Sign in to follow this  
xStatic

Betta Sorority Tank-Mate Recommendations

So i just upgraded my betta sorority from their 10 gallon tank to a 20 gallon long and now I'm thinking I should add some tank mates so I'm looking for suggestions. Right now I'm considering down albino cory cats but I heard that they don't do well on gravel? I was also thinking a small school of neon tetras but someone told me they might fin nip my bettas. So I'm sort of out of ideas. I might do shrimp but no nearby stores carry any and I don't really want to spend a lot of money on shrimp that might end up as betta snacks so other ideas are very welcome! :)e58dd57d73d693a203460e4d99d5e8ab.jpg

Dojo loaches? Cherry barbs? BN pleco (one), snails are cool I like the magenta mystery snails and nerites are cool. Threadfin rainbows where always a fav of mine as well.

Sent from my Z963VL using Tapatalk

Dojo loaches? Cherry barbs? BN pleco (one), snails are cool I like the magenta mystery snails and nerites are cool. Threadfin rainbows where always a fav of mine as well.

I really like dojo loaches but do you think they would do okay on gravel? I thought they liked to dig in the sand and I'm not sure if they would have the same issues with having their nose "feeler" things damaged by the gravel? Also read they need to be in a 55gal minimum...sigh.

Cherry barbs are pretty, I hadn't thought of that before... I'll have to see if anywhere near me carries them. A school of 6 or 7 cherry barbs might be ideal for my setup. Unforunetly I'm pretty much limited to Petco/Petsmart (I would QT all new fish of course), or I have to do an online order and it just really sucks to pay for shipping so I try to avoid it if possible. 

I also like BN plecos but I want something that's just a little more active and visible since the tanks looking a little empty/boring right now. 

As for snails, I like snails fine but I don't really keep them to look at them, mostly just to have something to clean up plant matter and stuff. I might put a couple nerites in the tank but I probably wont be doing any other type of snails. 

I put a ? Beside those two because I was not 100% on if they would work or not. Mainly just throwing out ideas with them. I've never had dojo loaches but have considered them before. I've had cherry barbs and never had any problems with them fin nipping. But the are barbs and barbs typically do so it might be something you would need to look up.

You have a beautiful tank and I wish you luck with whatever you decide to do :)

I put a ? Beside those two because I was not 100% on if they would work or not. Mainly just throwing out ideas with them. I've never had dojo loaches but have considered them before. I've had cherry barbs and never had any problems with them fin nipping. But the are barbs and barbs typically do so it might be something you would need to look up.

You have a beautiful tank and I wish you luck with whatever you decide to do :)

Oh yes of course, thank you for your ideas :) you got me thinking a little bit more out of the box than usual! 

There's something about the angle of that photo that makes the tank look HUGE! It looks awesome!

Looks really good!!!!

Your tank is very lovely :thumb: I bet the bettas love it. :)

NO barbs! They'll be way too nippy with the bettas. You have to be careful too because the bettas are very territorial.

I think the loaches are a great idea too. I don't think the gravel will be a problem :)

NO barbs! They'll be way too nippy with the bettas. You have to be careful too because the bettas are very territorial.

I think the loaches are a great idea too. I don't think the gravel will be a problem :)

Are cherry barbs nippy? I had them for 4 years when I was little with fancy guppies and never saw them nip at any fins. The zebra danios did though. Odd but I think the two long fin danios I had where the most aggressive fish I ever had and I've had Jack Dempsey cichlids lol.

The loaches are too big for my tank, and it seems they're social so they're better suited for 55+ gallons. Right now I'm leaning towards a school of cories on the gravel and hoping they don't get injured, and then a small handful of female platies. But, more creative ideas are always welcome :)

If your OK with a little aggression. Blue rams are cool and a pair would work in a 20 gallon.

First I'd recommend adding a lot more decor for line of sight break up.  Rule of thumb with keeping betta sororities: you should not be able to see the back glass from the front, nor see from one side of eh tank to the other (have TONS OF STUFF IN THERE).  Doing this will increase your chances of success long term as the girls have plenty of places to hide and get away from the others.  Leaving it sparse as it is may lead to 1 (or more) aggressive girl(s) chasing another to death (this doesn't always happen immediately after set up, can take weeks, even months).  If you ant to try shrimp having a [censor[ ton of hiding places will increase chance of survival, but they may end up as lobster buffet..  Getting larger species like ghost and amano is not a guarantee-I had a male betta that killed these when introduced to his tank (he doesn't get along with ANYTHING).

As for tank mates what is you pH and hardness?

Remember to get a group of 6 or more as these are shoaling fish:

Pygmy cory (prefer sand)

Dwarf cory (prefer sand)

Ember tetra (low ph)

Chilli Rasboras

lampchop rasboras (can be very timid)

danio tiniwin (hard to find-unlike the otehr danio species this one is not nippy, making it a great dither fish)

various tetra inclue cardnial, neon, glowlight (female bettas move faster than males with their shorter fins so they may be ok.. but monitor always for nips/issues)

others:

nerite(s)

mysteyr snail (s)

Are cherry barbs nippy? I had them for 4 years when I was little with fancy guppies and never saw them nip at any fins. The zebra danios did though. Odd but I think the two long fin danios I had where the most aggressive fish I ever had and I've had Jack Dempsey cichlids lol.

Since the bettas are the primary fish I'd not risk it by adding any potential nippy or aggressive fish like barbs or rams. They may be fine, but probably not in a 20 gal. Why risk it :idont

Well she did ask for outside the box idea :idon't

I agree it would be risky. You would be betting on the aggressiveness of the Bettas balancing out with the rams for minimal disputes. Of course if the rams breed then that would through the ballance off even if you did achieve it and would likely through the tank into chaos. So yeah in hind site while it's definitely a different idea probably not a good one.

My question is, and maybe I just keep missing the info: How many bettas are in your sorority to begin with? Pre-existing stocking level is important to know before we suggest other fish to add to this. :)

Looked like 3 to me but I dont believe it was stated. Good point though.

If you like peaceful, small loaches you could do a trio of sidthimunki loaches (dwarf chain loaches). They are good in planted tanks or smaller tanks. The fish store I used to work at kept them together with bettas. 

Yeah, I can easily make out two in that picture. But then again this was clearly taken right after the tank was set up and filled, indicated by the bubbles still stuck to the glass. So it could technically be that there is half a dozen more fish - slightly freaked out by the move - hiding in the plants.

And when you consider you want to give each betta a good 2 gallons of water volume, this example would only leave one with 6 more gallons volume available.

Theoretically speaking, of course.

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

Yeah, I can easily make out two in that picture. But then again this was clearly taken right after the tank was set up and filled, indicated by the bubbles still stuck to the glass. So it could technically be that there is half a dozen more fish - slightly freaked out by the move - hiding in the plants.

And when you consider you want to give each betta a good 2 gallons of water volume, this example would only leave one with 6 more gallons volume available.

Theoretically speaking, of course.

There are 7 female bettas in the tank right now :)

7 is a pretty big number and would consume most of the stocking space. I agree with AquaAurora about adding more décor or plants. With that many Bettas chances are aggression will occur at some point. I understand that larger numbers do help to spread it out so that one is not picked on all the time but 20 gallons does not give much room to run and hide if problems occur.

You may still have room for some tank mates chilli Rasbora's are quite small if I remember and are a thought.

You may want to just wait it out for a while if you have not had the tank up ling just to be sure everything is good before adding more fish.

In the end it's all up to you and from what I have gathered you are good at researching and seem responsible. So I believe you can make the best choice for your set up :)

I had neon tetras with bettta fish no problem.  They are hardier than neon for sure.  Your tank s beautiful :thumbup2:  by the way. 

I redid the whole tank today! Replaced all of the fake plants with real plants... They're not very big yet but hopefully they're start growing before too long! The betta fish are all happy and healthy. I adopted a clown pleco who is settled in nicely. The tank is technically overstocked now but I haven't had water quality issues so far, so I think it'll work out fine. Hopefully the plants will help a ton! There's a bunch of dwarf water lettuce and duckweed floating in the back there which will probably start taking over soon so that should also help with any excess nutrients from the pleco. bf425ca4eecf74f72ab198ce0a626aeb.jpg6628df25e79a13df3a2648456ab1b260.jpg