Too Inexperienced for Betta?

Mothercrow

So...I always look at the Bettas at the store. Because I'm an addict and there is apparently no program to help me.

Saturday they had a beautiful white veiltale with blue rays on his fins. Just gorgeous. He wasn't in a cup, he had been placed in a tank with what looked like neon tetras. (I'm still learning fish.) He was breathtaking. His fins looked like they had been clumped together at the ends, so I'm concerned that he might have some kind of fungus? I don't know much about fish disease.

For those of you who have experience, would it be crazy for a newb like me to purchase a fish that might be a difficult case from the get-go? I have a 2.5 gallon unfiltered glass tank that I could use for quarantine. Keeping in mind that my fish-keeping knowledge is about three months old, am I capable of giving this betta the care he needs?

I have a beautiful male koi already, in a 4 gallon tank I'm coming to hate. I was thinking that I could keep two bettas in my 20 gallon, with a divider. Is this too difficult of an undertaking for someone so new? What knowledge am I missing?

Thank you in advance.

• Helper

Agreed - rehome the koi first or get him suitable accommodations, before adding new fish to the mix. The more tanks you have the higher the maintenance.

Did you take any photos of the betta you were looking at you can share?  Fins might be clamped if dorsal, pectorals, and anal fins are held close to body, and caudal fin is not spread open (looks like a closed hand help fan) -usually means fish is sick or very uncomfortable.  But there are plenty of bettas with fin deformities either from damage that's healed, curled fins (genetic flaw-not health related), or other reasons.

Are you saying you hate the koi betta (if so can you illiterate why? don't like color? attitude?) or you hate the 4g tank?

A 2.5g with a small heater (adjustable heaters are typically more reliable than pre-set or 'constant on' style heaters) is plenty to start with a new betta.  Having a filter is helpful but keeping up with water changes they can survive without a filter (use Seachm Prime to bind ammonia and nitrite).

You can keep 2 bettas in a divided tank but you really need to make sure that divider is secure and there is a tight fitting lid that presses right against it.  There is a bettafish specific forum with a good DIY tank divider thread using silicone, plastic binder sleeves, and craft mesh. 

I had a bad experience with a cheap store bought divider and one of my bettas jumped through a 1/2" gap that was 2" above the water line to get to the othrr side-btw said betta was beat up by the other betta but I found them quick and moved them to separate tanks.  Never did divided tanks again

If you want to keep bettas in a divided tank make sure to put any new betta though quarantine in a separate tank first to ensure it doesn't spread disease/parasite etc to already healthy fish.  Worst case you can keep new fish floating in a cup in the divided tank and do water changes daily (and dose prime for ammonia) until qt period has finished.

Edited by AquaAurora

Oh my gosh. I'm very sorry. I'm having a bad communication day. Please let me start over and use my words.

In the 4 gallon tank, I have a male koi BETTA. He's not a pond fish! I can't believe I typed that! I am considering housing two male bettas in a fully cycled 20 gallon tank with a divider.

This is Shiro, the betta I own and house in a 4 gallon Fluval View. (But this picture is in the quarantine tank when I got him.)

1c691c27f04a5bd129837eba1090a33d.jpg

And because I said it poorly the first time, let me say, I love Shiro. I'm not a fan of his tank. Which is why I was considering moving him up to a larger tank, and I already own a 20 gallon.

Did you take any photos of the betta you were looking at you can share? Fins might be clamped if dorsal, pectorals, and anal fins are held close to body, and caudal fin is not spread open (looks like a closed hand help fan) -usually means fish is sick or very uncomfortable. But there are plenty of bettas with fin deformities either from damage that's healed, curled fins (genetic flaw-not health related), or other reasons.

Are you saying you hate the koi betta (if so can you illiterate why? don't like color? attitude?) or you hate the 4g tank?

A 2.5g with a small heater (adjustable heaters are typically more reliable than pre-set or 'constant on' style heaters) is plenty to start with a new betta. Having a filter is helpful but keeping up with water changes they can survive without a filter (use Seachm Prime to bind ammonia and nitrite).

You can keep 2 bettas in a divided tank but you really need to make sure that divider is secure and there is a tight fitting lid that presses right against it. There is a bettafish specific forum with a good DIY tank divider thread using silicone, plastic binder sleeves, and craft mesh.

I had a bad experience with a cheap store bought divider and one of my bettas jumped through a 1/2" gap that was 2" above the water line to get to the othrr side-btw said betta was beat up by the other betta but I found them quick and moved them to separate tanks. Never did divided tanks again

If you want to keep bettas in a divided tank make sure to put any new betta though quarantine in a separate tank first to ensure it doesn't spread disease/parasite etc to already healthy fish. Worst case you can keep new fish floating in a cup in the divided tank and do water changes daily (and dose prime for ammonia) until qt period has finished.

I did not get a picture, I'm sorry. It sounds lame now, but I walked out of the store and tried to put him out of my head. (Obviously failed.) I was out of town yesterday. I can go back to the store today and get a photo. I'm trying so hard to make a careful, considered decision about getting another fish.

I don't like the tank because it is hard to clean. There's a division in the bottom that keeps me from getting too deep into the gravel when I vacuum. The filter and lights are built into the tank, making it tough to make adjustments. (For example, I have live plants and I would like different lights.) The filter has two, strong outflows that I baffled, and Shiro seems happy, but any time I move the lid the baffles fall off and have to be adjusted. The water parameters and temperature fluctuate far more than my 20g. Also, the heater light indicates that it's working, but the temperature is down to 74°F in an un-air-conditioned house, in the summer! The unheated 20g is four degrees warmer. I'm going to get a better heater, but I hesitate to make the purchase if I'm switching tanks.

It's good to know about your experience with dividers! I will do more research into those, especially the craft mesh. (I know it as plastic canvas, I think that's the same thing?)

I'm told that bettas can "smell" other bettas in the water. Do divided tanks stress them out? I don't want to hurt them.

Shiro's current tank.

77bdb2bb584fa94a52a1e9cc65d13bb7.jpg

ETA: Shiro is in front of the leaf "wallpaper" in the middle right top of the tank.

Edited by Mothercrow

• Helper

That makes much more sense!

Yes, you may find a divided bigger tank is a better choice, but we had been said dividers can slip so customizing them yourself may be a better choice.

0b455c2d0750685058a8680e5ed3873f.jpg6ccb18083c83a0ad7401be3e2d97429e.jpg3d5ac854cf96cf2da39a45a500b7c45b.jpg

This is killing me. You can see that his body has taken on a pinkish color. I hope you can see that his top fin is glued together in a point now. The pet store employee said that they put him in the tank because he wasn't doing well, to see if he would recover. She didn't recommend buying him. He hid behind the decoration the whole time. I took video but it isn't uploading.

I wish I could show you the video. For just a second he's completely out and you can see what a beautiful fish he is. I'm trying so hard to be practical but I'm really upset about whether he'll recover.

Did you take any photos of the betta you were looking at you can share? Fins might be clamped if dorsal, pectorals, and anal fins are held close to body, and caudal fin is not spread open (looks like a closed hand help fan) -usually means fish is sick or very uncomfortable. But there are plenty of bettas with fin deformities either from damage that's healed, curled fins (genetic flaw-not health related), or other reasons.

A 2.5g with a small heater (adjustable heaters are typically more reliable than pre-set or 'constant on' style heaters) is plenty to start with a new betta. Having a filter is helpful but keeping up with water changes they can survive without a filter (use Seachm Prime to bind ammonia and nitrite).

You can keep 2 bettas in a divided tank but you really need to make sure that divider is secure and there is a tight fitting lid that presses right against it. There is a bettafish specific forum with a good DIY tank divider thread using silicone, plastic binder sleeves, and craft mesh.

I had a bad experience with a cheap store bought divider and one of my bettas jumped through a 1/2" gap that was 2" above the water line to get to the othrr side-btw said betta was beat up by the other betta but I found them quick and moved them to separate tanks. Never did divided tanks again

If you want to keep bettas in a divided tank make sure to put any new betta though quarantine in a separate tank first to ensure it doesn't spread disease/parasite etc to already healthy fish. Worst case you can keep new fish floating in a cup in the divided tank and do water changes daily (and dose prime for ammonia) until qt period has finished.

I did not get a picture, I'm sorry. It sounds lame now, but I walked out of the store and tried to put him out of my head. (Obviously failed.) I was out of town yesterday. I can go back to the store today and get a photo. I'm trying so hard to make a careful, considered decision about getting another fish.

I don't like the tank because it is hard to clean. There's a division in the bottom that keeps me from getting too deep into the gravel when I vacuum. The filter and lights are built into the tank, making it tough to make adjustments. (For example, I have live plants and I would like different lights.) The filter has two, strong outflows that I baffled, and Shiro seems happy, but any time I move the lid the baffles fall off and have to be adjusted. The water parameters and temperature fluctuate far more than my 20g. Also, the heater light indicates that it's working, but the temperature is down to 74°F in an un-air-conditioned house, in the summer! The unheated 20g is four degrees warmer. I'm going to get a better heater, but I hesitate to make the purchase if I'm switching tanks.

It's good to know about your experience with dividers! I will do more research into those, especially the craft mesh. (I know it as plastic canvas, I think that's the same thing?)

I'm told that bettas can "smell" other bettas in the water. Do divided tanks stress them out? I don't want to hurt them.

Shiro's current tank.

77bdb2bb584fa94a52a1e9cc65d13bb7.jpg

ETA: Shiro is in front of the leaf "wallpaper" in the middle right top of the tank.

Ah i hate those 'all in one' tanks.  i usually buy my tank/light/filter piece email (seperate).

Yes the plastic canvas mesh.  Theres some arguments about the 'smelling' other bettas.. seems a lot of people on the betta forum I read up on a while back say keeping a male and female in a divided tank is worse then 2 males (divided), or 2 females (divided).  best thing to do it actually split into 3 compartments and put heater/filter in middle section + lots of real/fake plants to make it impossible for them to see eachother 'across the way'.  If you only want to split into 2 sections denesly plant/decorate against the divider on both sides (all the way to the surface-minimize where they could see eachother.