Can a pleco be a good tank mate for goldfish

Miss Bad Wolf

I have bushy nose plecos in with my goldfish and they seem to be fine together. There are many other types of plecos that would not be compatible with plecos. There has been many instances of plecos eating the slime coat of off goldies.

Agree with the others. I had a common pleco and my goldfish would beat him up and steal his algae wafers. Some plecos will also try to suck the slime coat off of goldfish. The goldies can't escape and it causes open wounds etc. Common plecos also can grow very large, up to 24" long and are not suitable for average sized tanks like a 55 gallon.

I have an albino bristlenose pleco. She is Princess Lucirena. She is only 2 inches and will probably grow to about 5 inches. She keeps the tank free of most algae. I love her for that!

On thing is that BN pleco poop a lot so you should consider the bioload you'll be adding to the tank.

Well what do you want the pleco for? just a different type of fish? do you want a diatom 9aka brown algae) eater?  Are you willing to add driftwood for the pleco to hide under and rasp on as well as supplement its diet (asking it to live on just diatoms if like you living on just iceburge lettuce).

Not all plecos are the same, and some get far to big for a 55g such as the common pleco (can get to 24" and need 300g tank) and leopard pleco (18" fish needs 150+g ideally over 200g).

Not all plecos eat diatoms, some are more carnivorous than others.  If left to eat just diatoms they may starve and will eat the slime coat off otehr fish (goldfish) its said once they develop this habit its pretty much impossible to break so they can't be kept with other fish anymore unless you want that fish to suffer.

Bristle nose is probably the favorite as it stays relatively small at about 6" max, and usually can stay in as small as a 20g tank (not with a goldfish though), it eats diatoms, is non aggressive, and generally doesn't damage plants.

Be sure you're ready to deal with the extra poop, plecos can have turd strands 4 the length of their bodies!

Supplementing diet includes algae wafers and blanched veggies for bristlenose.

• 3 weeks later...