How lethal are trace amounts of soap in tank?

EvilVegan

Hey guys,

How lethal is very small amounts of soap?

I did something mindlessly. I was giving my daughter a bath, washed her with soap, rinsed my hands off in the tub (which was a little soapy, but not bubble-bathy), then went to check on the pets (the wife was watching the kid).

I noticed something out of place in the tank and stuck my hand in without thinking about the soap I may not have sufficiently rinsed off.

I used maybe a tablespoon of soap to wash the kid, rinsed it by swishing my hand around in the tub until it wasn't slimy/soapy any more, then dried it off.

Should I panic and get them out of the water, or observe it for signs of distress? This is my QT tank and these are new/young goldfish and plecos I was isolating before putting them into my main tank.

Edited by EvilVegan

• Admin

Hey guys,

I did something mindlessly. I was giving my daughter a bath, washed her with soap, rinsed my hands off in the tub (which was a little soapy, but not bubble-bathy), then went to check on the pets (the wife was watching the kid).

I noticed something out of place in the tank and stuck my hand in without thinking about the soap I may not have sufficiently rinsed off.

I used maybe a tablespoon of soap to wash the kid, rinsed it by swishing my hand around in the tub until it wasn't slimy/soapy any more, then dried it off.

Should I panic and get them out of the water, or observe it for signs of distress? This is my QT tank and these are new/young goldfish and plecos I was isolating before putting them into my main tank.

Is there any bubbles in the tank?

I would do a water change and change the water in the filter .... :)

Hey guys,

Is there any bubbles in the tank?

I would do a water change and change the water in the filter .... :)

Not even a little bit.  It was a veeeery small amount of soap at most.  

I was just wondering what the lethality was at trace levels.  My hands still smelled like soap, but they weren't slick in water.  It was also a gentle, baby soap (if that mattered).

I'll do a change then.

I am not claiming to be an expert on the subject nor so I have any knowledge of any kind on the topic but I would not worry about it at all. Out of curiosity, what size is the tank? Obviously a larger tank would mean a lower concentration of soap.

I am not claiming to be an expert on the subject nor so I have any knowledge of any kind on the topic but I would not worry about it at all. Out of curiosity, what size is the tank? Obviously a larger tank would mean a lower concentration of soap.

It's 40 gallons with the sump.  

I found this: https://books.google.com/books?id=L-8gBQAAQBAJ&pg=PA125&lpg=PA125&dq=how+much+soap+is+lethal+ppm&source=bl&ots=5-UK8adCxS&sig=vwChrmtKSzOqg1O0Rt52WHDRkuA&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiznOXLrrPOAhWDYiYKHQkWA-sQ6AEIHDAA#v=onepage&q=how%20much%20soap%20is%20lethal%20ppm&f=false

Which says that it gets bad at least by 5 ppm and lethal around 20 ppm.  Soooo... it's probably fine.  It probably wasn't even 1/20th of a teaspoon at most.

Edited by EvilVegan

• Admin

It's 40 gallons with the sump.  

I found this: https://books.google.com/books?id=L-8gBQAAQBAJ&pg=PA125&lpg=PA125&dq=how+much+soap+is+lethal+ppm&source=bl&ots=5-UK8adCxS&sig=vwChrmtKSzOqg1O0Rt52WHDRkuA&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiznOXLrrPOAhWDYiYKHQkWA-sQ6AEIHDAA#v=onepage&q=how%20much%20soap%20is%20lethal%20ppm&f=false

Which says that it gets bad at least by 5 ppm and lethal around 20 ppm.  Soooo... it's probably fine.  It probably wasn't even 1/20th of a teaspoon at most.

Well that is a very low amount hun.... Not as bad as I thought hun... I wouldnt worry to much. Just do a water change if you feel more comfy :)

The toxicity of soap and even detergent to goldfish gets greatly exaggerated.  Of course you don't pour soapy water in the aquarium, but a bit on your hand won't cause any problem.  

I confess to using detergent (with enzymes) to wash things that go in the fish ponds.  I don't know a better way of removing accumulated algae biofilms.   We don't recommend this because people often don't rinse well.

While I don't think lotion on your hands will harm fish either, I prefer a little soapy water to that.

That said, you never go wrong by changing water if you consider your tank contaminated.

Edited by shakaho

Vinegar denatures proteins, which may make them less soluble and harder to remove.  It does make a good rinsing solution after the enzyme-detergent soak and scrub. Water works too.