to get a stable pH and KH.  

Add another 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda to the tank.  You don't have to add salt or baking soda to the stored tap water yet.

Tomorrow, test ammonia, nitrite,  pH, and KH for the tank, stored tap water, and fresh tap water.  

I think by "%" you mean gallon, right?  Yes, 5 gallons of stored tap water 

I think low KH is a factor, and I would like to figure out how much baking soda to add to your stored tap water to get a stable pH and KH.  

Add another 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda to the tank.  You don't have to add salt or baking soda to the stored tap water yet.

Tomorrow, test ammonia, nitrite,  pH, and KH for the tank, stored tap water, and fresh tap water.  

Yes ma'am. I meant 5g. lol

I just did my 5g water change, so do I need to add any more salt, or just another 1/4 baking soda?

I'm refilling my 5g bucket tonight to be able to test everything tomorrow! I'll let you know. Thank you for your help!!

Just ordered that shell too... curious about that..

So I guess the question is - if the nitrites didn't crash my cycle, what did? It had been totally stable.

Also, on another thought - for anyone else who has the AC50, when you unplug it to do your water changes - do you have to manually add water to the pump side to get it going again after plugging it back in? or is that just me?

I have an AC 50. I never have to readd water after I unplug it for a WC. It does make a gurgly noise sometimes though before spitting the water out as usual.

Mine makes the gurgle noise, but never spits out water unless I use some of my tank water and pour it onto the pump side.

I have an AC 50. I never have to readd water after I unplug it for a WC. It does make a gurgly noise sometimes though before spitting the water out as usual.

Mine makes the gurgle noise, but never spits out water unless I use some of my tank water and pour it onto the pump side.

When I used to use AC's, I always had to add water too.  :idont

Curious about those wonder shells.  :hummm  How do you choose what size shell to get? 

Edited by TikiLola

• Admin

Add on hun :)

For the shell? :)

I'm excited to try it! It should be here Wednesday it says on Amazon. 

:thumbup2:

When I used to use AC's, I always had to add water too.  :idont

Curious about those wonder shells.  :hummm  How do you choose what size shell to get? 

Tells you on the package hun :)