Question on lights

dime1219

I have a 20 gallon tank and I have a led light bar. I checked the lums and it read 1015. Now is this too low for a low tech tank. I have a melon sword and a needle leaf Java fern, and they seem to be doing ok. But I want to know if they will be fine long term? I use root tabs and flourish also8aa834665530c7f9fa353c88d7e6f3cd.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

How long have you had your melon sword? I notice its leaves are a bit transparent which my Argentinean sword did when it had too weak of a light.  But sometimes leaves melt when the plant is new and adjusting to different water params.  Imo the fern will be fine, but sword will need more light.

Lumens don't really mean much in planted tanks. What brand is it?

Melon swords can have somewhat transparent leaves at times. Here's an example of a really nice specimen. :)

echinodorusOsiris3.jpg

It is an off brand light. I was using before I got the plants. This is a pic similar to what I have.It is dimmable I don't have the money to spend on a nice light. But would swing for a clip on shop light if need be

. 00ca590c8b443bc3a4bc37eacf683da1.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Unless it's just the angle of the photo, the echinodorus looks kind of sickly. I suspect the light is bright, but doesn't have any real power behind it. Good for illuminating your fish, but not so much the plants. It's just a hunch though.

You might find crypts do a little bit better. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...