• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• In just a few hours everything has changed. :( :(
  •  
  • Ammonia Level(Tank) -  .25ppm
  • * Nitrite Level(Tank) - 1ppm
  • * Nitrate level(Tank) -  5ppm
  •  

I dont know what to do or what the heck happened. It was all fine a few hours ago, and I did nothing different this time. 

I look over and think they are dead because of how they are just laying at the bottom

Helen wants me to add another 0.1% salt in 12 hours from my first dose (that will be midnight for me) do I need to do any more water changes in between these or after I get to 0.2?

Edited by shelbysfish

Almost all medicines have side effects. If you treat sick fish with a medicine that won't treat their current illness, it can very well make them worse. Say you have a severe headache, a doctor giving you chemotherapy for brain cancer when you needed an Excedrin for a migraine would be VERY BAD. Until there is a solid diagnosis or at least a fairly accurate surmision, medicating doesn't make much sense.

In this case, since the moderators seem to believe this is a water quality problem, medicating just wasn't the way to go, clean water was. Unfortunately, your water quality seems to have taken a dive, so I'm not sure what they'd want you to do next. :( Perhaps you'll need to buy some RO water or something.

sending good thoughts your way for your dear babies. you're in good hands, shelbysfish  :grouphug 

i always think it's best to let the mods advise on meds and treatment, -- adding a medicine that is not appropriate for the fish can do much more harm than good. hang in there, you've got the pros on your side! 

• Helper

Almost all medicines have side effects. If you treat sick fish with a medicine that won't treat their current illness, it can very well make them worse. Say you have a severe headache, a doctor giving you chemotherapy for brain cancer when you needed an Excedrin for a migraine would be VERY BAD. Until there is a solid diagnosis or at least a fairly accurate surmision, medicating doesn't make much sense.

In this case, since the moderators seem to believe this is a water quality problem, medicating just wasn't the way to go, clean water was. Unfortunately, your water quality seems to have taken a dive, so I'm not sure what they'd want you to do next. :( Perhaps you'll need to buy some RO water or something.

Myra nailed it. The symptoms aren't consistent with something medication will fix as far as we can tell, especially not kanaplex. And medicating improperly not only isn't safe for the fish, it contributes to antibiotic resistant bacteria which are a major issue.

We are blessed with lots of aquatic medicine here in the US, but with that comes the responsibility of using it properly. In this case, antibiotics aren't the answer. It just doesn't appear bacterial.

Helen gave you advice and Sharon and I are in agreement as well. If you want to post updated pictures, water parameters, and the results of any salt dips if you're doing them, please do. Water should be comfortable and consistent in temp, in the 72-74 range is just fine if your room temp tends to be on the colder side and you use a heater.

Edited by Arctic Mama

• Helper
  • Ammonia Level(Tank) - .25ppm
  • * Nitrate level(Tank) - 5ppm
I dont know what to do or what the heck happened. It was all fine a few hours ago, and I did nothing different this time. </p>
This is why we believe it is water quality. Water changes once or twice daily of 50% is not a bad way to go right now and we can see if we can sort out the filtration issues more slowly once immediate danger is over with. The ammonia and nitrite alone are enough to explain the behavior and slime coat.

Keep your salt at the .1% concentration with your water changes and when Helen wakes back up she can help you more. I don't want to confuse things by chiming in when you're already being helped by a team member :)

Edited by Arctic Mama

If I may be so bold, in the video, there is a thick layer of huge rocks. That can't possibly be helping water quality. Cleaning between those has got to be impossible. Once the fish get better, maybe it would be good to think about a change of scenery? I have some river rocks in my 55 gallon tank and 2 fish totaling less than 20 grams, and moving rocks to clean the bottom does spew debris even with only the tiny fish, so I'd imagine lots of debris would get caught with bigger fish and more crammed together rocks.

•  
  • Ammonia Level(Tank) - .25ppm
  • * Nitrate level(Tank) - 5ppm
  •  
I dont know what to do or what the heck happened. It was all fine a few hours ago, and I did nothing different this time. </p>
This is why we believe it is water quality. Water changes once or twice daily of 50% is not a bad way to go right now and we can see if we can sort out the filtration issues more slowly once immediate danger is over with. The ammonia and nitrite alone are enough to explain the behavior and slime coat.

Keep your salt at the .1% concentration with your water changes and when Helen wakes back up she can help you more. I don't want to confuse things by chiming in when you're already being helped by a team member :)

I started adding a little bit of salt because Helen wanted me to get it to 0.2% is that okay?

I'll do another 50% water change tomorrow, and add more salt, I assume?

Right now the water is at 76 natural room temp. Is that bad?

Sorry for all the questions.

Thank you guys. They are acting a lot more active, but still nasty stuff on the eyes, and fins aren't perfect.

They are very mad at Helen for not letting them eat their evening snack, as she only wants me to feed two times a day so they are not happy. haha

Here is an updated photo of one of the girls, same one I posted earlier photo from:

14981mf.jpg

Any ideas on the redness with my smaller baby's eyes? 

I am working a long shift tomorrow, I'll be back late at night, so my father is coming in to baby sit. I will check this as often as I can during the day, but he will be doing the water change and adding the salt if thats what you guys want me to do. 

If I may be so bold, in the video, there is a thick layer of huge rocks. That can't possibly be helping water quality. Cleaning between those has got to be impossible. Once the fish get better, maybe it would be good to think about a change of scenery? I have some river rocks in my 55 gallon tank and 2 fish totaling less than 20 grams, and moving rocks to clean the bottom does spew debris even with only the tiny fish, so I'd imagine lots of debris would get caught with bigger fish and more crammed together rocks.

I suction them every time I do a water change to the point there is nothing under them, but I will probably end up taking out a lot of them just for hassle purposes. lol

Please get the tap water parameters as well.  We need to be sure the problem isn't coming from your tap.  

I'll tell you why we all suspected a water problem.  Two fish both suddenly became ill, with somewhat different symptoms.  That rarely happens with disease or parasites, but typifies a toxic reaction.  

Since you have an ammonia and nitrite problem -- of unknown cause --  please give the tank an additional full dose of Prime.  Before doing a water change, test both your tank and tap water for ammonia, nitrite, and pH and post your results.  

Incidentally, Myra's explanation of why not to medicate without a diagnosis ranks among the best I have seen.

Please get the tap water parameters as well.  We need to be sure the problem isn't coming from your tap.  

I'll tell you why we all suspected a water problem.  Two fish both suddenly became ill, with somewhat different symptoms.  That rarely happens with disease or parasites, but typifies a toxic reaction.  

Since you have an ammonia and nitrite problem -- of unknown cause --  please give the tank an additional full dose of Prime.  Before doing a water change, test both your tank and tap water for ammonia, nitrite, and pH and post your results.  

Incidentally, Myra's explanation of why not to medicate without a diagnosis ranks among the best I have seen.

I tested it earlier, I can absolutely test them again, I just want to be sure you saw them? :)

It may very well be my tap water, because the readings weren't good at all.

I'll test my water params in the morning before I leave for work so my dad can do the 50% water change when he comes over.

I'll post them in the AM!

I'll add another dose of Prime now.

• Helper

Do what Helen said, the increasing salt will help remove the residual slime coat. She's your point person here so definitely follow her advice. We are just cheering everyone on and I wanted to reassure you her advice was completely sound - I'd have told you almost the exact same thing :)

Do what Helen said, the increasing salt will help remove the residual slime coat. She's your point person here so definitely follow her advice. We are just cheering everyone on and I wanted to reassure you her advice was completely sound - I'd have told you almost the exact same thing :)

Yes ma'am! 

As far as adding salt after 50% water changes go though, do I add half of 0.1% then?

• Helper

I'd refill the water after the water change, then replace .05% or half the salt removed, then I'd add another .1% to bring your total salinity up to .2%

Edited by Arctic Mama

I tested it earlier, I can absolutely test them again, I just want to be sure you saw them? :)

It may very well be my tap water, because the readings weren't good at all.

I'll test my water params in the morning before I leave for work so my dad can do the 50% water change when he comes over.

I'll post them in the AM!

I'll add another dose of Prime now.

I saw what you posted before for the tap and I hope they are wrong.  That's why I asked you to retest.