Digestion Time For Goldies.

KimA.

Good morning!

I'll cut to the poop and just ask the question:  How long does it take for a  healthy goldie to process a meal?

If I feed at  7pm and see poop hanging out at 7am, am I feeding too much?

We have two  piggy eaters who slow way down after eating and lay low in the tank. Sometimes they look a little uncomfortable. They are usually the two who have the poop kite tails hanging out the next morning.

They get  sliced peas whenever I feed the repashy   or  worms.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!  :help:

• Admin

Well in a case like this.. I would fast them for atleast one day a week every week... Its good for them...

Goldfish dont really have a stomach like us hun... So there food should pass through them in a few hours .... If your seeing long trails of poo we need to fast :(

If the fish get sluggish after eating, you feed too much -- probably at least twice what they can handle.  Try giving them half as much food and splitting that into a morning meal and an evening meal.

I think the density of the food may matter, too. I make very dense Repashy mix for my baby fish and I feed the new malnourished skinny ones 3-4 times a day in very small portions, and the healthy growing ones twice a day in slightly larger portions. Never see any sluggishness. The adults get a less dense mix twice a day.

They haven't been fed since 7pm Monday night and Barney Oranda's  dorsal fin is back up where it belongs. It's been down for about two weeks and it was simply due to my overfeeding.  Bad Mommy!

I fed half of what I normally feed this morning and chopped everything into   minute particles.  Let's hope he looks as good this evening.

Thanks, everyone! :thumbup2: