Dorm Pets Suggestions?

Hello! I'm going to be moving into a dorm this month, and while I have family willing to take care of my larger fish, I'd really like to have a tank to take care of throughout the year :) The criteria I'm working with are:

• I have a 4 gallon aquarium with a HOB filter or a 10 gallon with a sponge filter that I can use. 10 gallons is the max that my school allows.
  • I'd prefer a somewhat understocked tank, because frequent or large water changes are sure to be a pain in a dorm
  • This is my biggest concern: Something that will have an easier time with the 2.5-3 hour car ride to my school. I'll have to make this trip at least 4 times a year for the major breaks, and I know that some fish can be very bothered by the long and bumpy trip

That is why I was thinking snails could be appropriate? Do they have an easier time with car rides since they can anchor themselves to the holding container? In addition, does anyone have suggestions as far as types/numbers go?

(I know I'm going to be a bit limited with these criteria, but I'd also welcome any suggestions for fish/shrimp/basically any aquatic critters that would meet these conditions! Thanks a lot!)

Hello! I'm going to be moving into a dorm this month, and while I have family willing to take care of my larger fish, I'd really like to have a tank to take care of throughout the year :) The criteria I'm working with are:

• I have a 4 gallon aquarium with a HOB filter or a 10 gallon with a sponge filter that I can use. 10 gallons is the max that my school allows.
  • I'd prefer a somewhat understocked tank, because frequent or large water changes are sure to be a pain in a dorm
  • This is my biggest concern: Something that will have an easier time with the 2.5-3 hour car ride to my school. I'll have to make this trip at least 4 times a year for the major breaks, and I know that some fish can be very bothered by the long and bumpy trip
  • Also, nothing with super strict pH/hardness requirements, because I have no idea what the dorm water will test at!

That is why I was thinking snails could be appropriate? Do they have an easier time with car rides since they can anchor themselves to the holding container? In addition, does anyone have suggestions as far as types/numbers go?

(I know I'm going to be a bit limited with these criteria, but I'd also welcome any suggestions for fish/shrimp/basically any aquatic critters that would meet these conditions! Thanks a lot!)

(EDIT: Aaaaah I'm sorry I meant to edit my original post, not add another! Oops!)

Edited by morningleaf

When I was at college, I had a betta and he did quite well with the traveling (my commute was an hour each way 3-4 times a year).  He actually lived a total of 5 years.

If you like snails, I've got a snail in with each of my bettas. I think a snail/betta in a 4 gallon tank is a relatively low bioload.  I've never traveled with them, but I know you'll want to acclimate them to new water exactly the same way as a fish.  

Let's see what others here think.

• Helper

Does your dorm allow pets? Mine didn't allow any in the freshman dorm, but the upperclassmen apartments allowed pocket pets and small aquariums. I ended up doing a ten gallon tank with two gouramis.

Betta in a 10G gets my vote too! 

When my son in law was in college, he was in a dorm with 3 other guys. All 4 of them had a betta in 2 gallon tanks (fluvals I think) on their desks. 2 roomies took their bettas with them when they went home for more than a weekend and 2 left theirs behind. All 4 did fine. (I wouldn't recommend leaving them alone for more than a week though) Leaving anything alone would depend on how much you trust where they are being left and with whom.