Sign in to follow this  
xStatic

Guppy tail re-growth

I got 9 free male guppies from someone who had too many and right now they're in a QT tank but I'm planning on putting them into my 20gal long with my platies. However, a bunch of the guppies have nipped/shredded tails so I was wondering what I should do to promote healing and I was wondering if anyone knows how long it might take them to heal up? I'm just planning on keeping the water warm and clean. Also, will it be a problem that I don't have any females (should I get some). Most stuff I saw online was saying 2-4 females per male but I don't think my tank would be able to hold 18+ females in addition to the males and the platies. I only have 5 platies in the tank right now with a few ramshorn snails and some anubias and java fern. 

Also, can they eat repashy soilent green? I don't actually have any flake food on hand, mostly just goldfish and betta foods (frozen bloodworms), and I just feed the platies a few pieces of extra repashy food every day so I was hoping that would be okay for the guppies as well. 

Sorry if my questions are a little basic, I don't actually know much about guppies other than the basics.

Edited by xStatic

Don't know how long but just keep the water clean they should be fine.

I have had good luck with tails growing back. So long as they are not torn all the was to the base of the tail. Jut keep the water clean and maybe use a bit of salt as well. 

The replshy soilent green should be fine. Guppies do best with lots of veggie based foods. 

I got 9 free male guppies from someone who had too many and right now they're in a QT tank but I'm planning on putting them into my 20gal long with my platies. However, a bunch of the guppies have nipped/shredded tails so I was wondering what I should do to promote healing and I was wondering if anyone knows how long it might take them to heal up? I'm just planning on keeping the water warm and clean. Also, will it be a problem that I don't have any females (should I get some). Most stuff I saw online was saying 2-4 females per male but I don't think my tank would be able to hold 18+ females in addition to the males and the platies. I only have 5 platies in the tank right now with a few ramshorn snails and some anubias and java fern. 

Also, can they eat repashy soilent green? I don't actually have any flake food on hand, mostly just goldfish and betta foods (frozen bloodworms), and I just feed the platies a few pieces of extra repashy food every day so I was hoping that would be okay for the guppies as well. 

Sorry if my questions are a little basic, I don't actually know much about guppies other than the basics.

Platies and Guppies will get along just fine.... I would add just a little bit of salt. Guppies and all live bearers love salt. Not alot just alittle like under .1% salt. That will help to heal the fins. No you dont need Females unless you want them to breed :o

Yes they can they love blood worms and green foods, they love live plants too as they like to nip at them. :)

No question is basic we all got to learn some how hun :)

Ask away. TD and I been raising guppies for over 15 years and now on to the Mollies :)

Platies and Guppies will get along just fine.... I would add just a little bit of salt. Guppies and all live bearers love salt. Not alot just alittle like under .1% salt. That will help to heal the fins. No you dont need Females unless you want them to breed :o

Yes they can they love blood worms and green foods, they love live plants too as they like to nip at them. :)

Ask away. TD and I been raising guppies for over 15 years and now on to the Mollies :)

Thanks for the info and tips! 

So far I like them. Yesterday they seemed stressed and mostly stayed in a huddle at the top of the tank but today they are exploring a lot more and showing their personalities. Its funny how I can already see the different behaviors and personalities of the guppies. They're all just orange males but I can tell some of them apart because some are more brave/nippy, and some are more timid, a couple of them like to explore together away from the main group a bit more while the rest like to stick in a tight school. I'm pretty sure they came out of a really small tank so they might be feeling a little overwhelmed by the size of their QT tank :)

Thanks for the info and tips! 

So far I like them. Yesterday they seemed stressed and mostly stayed in a huddle at the top of the tank but today they are exploring a lot more and showing their personalities. Its funny how I can already see the different behaviors and personalities of the guppies. They're all just orange males but I can tell some of them apart because some are more brave/nippy, and some are more timid, a couple of them like to explore together away from the main group a bit more while the rest like to stick in a tight school. I'm pretty sure they came out of a really small tank so they might be feeling a little overwhelmed by the size of their QT tank :)

Yeah give them a few days, they will snap out of it :) Make sure you got plenty of hiding spots :)

Livebearers like Guppies, Paties and Swordtails all get along very well together. Just be sure to keep up with you weekly 10% water changes and cleanups. Be careful things don't get too crowded or the ammonia contamination gets multiplied. 

And yes aquarium salt is excellent. It helps build up a protective slim coat that can ward off things like ich. Just be sure to use aquarium salt and not any old household salt. 

Pick up some flake food next time you're out. It's cheap plus it's got the added vitamins and minerals to keep them healthy. What you're feeding them now is okay for a few days but not in the long term.

As for ripped tails and fins... With Guppies that's it. They will stay that way until they die. No cure or way to mend them. In Guppy society the males are dispensable. Two males will fight over a female for breeding rights. Also females will turn on a male Guppy, relentlessly attacking him until he has no fins remaining. Then he just floats to the bottom of the tank where he lays there and starves to death. Such a horrible way to go. Watch this YouTube video that shows their behavior over this 5 year study by this Russian man.... very eye opening!