Sign in to follow this  
flowerslegacy

Goldfish Grooming - Not!

Prazi is a little difficult to find. My LSF is getting a shipment today so I plan on starting the new guys on the QT procedures today. Once Lou is done with the salt dips, I'll let you know and then wait for your instructions. Lou's appetite has decreased. He's eating but not like normal. Still on the bottom :(

Offer him his favorite foods several times a day.  

Let me start by saying that after the first dip, Lou's tank REEKS. I'm doing 100% water changes daily, but each day his tank is cloudy and little shards of his tail are in the bottom. He's only eating s little, but at least he's eating. Today was the second dip and Lou couldn't handle the 2% salt. He made it for 2 minutes and 20 seconds. I nudged him a couple of times to see if he could right himself and he could not. I removed him immediately. He stopped breathing when I first placed him in the fresh water, but after a few seconds his gills started moving again. He's okay now. I'll continue with the third dip at 1% unless you direct me differently.

Oh gosh, that's a bit nerve racking!

Hope he feel better soon ❤️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The stinky water means you are removing lots of stuff that needs removing.  How does his skin look now? 

I think you should take him out of the salt dip as soon as he rolls over (no prodding) since he exhibited considerable stress from the last dip.  I agree with 1% salt.

Do you have prazi yet?  

I found prazi on Amazon and had it the next day. Good luck!

He looks so much better and he's swimming around now! He still has some white coating, but it's better. His fins are ragged now but the little shards are decreasing on the bottom of the tank. Yes, I have prazi and I started the little guys on their QT regiment.

OK.  Let's start  Lou on prazi.  We can continue the dips until he looks clean, but you can stick to 1% salt for the dips.

Sounds good. I want to make sure I understand the treatments: Every other day I continue to do 1% salt tips until his skin is clear. I'm going to start prazi but I'm doing daily 100% water changes. His tank is filthy and it smells so they're necessary. So do I re-dose the prazi with each water change? The instructions say not to retreat more than once every 3 days. I want to make sure I dose properly.

Hi Shakaho, I wanted to post a few pics for you to review.  I'm so confused about the quick progression of Lou's sickness(es).  Can you teach me about what's happening to him?  I've never seen this through all the years of fish keeping.  He's never had fin rot or white eyes.  He also never showed any signs of septicemia on his underbelly.  The only redness I ever observed was the little red patches by his dorsal fins where the new little guys were nibbling him.  Now he's literally deteriorating.  His fins are all shredded and shards are falling off daily.  His entire underbelly is now bright red and inflamed.  His tank smells so bad that it stinks up my entire kitchen.  How could he be that sick yet never show any signs??  Obviously my lack of tank lighting kept me from seeing his slime coat overproduction, but what the heck??!  I'm trying to learn and understand what I clearly missed and I'm so baffled by it.  I feel like one day he was swimming around with gorgeous, silky fins and eating well.  Two days later he's shredded, blind, rotting and barely eating.  Thank God for the arrival of the new little one's who started to nibble on him and put a spot light on his sickness(es)!!  Do I need to also start a antibacterial treatment for septicemia??  My poor guy is SO ill!

026_zpsr4x2ssza.jpg

023_zpsfj2sboii.jpg

028_zpsgfc2jiop.jpg

That does look like hemorrhagic septicemia. You may be able to treat but the one fish j had displaying persistent bleeding in the underbelly looked better than Lou and still didn't respond to any OTC fish treatment. I euthanized the poor guy when it was clear he was getting worse despite me throwing every treatment I had at it.

He came from the store with the bacterial issues, but I didn't know that at the time. Technically any fish whose immune system is overcome can develop the condition but it is more rare in long term stock. Rarely does this pop up in a persistently healthy fish but it does sometimes happen. And yes, it can progress internally with minimal symptoms for a long time before it finally displays topically, though that is also more rare.

I'm sorry Lou is doing so poorly and hope Sharon can help. You're in very capable hands with her :)

Edited by Arctic Mama

Yes, we need to start an antibacterial treatment.  Do you have any antibiotics?

Yes I do! I have oxytetracycline, metro, sulpha and Kanaplex. I can get whatever else you recommend. I just purchased this last month while treating my other moor as Jared helped me with that. My other moor didn't make it. My dad died in December and I horribly neglected my tanks. It's all from poor water quality. I treated him with Kanaplex but only as a precaution because the other fish was sick. Sorry for all the posts. I can be wordy but I want you to know his background. Also, I'm not used to having to treat my goldfish! Per the other posts, how do I do 100% WC changes while treating with prazi? Do I continue his 1% salt dips? Thank you so much!!!.

OK.  Let's treat with metro and oxytretracycline.  We will stop the salt dips but add 1 teaspoon of salt per gallon of water.

How many days of prazi has he received?  

When doing 100% water changes, you have to dose the new water every day.

Thanks Shakaho. I only dosed him with prazi once, starting last night. I'll do another 100% change tonight. Going forward, do I dose with oxy, metro & prazi with salted water? Thanks so much.

Lou passed.  He lost a lot more of his fins, he was ravaged with inflammation at the base of his tail (which was new) and he was gone.  I'm still stunned by what happened to him.  I've never witnessed such a thing.  Obviously my guy was very ill and I had no idea.  I would've been dosing him long ago had I known.  I'm heartbroken over what I did to him.  I've had him for so long.

Shakaho, thank you for all your help.  I'll complete the quarantine procedures with the new guys and I'll completely breakdown and clean my 75 gal. :(

I'm sorry he passed away :(

Why don't you start a new thread with the breakdown of the tank and we may be able to troubleshoot your system. You probably don't need to sterilize your filter media, for example. But we can go over the various aspects and see if something is worsening issues in your tank other than the husbandry issues you already mentioned.

IM so sorry for your loss. RIP Lou.

So sorry.  I feared that would happen when I saw your last pictures.  You gave it your best.

Why don't you start a new thread with the breakdown of the tank and we may be able to troubleshoot your system. You probably don't need to sterilize your filter media, for example. But we can go over the various aspects and see if something is worsening issues in your tank other than the husbandry issues you already mentioned.

Arctic, Which topic should I post under? I need to disinfect and sterilize his QT plus break down the 75 gal. Thank you so much! I'm overwhelmed with how to proceed!

Arctic, Which topic should I post under? I need to disinfect and sterilize his QT plus break down the 75 gal. Thank you so much! I'm overwhelmed with how to proceed!

I'd actually do it here in the disease forum or maybe maybe the equipment section.

Get Lou a tub of his own. A 10 gallon tote will work fine. I recommend a shallow one like this. Most medications dose per ten gallons, so this size makes it easy to treat him. Do 100% water changes daily. You don't need a filter, but if you wish you can get a little HOB and run it for circulation and mechanical filtration. I think we should start with a series of salt dips. These will strip the slime coat and

We can start with a 1% salt dip, 1/3 as much salt as in the instructions for the 3% dip. If he tolerates the 1% salt for the full 5 minutes, use 2% salt for the second dip, two days later. If you have to remove him before 5 minutes, use 1% salt for the second dip. Two days after the second dip, follow the same pattern for the third dip -- if he tolerated the second dip for the full 5 minutes, increase the salt concentration, if not, use the same concentration.

I suggest you take the 75 down for a complete cleaning. Scrub the tank, the filters (but save the biomedia), and anything else you want to keep in the tank. Discard the mechanical filtration media. Put the biomedia in a bucket of dechlorinated water. Add a drop or so of ammonia to the bucket, and change the water every day or two. I want you to feed the nitrifiers so you don't have to cycle all over again but not feed any other microbes. Once you have the filters scrubbed, you can put the biomedia in the filters and let the bucket (or a tote) be the tank.

You should follow our quarantine procedure for the little guys.

Shakaho, you already gave me very clear cleaning instructions for my 75 gal. Based on Lou's progression and outcome, would you change any procedures? Also, I need to sterilize his QT tank. It was nasty. Would you like me to start another thread in the Disease topic regarding all this?