Sign in to follow this  
AquaAurora

AQ salt question

SO I bring some water to a near boil (bubbles at bottom of put but not a rolling boil) then pour it into a bowl with per-measured out aq salt (30 level teaspoons for a 10g at 0.3% salinity) and let it dissolve over night, almost 36 hours actually.. do a water change and pour the water in (goldfish are in a separate cube until wc is done) and look how much aq salt is still left!  Looks like about 10-15 teaspoons worth.  Should I put this in a nylon stocking and plop it in the tank? or it just won't dissolve any more?

003_zps2cs1fih1.jpg

Edited by AquaAurora

I put mine in a nylon sock and let it dissolve on its own in the tank (when the tank is full).

I wonder if, at some point, in a small amount of water with lots of salt that the water will be "saturated" to the point that the salt won't dissolve anymore? Not sure about that one. I would have thought that boiling water would certainly dissolve even a lot of salt...

I put mine in a nylon sock and let it dissolve on its own in the tank (when the tank is full).

I wonder if, at some point, in a small amount of water with lots of salt that the water will be "saturated" to the point that the salt won't dissolve anymore? Not sure about that one. I would have thought that boiling water would certainly dissolve even a lot of salt...

yeah that's kinda what I thought and I didn't want to go from 0.3% to 0% with salt only in a bag taking hours to (day) to dissolve.. I'll try to slap it in a nylon stocking and put ti on the tank for the rest of the day/night.

I just put the salt in a jar, add some water, put the lid on and shake it vigorously,  Then, I pour the water into the tank, leaving the remaining salt in the jar, add some more water to the jar and repeat.  I do this until all of the salt is dissolved.  I don't even use hot water and it takes about 5 minutes.

Edited by Jared

I just put the salt in a jar, add some water, put the lid on and shake it vigorously,  Then, I pour the water into the tank, leaving the remaining salt in the jar, add some more water to the jar and repeat.  I do this until all of the salt is dissolved.  I don't even use hot water and it takes about 5 minutes.

thanks for the tip, I may grab myself a lidded container and do that.

I use a mason jar from the dollar store.

So I used a ~1 gallon jug with handle that use to have a pomegranate juice in it (thoroughly rinsed) worked like a charm, got all the salt dissolved in 3 batches of water (about 1/2-3/4 full jug each time).  Thank you again for the info!

Edited by AquaAurora

If you try to do it in a smaller volume of water it will precipitate out or not dissolve into the water as the solution reaches saturation. Just nylon diffuse it and you'll be fine.

If you try to do it in a smaller volume of water it will precipitate out or not dissolve into the water as the solution reaches saturation. Just nylon diffuse it and you'll be fine.

Does this have a bad effect on the goldies? going from 0.3% to 0.0% (from 100% water change) then going back up to 0.3% from the nylon stocking?  I thought from the pinned "how to quarantine new fish" if going from 0 to 0.3% you need 36 hours? Or is that just for initial adding of salt to get them use to it and after that the daily flux doesn't bother them?

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/114492-how-to-quarantine-new-fish/

• 2.) Raise salt to 0.3% for at least 1 week
  • Please see link on salt above when choosing a safe salt to use. Remember to completely dissolve salt before adding it to the tank.
  • Raise salt by 0.1% every 12 hours until you reach .3%

I'm not arguing with you, just asking questions to trying to understand it better.

Edited by AquaAurora

So I used a ~1 gallon jug with handle that use to have a pomegranate juice in it (thoroughly rinsed) worked like a charm, got all the salt dissolved in 3 batches of water (about 1/2-3/4 full jug each time).  Thank you again for the info!

Great, glad it worked :)

I prefer not to bounce them back and forth between salinity levels.  I also don't wear nylons, so I don't keep them handy :rofl

Edited by Jared

Great, glad it worked :)

I prefer not to bounce them back and forth between salinity levels.  I also don't wear nylons, so I don't keep them handy :rofl

I only use them for the tanks too