Sign in to follow this  
shelbysfish

Emergency!

Okay how is it possible that my water keeps changing over night my friends? My pH is now AWFUL. How do I fix this? Why is it so low all of a sudden? :(

I got up really early to test all this and I can do the water change. I'm hoping my Prime last night didn't mess with this, but so strange...

They aren't as lethargic today, or nasty looking. Their poor fins are just damaged. 

Tank params:

pH: 6.0ppm

Ammonia: between .25-.50ppm

Nitrite: 1.0ppm

Nitrate: 5.0ppm - 10pmm

Tap Params:  (HOW CAN THESE KEEP CHANGING? - I'm doing everything the same!!)

pH: higher than 7.6

Ammonia: .50-1.0ppm

Nitrite: 1.0ppm

Nitrate: 0ppm

I'm off to work, but I'll try to keep checking if you guys can tell me what to have my dad do while I'm gone. :(

I had these instant pH issues too and still have them from time to time. It can make fishkeeping difficult. Most of the time, my pH is simply extremely high near the 9 area, and every now and then, they do something and it falls all the way beneath the 7 range. And to add insult to injury, my KH AND GH are both extremely low (usually 1-2 drops each with kit). Buffer is all I can tell you. I have to do it religiously or all my fish would probably die within a very short time of being here. Pretty frustrating, I know. Glad the babies made it through the night.

When did you last change your water and how much did you change?   You have salt in your tank (protects against nitrite)  and Prime, so right now your tank water is safe.  Don't do a water change.  Something happened to your cycle and you will have to protect your fish with Prime and salt until you have a source of clean water.  You might add a bit of baking soda to get the pH up to 7.  Don't go higher when you have ammonia in the tank.  Feed minimally.  

Do you have municipal or well water?   If municipal, call the water company and ask about the wild readings you get.  

Perhaps you have already answered this, but how old is your test kit?  Can you take samples of your tank and tap water to a fish/pet store and get an independent test?  Ideally, take your test kit along and use it there for comparison.

You can best handle variable tap water by storing water.  Get a large barrel and fill it half way with tap water.  Add prime.  Put a filter in it and add just a little bit of biomedium from your tank filter.  The third filter in

would work perfectly.  Once the ammonia and nitrite reach zero, you can use the barrel water for a water change and add more tap water to the barrel. Edited by Helen
double post deleted.

When did you last change your water and how much did you change? You have salt in your tank (protects against nitrite) and Prime, so right now your tank water is safe. Don't do a water change. Something happened to your cycle and you will have to protect your fish with Prime and salt until you have a source of clean water. You might add a bit of baking soda to get the pH up to 7. Don't go higher when you have ammonia in the tank. Feed minimally.

Do you have municipal or well water? If municipal, call the water company and ask about the wild readings you get.

Perhaps you have already answered this, but how old is your test kit? Can you take samples of your tank and tap water to a fish/pet store and get an independent test? Ideally, take your test kit along and use it there for comparison.

You can best handle variable tap water by storing water. Get a large barrel and fill it half way with tap water. Add prime. Put a filter in it and add just a little bit of biomedium from your tank filter. The third filter in

would work perfectly. Once the ammonia and nitrite reach zero, you can use the barrel water for a water change and add more tap water to the barrel.

I'll tell my dad to add baking soda. My last water change was early this morning. Only 50%. Re added salt and prime.

My test kit says it doesn't expire until 2020!

I'll try to take in a reading to pet smart tomorrow. So weird.

Would you guys suggest I get RO water jugs from my Lfs?

I have munciple water. I'm not even gonna give this as drinking water for my dogs anymore, it's insane.

I'll call them on Monday. ????

If you add baking soda, you should add a bit, like 1/4 teaspoon,  give it a few minutes to equilibrate, then test the pH again before deciding whether to add more.  I suggest you do this yourself, unless your dad wants to come online for guidance.

If you add baking soda, you should add a bit, like 1/4 teaspoon,  give it a few minutes to equilibrate, then test the pH again before deciding whether to add more.  I suggest you do this yourself, unless your dad wants to come online for guidance.

Okay, I am home from work, so I will start with 1/4 teaspoon and wait to test the pH for a little bit.

I'll let you know the numbers after the first dose.

What do I do about the water guys? Do I continue to use tap? Did my filter just stop working? My mind is running with how i'm going to somehow prevent this from happening again and keeping things stable. :( 

OK.  That's enough baking soda for now.  Do you have a fairly large container to hold some tap water?  (even just a bucket)  If so, fill it with water and add Prime.  Then test ammonia, nitrite and pH.  If possible, put an airstone in the container.

Now just relax until tomorrow morning.  Then I want you to do and report the following tests:

tank ammonia

tank nitrite

tank pH

stored tap ammonia

stored tap nitrite

stored tap pH

Then draw some fresh tap water and test

fresh tap ammonia

fresh tap nitrite

fresh tap pH

I don't know what part of the country you are in, but I am usually up and checking my computer by 6:00 am eastern time.  Don't panic and change water until I've seen the results of your tests.

OK.  That's enough baking soda for now.  Do you have a fairly large container to hold some tap water?  (even just a bucket)  If so, fill it with water and add Prime.  Then test ammonia, nitrite and pH.  If possible, put an airstone in the container.

Now just relax until tomorrow morning.  Then I want you to do and report the following tests:

tank ammonia

tank nitrite

tank pH

stored tap ammonia

stored tap nitrite

stored tap pH

fresh tap ammonia

fresh tap nitrite

fresh tap pH

I don't know what part of the country you are in, but I am usually up and checking my computer by 6:00 am eastern time.  Don't panic and change water until I've seen the results of your tests.

I live in Florida, so I'm EST as well. 

I'll let you know!! Thank you.

I do not have an airstone, will that be okay? How long should I let it sit stored in the bucket before I test?

Edited by shelbysfish

tank ammonia

tank nitrite

tank pH

stored tap ammonia

stored tap nitrite

stored tap pH

fresh tap ammonia

fresh tap nitrite

fresh tap pH

I do not have an airstone, will that be okay? How long should I let it sit stored in the bucket before I test?

set it up tonight hun... let it sit for atleast 12 hours or so :)

We want to test the water on its own :) the fresh and the tank... This gives us an all around result of what is going on. :)

tank ammonia

tank nitrite

tank pH

stored tap ammonia

stored tap nitrite

stored tap pH

fresh tap ammonia

fresh tap nitrite

fresh tap pH

set it up tonight hun... let it sit for atleast 12 hours or so :)

We want to test the water on its own :) the fresh and the tank... This gives us an all around result of what is going on. :)

Oh!! Ok. I didn't realize it needed that long. I'll get the bucket and Prime now!

tank ammonia: .25ppm-.50ppm somewhere between

tank nitrite: not good, 1.0ppm

tank pH: seems to be 6.8 closest to.

stored tap ammonia: 0ppm

stored tap nitrite: 0ppm

stored tap pH: 7.6

fresh tap ammonia: .25-.50ppm

fresh tap nitrite: 2ppm

fresh tap pH: over 7.6 - into the high range 

Next step? Maybe water change, salt, Prime?

Following whatever you guys tell me. Thank you for your help..

Well Im going to see what Sharon has to say but this is interesting....

The water that has sat out is better than straight from the tap... If it was me in this I would be thinking of how to store water in jugs for the tank... :)

Do you have the standing water still.. I would like to see the KH/gh in each of those :)

Yes I do!! I saved it just incase. Haha. Here is that for standing water...

Kh: 40

Gh: 120

Is this good or bad?

Also If I remember right, doesn't Prime stop binding ammonia after 24 hours? I'm gonna add some more to be safe.

Is this good or bad?

Hey hun test the tank and tap too :)

Is this good or bad?

Hey hun test the tank and tap too :)

Ok one sec. I'll post it. I'll do that before I add Prime. Not sure if anyone wants me to do a water change! Lol

I've been looking for you all morning.  i should have known you'd show up with the data when I went out for a run.   :lol:

OK.  You have stored tap water that is safe to use.  Is this in a five gallon bucket?  If so, add 1/2 teaspoon of salt and use this water for a small water change.   Then add a full dose of Prime to the tank.  Your fish will be fine.  Refill the bucket with water to store for later.

This suggests that storing your tap water improves it.  Please get a container of at least 30 gallons to store tap water and also get an air pump and stone to aerate the stored water.  If you go on craigslist you should have no trouble finding clean plastic drums that hold 30 or 55 gallons, or you can get a trash can.

What part of FL do you live in?  I may be able to find information on your water source.

I've been looking for you all morning. i should have known you'd show up with the data when I went out for a run. :lol:

OK. You have stored tap water that is safe to use. Is this in a five gallon bucket? If so, add 1/2 teaspoon of salt and use this water for a small water change. Then add a full dose of Prime to the tank. Your fish will be fine. Refill the bucket with water to store for later.

This suggests that storing your tap water improves it. Please get a container of at least 30 gallons to store tap water and also get an air pump and stone to aerate the stored water. If you go on craigslist you should have no trouble finding clean plastic drums that hold 30 or 55 gallons, or you can get a trash can.

What part of FL do you live in? I may be able to find information on your water source.

Hahaha I'm sorry!!! Bad timing!!

I didn't fill up a whole 5g bucket but I'm going to now and store it for tonight. You think that'll be enough time for a small water change to be safe?

I'll for sure figure out getting a 30g bucket. Why do you think it's better quality stored? This baffles my mind!

I live in Fort Myers.

How would I get the water from the other container into the tank? Sadly the goldfish are in my bedroom with carpet. I've been siphoning out with buckets and dumping in bathtub then using my Python to fill it back from the shower head.

Storing a 30g trash can is not the easiest in my circumstances but I'll do what I need to do to save my babies I just fish my current water wasn't so awful.

Cause this would be for 2 water changes a week. Ahhhh!

Maybe multiple 10 gallons... Any other ideas?

How would I get the water from the other container into the tank? Sadly the goldfish are in my bedroom with carpet. I've been siphoning out with buckets and dumping in bathtub then using my Python to fill it back from the shower head.

Storing a 30g trash can is not the easiest in my circumstances but I'll do what I need to do to save my babies I just fish my current water wasn't so awful.

Cause this would be for 2 water changes a week. Ahhhh!

Maybe multiple 10 gallons... Any other ideas?

One old member here used to do water changes this way.. She had a 150 gallon tank too...

What she did was got a Garbage can and filled with water let it set for the night. then she had a power head in the can that would push the water back to the tank... :)

4167689554_f6f436f503_b.jpg

Like this hun. :)

And why hasn't my filter media cycled any of this out?

Most likely that the nitrites are to high and causing this issue :(

I don't know why your filter hasn't cycled.  My best guess is the constant variation in water chemistry.  Once we have some safe water available for changes, I recommend doing small daily water changes.  I do 10% daily, which corresponds to 50% weekly.  I'd just use buckets.  

Add 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda to your tank and then check the pH and KH.