Fishing line or rubber bands--Java fern dilemmas

QandD

Hi all,

So I've recently added more plants to my tank, including a lovely Java fern mat from PAC. I know that it ought not to be buried in substrate, but the roots haven't really taken to my sand (it just sits there), and detritus tends to collect underneath it. 

I am hoping to tie it to some driftwood, which I have boiling away to sterilize it. The driftwood isn't the issue: I've had it before and it is safe. I can finally use it with my fish again, though, since this one is smaller, younger, and more agile (RIP Duchess). 

However, when it comes to tying it down, it sounds stupid but I've had a lot of problems with fishing line staying put. I have a few rubber bands that, while unsightly, seem more promising, but I'm worried about tying the fern too tightly to the wood. Any tips on using fishing line? Types of knots, etc? I feel kind of clueless, since people in videos make it look so easy! Thanks

I also use superglue.  Before that, I used string.  I found that I would tie the fishing line or rubberbands too tight, but for some reason I didn't tie the string too tight.... and a few months later after the roots took hold, I'd just cut the strings off.

I dunno what knot type I sue but I use very low poundage clear fishing line (the lower poundage is more manageable imo) and do at least 3 knots if not 4.  As for tieing I just try to keep it loos, think of the rhizome like your arm, its ok to have something pressed against it but don't make it tight or it will 'cut off the blood flow' so to speak.

I've not used super glue but read that if you do, you use very very little.  Another option is thread that will break down over time, but roots should attach to wood by then.

I stopped buying from PAC, their metal mesh that matted plants come on is NOT shrimp safe (only shrimp safe metal in tank is stainless steel and they are NOT) and killed 1/2 my shrimp colony before I'd realized and remove it!  They also mis-sold pygmy chain sword that is not pygmy, and Echinodorus parviflorus 'tropica' (suppose to stay at/under 6" and round leaves.. turned out to be an emersed plantlet from Echinodorus grisebachii which gets 16-20"!!  Then their shipping prices went through the roof...

Only positive I can say for them is their plants did not have algae a few years back when I got stuff.  But I won't buy from them again if they can't label their [censor] right!

Edited by AquaAurora

I dunno what knot type I sue but I use very low poundage clear fishing line (the lower poundage is more manageable imo) and do at least 3 knots if not 4.  As for tieing I just try to keep it loos, think of the rhizome like your arm, its ok to have something pressed against it but don't make it tight or it will 'cut off the blood flow' so to speak.

I've not used super glue but read that if you do, you use very very little.  Another option is thread that will break down over time, but roots should attach to wood by then.

I stopped buying from PAC, their metal mesh that matted plants come on is NOT shrimp safe (only shrimp safe metal in tank is stainless steel and they are NOT) and killed 1/2 my shrimp colony!  They also mis-sold pygmy chain sword that is not pygmy, and Echinodorus parviflorus 'tropica' (suppose to stay at/under 6" and round leaves.. turned out to be an emersed plantlet from Echinodorus grisebachii which gets 16-20"!!  Then their shipping prices went through the roof...

Only positive I can say for them is their plants did not have algae a few years back when I got stuff.  But I won't buy from them again if they can't label their [censor] right!

I'm sorry to hear that you had such a bad experience with PAC. I've enjoyed the plants I've gotten there, although my hygro is having some problems for some reason. 

Thanks for the advice re: tying down the Java: I think I managed it--at least for now!

I'm sorry to hear that you had such a bad experience with PAC. I've enjoyed the plants I've gotten there, although my hygro is having some problems for some reason. 

Thanks for the advice re: tying down the Java: I think I managed it--at least for now!

Is it holes in the leaves? hygro is a potassium hog and holes are a sign of potassium deficiency

Is it holes in the leaves? hygro is a potassium hog and holes are a sign of potassium deficiency

Actually it is browning around the edges. I was thinking nitrogen deficiency since perhaps the plant is reabsorbing the leaves? I've been trying to remove the damaged ones and fertilize a bit more. 

I lost a fish recently and was on a trip, so I am wondering if they are just feeling the effects of changes in the tank ecology.

Easiest way to superglue is to put a small dab of the stuff on the wood or rock, and then to hold the plant in place for a few minutes. Super glue shouldn't have any effect on the plant, so I doubt that killed your anubias. :)

To glue to wood, I think you need the wood to be dry. I could be wrong. Hopefully others will chime in on this.

It doesn't matter whether it's dry or not. You can actually glue underwater, although it can be more fiddly. :)

Update: so I managed to tie the Java fern mat to my driftwood, and so far it isn't moving around. I hope the roots stick!  If it falls off in the next few weeks I'll turn to my Loctite. 

Thanks for the suggestions!