Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
flowerslegacy

Goldfish Grooming - Not!

Recommended Posts

I'd prefer to keep the discussion here so we can easily refer to the problems you have had.  What did you use for a QT?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Give it a good scrubbing with detergent water.  If you have a detergent with enzymes in it, that will help remove the biofilm.  Let it soak for a while before scrubbing.  A 10 gallon tank would fit in my old dishwater, and that did a great job of rinsing, but it won't fit in the new one.  

 

When the tank and HOB look nice and clean, fill the tank with bleach water (one part bleach plus 19 parts water,  put the HOB in place and let it run for an hour or two.  That should sterilize tank and filter well.  Empty, rinse, and dry.  Ideally, dry it in the sun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Arm and Hammer has a laundry detergent with enzymes. I can buy it in a smaller bottle as well. Let me know if this is appropriate, as I've never scubbed a tank with detergents. I think mine will fit in the dishwasher and that a great idea! I'll keep the 75 gal procedures the same as you posted above. I'm doing all this over the weekend so I'll let you know how it goes! Thank you so much for sharing your expertise. I appreciate it so much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm so sorry for your loss of Lou. Rest in peace, dear Lou.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I came home to my new guys and they were sitting on the bottom with the white film on them - just like Lou. I did another 100% WC and re-dosed with prazi and salt. That perked them up a little but they're still not normal. I'm on day 3 with the prazi, Round 1. What is that film? Is it caused by parasites? What type? Internal? External? I'm not seeing anything that looks like flukes. They obviously were nibbling on Lou so they injested whatever was on his skin. I assumed it was an overproduction of slime coat. I'm so scared I'm going to lose all my fish!

Edited by flowerslegacy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Give the little ones the antibiotics you tried to use on Lou.  

 

We don't know what is causing the excess slime coat, but the advanced symptoms Lou had suggest a bacterial infection, which the new fish now have.   

 

You can't see flukes without a microscope, but history says flukes aren't the problem.  You don't have to continue the prazi treatment right now.

 

I will check with the mod team for more suggestions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This might be caused by protozoan parasites.  One can treat that with formalin.  See if you can get "Quick Cure" locally.  I don't like throwing multiple medications at a fish, but the experience with Lou says we have to act fast.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like they have ick. All of them have it now. I can even see spots on the gills oft he bottom sitter. I'm downloading the pics so you can see it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay, here they are.  The Pearlscale appears to have some blood spot areas around his face.  I've only had ich once, so I'm assuming this is what is going on, correct?  I treated with high volumes of salt but all my fish were adults.  They're just little guys so let me know the best form of treatment you reccomend.  I'm also assuming I'll need to treat my 75 gal with something as well?  Or just continue with the normal process you reccommended?  I'm starting all of this now, so I'll check back in.  Wow, what a mess.  On the bright side, all of this at least led me to Koko's.  Thank you everyone.  I'm sure you're talking behind the scenes - I'm full of lessons!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay, here they are.  The Pearlscale appears to have some blood spot areas around his face.  I've only had ich once, so I'm assuming this is what is going on, correct?  I treated with high volumes of salt but all my fish were adults.  They're just little guys so let me know the best form of treatment you reccomend.  I'm also assuming I'll need to treat my 75 gal with something as well?  Or just continue with the normal process you reccommended?  I'm starting all of this now, so I'll check back in.  Wow, what a mess.  On the bright side, all of this at least led me to Koko's.  Thank you everyone.  I'm sure you're talking behind the scenes - I'm full of lessons!!

Photos hun :please

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are these pictures visible?

 

 

 

 

012_zpszlotxynl.jpg

 

003%202_zpszrmuse8t.jpg

Edited by flowerslegacy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Raise your salt concentration to 0.3%, 1 tablespoon per gallon. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll do a 100% WC on The Little's to remove the prazi and then I'll increase the salt.  I'll keep this up daily and keep you posted.

 

QT tank sterilization question:  I bought Clorox Regular in the 'splashless' bottle, only to discover the 'splashless' comment was referring to the bleach itself.  It's some nasty sort of thick detergent!  I was SO MAD.  Since it was too late, I just went ahead and scrubbed everything.  I almost just threw it all away!!  So I've rinsed everything well and now I have the tank full of clear water, and the HOB running for 1 hour. I'm going to drain the tank 3 more times and allow the HOB to run each time.  Then I'm going to find straight bleach and finish off the task.  If you think this is a waste of time due to the nasty clorox detergent, let me know.  I'm willing to just chuck it all if needed.

 

I'm starting the 75 gal now.  Hoping the beneficial bacteria has survived a week without any fish.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think my Little's have velvet.  They've advanced quickly from a few spots on their tails to having that creamy, spotted coating all over their bodies.  I googled some velvet images and it's spot-on (no pun intended). It looks much worse than ich. I bought some Mardel's Quick Cure this morning in fear I was going to start losing them.  They were on the bottom gasping and my ranchu is now pineconing.  I will admit that they look a little better, after sitting in the meds all day.  On a happier note, I finally got some straight up bleach.  My QT has been running with clear water and I'm going to bleach it tomorrow.  My main tank has been completely broken down, scrubbed, rinsed, etc. and is fully drying out.  I'll get around to decorating once I get a handle on my Little's.  I expect it to be long dried out before I get back to it.  I have the bio media in a bowl and I'll be adding a little ammonia every few days so I don't have to re-cycle.  Wow, it was a busy, fishy weekend!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry Lou passed. My Slate came down with symptoms that looked just like yours and it claimed her in about 4 days despite aggressive treatment and syringe feeding. :( Wishing you luck with the others.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Salt and formalin are both treatments for velvet, so what you have should work if anything will.  You may see copper products for treating this disease.  DON'T get them!  Goldfish have high sensitivity to copper.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you!! They seem to be doing much better today. Hoping the regular 3 day treatment works for them but it progressed so fast they may need a second round. I haven't had a lot of fish disease so I've obviously been lucky over the years. Just a hard reminder that good husbandry is essential and QTing new fish is a MUST! Keep you posted Shakaho. I really appreciate you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The first 3 day treatment didn't eradicate all the parasites so I'm doing one more treatment per the instructions. They look much better today and I suspect this second round should take care of it. Unfortunately my beautiful calico pearl scale is laying on her side. She can right herself and eat, but then she goes back to the top and floats on her side. She appears to be gasping. She still has a slight haze to her skin so I don't want to stop treatment. She may be stressed from the drugs but I'm not sure. I'm at a loss as to what to do. They all pooped long, white stringy poo for a couple of days so I'm suspecting internal worms. The Ranchu looked like he was peeling in certain areas as he had the parasites the worst. He looks better, but it's almost like it was a ph issue?? Not sure. I feel like I have several issues swirling at once. Hoping they make it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
  • Create New...