Bristol Shubunkin body thickness?

AquaAurora

So I've read Shubunkin can get up to 12" long, but I'm curious how wide they get? Specifically the circumference of an adult Bristol shubunkin.

I'm planning a water bridge to connect 2 tanks and don't want to make the pipe too narrow for adults to get through.  I was thinking 6" diameter pvc but if  the fish  stay narrow enough I  may get 4" instead to save some $.

Not sure what would better.  More room sounds better, but would it be safer?  Do fish ever try to turn around and get stuck midway?  That IS a consideration for snake hides and supposedly dog doors.

Wish I could be of more help.

AFAIK, Shubunkins stay slender - damage to the big B of that tail, might be another issue.

Edited by Distaff

Not sure what would better.  More room sounds better, but would it be safer?  Do fish ever try to turn around and get stuck midway?  That IS a consideration for snake hides and supposedly dog doors.

Wish I could be of more help.

AFAIK, Shubunkins stay slender - damage to the big B of that tail, might be another issue.

good point don't want them trying to u-turn and get jammed, hmmm

Here is information on the British standard for Bristols.  The body of the British bristol looks similar to that of the hibuna.  While one British source says bristols don't reach 12" t.l. (total length), let's assume they do.  The tail should be 1/2 of the body length, which makes the standard length 8" and the tail fin 4".  The standard says the body height should be 3/8 of the body length, so 3".   I looked at my fish that have a s.l. of 8-9 inches, and they appear 1.0 to 1.5 inches wide.    I have a plastic tank 6" wide that I use to take pictures of the fish.  My big fish can turn around easily in that, but a round pipe doesn't provide as much turning space.  

Like Distaff, I worry about the tails.  Fish do damage their tails going through small spaces, and if you lose the tail form of the Bristol, and break the dorsal fin, you just have a shubunkin.  I'd stick with comets and American shubunkins if I were to have a bridge.  Of course the bridge would be fine for young fish, and these would also use the bridge more than their seniors.

Here is information on the British standard for Bristols.  The body of the British bristol looks similar to that of the hibuna.  While one British source says bristols don't reach 12" t.l. (total length), let's assume they do.  The tail should be 1/2 of the body length, which makes the standard length 8" and the tail fin 4".  The standard says the body height should be 3/8 of the body length, so 3".   I looked at my fish that have a s.l. of 8-9 inches, and they appear 1.0 to 1.5 inches wide.    I have a plastic tank 6" wide that I use to take pictures of the fish.  My big fish can turn around easily in that, but a round pipe doesn't provide as much turning space.  

Like Distaff, I worry about the tails.  Fish do damage their tails going through small spaces, and if you lose the tail form of the Bristol, and break the dorsal fin, you just have a shubunkin.  I'd stick with comets and American shubunkins if I were to have a bridge.  Of course the bridge would be fine for young fish, and these would also use the bridge more than their seniors.

thank you very much for the info!