Sign in to follow this  
KimA.

Something Stuck In Daisy's Mouth. Video To Watch.

This has been going on since last night.

I fed shelled pea halves which were quartered  before being added to the tank.

She's trying to eat, but can't grab anything.  I found some baby duckweed , but no luck.

Any ideas for helping  her? 

There's a fish vet not far, but I can't get in to see her  until Monday.

Oh no, I hope it's not too serious :hug

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Were the peas cooked?

Can you see a pea in her mouth?

Have you tried to lift the fish out of water/ upside down to see if that might help?

I would gently lift her out of the water, and hold her vertically, face down.

If that does not help, try to see if you can at least make out what is stuck in her mouth.

If it is indeed pea, then perhaps the piece was not cooked enough and too hard to chew and too big to swallow. It should soften over time in the water though and Daisy should be able to either spit it out or eat it.

Thanks for the suggestions.  I held her upside down  and  nothing changed. The inside of her mouth looks really red.  I put her in a float bowl in the tank and she ate  two small  blood worms without spitting anything out. Her mouth is moving a bit better so I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

:rockon  :rockon  :rockon  :rockon  :rockon  :rockon  :rockon  :rockon  :rockon  :rockon  :rockon  :rockon  :rockon  :rockon  :rockon  :rockon

Edited by KimA.

Well, she ate something, so that must be good news! I wonder what colour the inside of a goldfish's mouth is supposed to be? I have no idea! (I know that the inside of my mouth is red, and that seems to be normal for humans.)

If her mouth is red, then does a little salt in the water help to ease irritation? Or maybe the Melafix/Pimafix products could be useful? But usually it's just clean water that's needed, and some time to heal. No need to complicate things unless absolutely necessary.

Yeah, I would not add salt or any meds to it. The inside of a goldfish's mouth varies from light pink to almost red. The further back, the darker the color gets. 

If she is acting a bit better and able to eat, then I suspect it was just a pea that got stuck and is now slowly disintegrating. Just keep an eye on her! :)

Thanks!  This morning, she  was eating  tiny pieces of pea and repashy off the sand.  Still not looking 100% comfortable.

One day at a time! :thumbup2:

Edited by KimA.

Daisy is pooping like a draft horse, so she's  getting plenty of food into her system.  Her mouth still isn't back to normal so who knows what happened.   

I'm just glad she can eat!

Thanks for all the help. :I-Thank-You:

Well, she died about a week ago.  There must have been something else going on besides the mouth.   When I found her, the underbelly was  much  darker than the rest of her body. I had her in a large float net so she could eat and have soft material to lay on. I figured it would be easier on her than the sand.

It depends on how long she was dead for, as a darker belly after a few hours is part of the fish decomposing. If it was darker before she died I'd suspect a bacterial infection.

I'm sorry she passed :(

Edited by Arctic Mama

Is there gravel in the tank? I feed my fish whole, uncooked peas without issue.

The video shows sand in the tank, not gravel. Mikey had an Oranda that looked a lot like her, with the eating issues, as well that also passed. I also recall a telescope that had the frozen open mouth that also passed.

Sorry to hear she passed away. RIP Daisy.

Thanks for all your help.   This is a special group. :heart

so sorry for your loss. this group is indeed special.  :heart  :heart  :heart

Rest in peace, Daisy!