Buoyancy Issues

emilyalice91

Hey everyone. New on here. But heard great things about kokos through other goldie enthusiasts. 

So I have had my butterfly telescope, Phoenix, for a little over two weeks now. Adorable guy. He's probably about 5 inches in length and is currently in my 55 gallon tank by himself. Im waiting for the koi shop I adopted him from to get another shipment of butterfly telescopes when they're "in season" in october. Becuase he's from this shop that gets their fish from China, I have no idea how old Phoenix is. 

Since about the 4th day i've had him, he has had buoyancy issues on and off. I suspected that it was from accidentally overfeeding him the first few days I had him (because I had no idea what exactly was the right amount to give him). After fasting him for 48 hours, I gave him peas to help push everything out of his system, including air. And now I feed him a lot less. This was suggested to me from a few goldfish people I follow on instagram. It worked, but he still tends to have good days and bad days. I know it is not SBD because he rights himself up easily and is fine for the most part. 

His water quality is always perfect. I check every day. I also do a 50% water change every 5 days. Phoenix is currently about 57 g. He is right now mainly eating Hikari (the purple bag for breeders) but I switched him yesterday to the hikari excel (tricolor bag) to see if it makes a difference in his buoyancy issues. Both bags have small, sinking pellets. 

Does any one have any advice for me? It would be much appreciated. Thanks for you time

-emily :)

Welcome :hi

You may need to try some different foods and feeding schedules.  Dry foods, in particular, can cause buoyancy problems.  Try feeding only a few pellets at any one time.  Spread them out across the tank, so it takes longer for the fish to find and eat them.  Buy small, sinking pellets (1-2 mm).  You can also try pre-soaking the pellets for a minute or so in a cup of water.  

If this doesn't help, try a gel food such as Repashy Solient Green.  Chop it into small, bite size pieces and feed conservatively.  Frozen bloodworms are another good food for floaty fish as are blanched vegetables.  I give my fish Red Leaf lettuce several times a week and it really helps.  It also gives them something to do.  I like to watch them tear it from the vegetable clip.  It may take them a while to become interested in it, but once they do, they will love it!

Keep Nitrates at 20 or below.

Edited by Jared

All the best with your Tele Emily! Here is some info from a thread in goldfish discussion/goldfish food:

I know some of you may have scales that can weigh fish but not effectively weigh small amounts of food, so I went ahead and weighed all the different foods I have for you! :D

I weighed them out in the smallest amount my scale will recognize which is .1 grams, so you'll have to do some math on your own to figure out how much to feed, but I hope this helps some people out. For the repashy I took picture of 1 gram and .1 grams just to give you a frame of reference. Obviously, how thick you make it and how big you cut it will change how heavy a piece is - I couldn't think of a good way to do this one, but at least you can get a frame of reference and estimate from there.

Young, growing goldfish should be getting anywhere between .5 -1% of their body weight in pellets per day. If you are feeding gel foods which contain more water weight you can go with a higher percentage such as 2-3% of body weight.

Weights of Different Foods:

Saki Hikari purple bag:

~25 pellets = .1 gram

New Life Spectrum:

~30 pellets = .1 gram

ProGold:

6 pellets = .1 gram

Hikari Lionhead:

12 pellets = .1 gram

Omega One Goldfish Pellets - Small:

30 pellets = .1 gram.

Repashy:

1 gram:

photo-37.jpg

photo-38.jpg

Repashy .1 grams:

photo-39.jpg

photo-41.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All the best with your Tele Emily! Here is some info from a thread in goldfish discussion/goldfish food:

I know some of you may have scales that can weigh fish but not effectively weigh small amounts of food, so I went ahead and weighed all the different foods I have for you! :D

I weighed them out in the smallest amount my scale will recognize which is .1 grams, so you'll have to do some math on your own to figure out how much to feed, but I hope this helps some people out. For the repashy I took picture of 1 gram and .1 grams just to give you a frame of reference. Obviously, how thick you make it and how big you cut it will change how heavy a piece is - I couldn't think of a good way to do this one, but at least you can get a frame of reference and estimate from there.

Young, growing goldfish should be getting anywhere between .5 -1% of their body weight in pellets per day. If you are feeding gel foods which contain more water weight you can go with a higher percentage such as 2-3% of body weight.

Weights of Different Foods:

Saki Hikari purple bag:

~25 pellets = .1 gram

New Life Spectrum:

~30 pellets = .1 gram

ProGold:

6 pellets = .1 gram

Hikari Lionhead:

12 pellets = .1 gram

Omega One Goldfish Pellets - Small:

30 pellets = .1 gram.

Repashy:

1 gram:

photo-37.jpg

photo-38.jpg

Repashy .1 grams:

photo-39.jpg

This is amazing! Thank you so much! 

Thank you every one for the replies. I do think now that I need to get my tele on a feeding schedule and try new foods. I say this because since I posted this topic yesterday, I fed my tele way less while I was away at school today for about 9 hours. (I have a little food dispenser for him to help spreading out his feeds during the day). So... I come home from school and he was having a little bit off issues with buoyancy again. So I know now that some of his buoyancy problem isnt from the amount of food i've been givng him the last couple weeks. Going to possibly try making gel his primary food for awhile over the pellets to see what happens. 

(I hope he isnt air gulping too much while I am away during the day)

I also read some where that buoyancy problems can be from nitrates in the water. I give him a 50% water change in his 55 gal every 5 days. Think it would be a good idea to do a larger water change in the case it could be nitrate levels?? 

You all are amazing people, btw :) 

I also read some where that buoyancy problems can be from nitrates in the water. I give him a 50% water change in his 55 gal every 5 days. Think it would be a good idea to do a larger water change in the case it could be nitrate levels?? 

Haven't you tested your nitrate?  If you don't know the level of nitrate that your tank develops between water change, you can only guess how much water to change.

Haven't you tested your nitrate?  If you don't know the level of nitrate that your tank develops between water change, you can only guess how much water to change.

Yes I do test. Almost everyday. But between water changes, my nitrate level is a steady 20ppm. After a 50% change and about the first full day after, my nitrates drop to about 15ppm. But Im thinking maybe I should try larger water changes to make them drop even lower. Have you ever heard of nitrate levels causing buoyancy issues, or is this just a theory that people have talked about? 

I have a fish I've nicknamed "Canary."   She's not yellow, but if nitrate goes up to 20 ppm, she flips over.  Lower the nitrate and she's right side up.

What test do you use that allows you to distinguish between 20ppm and 15ppm?  Do you have nitrate in your tap water?  If not, a 50% water change cuts your nitrate in half, and a 75% water change cuts it to 1/4.

Do us a huge favor and answer these questions from the Help Request Checklist.  They all will help us figure out your problem.  Just copy the form, paste it in your reply, and type your answers after each question.  I know you've answered some of these questions already, but it helps to not have them all in one place.

Please copy & paste fill the following form and fill it out to the best of your ability when requesting help for Goldfish Problems:

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrate level(Tank)
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrate level(Tap)
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?
      • * How often do you change the water and how much?
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size?
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?
Edited by shakaho