AquaAurora

Wound?Tumor/Cysts? Pimple?

• * Ammonia Level(Tank) 0ppm
  • * Nitrite Level(Tank) 0ppm
  • * Nitrate level(Tank) 5-10ppm
  • * Ammonia Level(Tap) 0ppm
  • * Nitrite Level(Tap) 0ppm
  • * Nitrate level(Tap) 5-10ppm
  • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.5 pH, KH 4 drops (71.6ppm), GH 10 drops (179ppm) have no test for chloramines, my lfs does not test them either
  • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.5 pH, KH 5 drops (89.5ppm), GH 10 drops (179ppm) have no test for chloramines, my lfs does not test them either
  • Other Required Info:
    • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?  API freshwater master test kit (liquid/dropper style)
    • * Water temperature? 74F
    • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 40g breeder running since April 2016
    • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Aquatop np 305, 315 gph, surrounded by foam and ceramic/bio media (water has to pass through media before it reaches pump)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006K3B7RG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• * How often do you change the water and how much? Typically 2x a week 10g per a water change ([censor] ton of plants take care of nitrates).
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? yesterday 10gs
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? You may give the weight of each fish or the length.  For goldfish, include the variety, and use (and indicate that you used) the standard length (sl) -- the length from the tip of the nose to the base of the tail fin.  1 oranda 40g and 1 ryukin x fantail mix(I think) 37g.  I also have 1 mystery snail, not full grown yet.
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?Seachem Prime.  Seachem flourish line: flourish, potassium, iron, phosphorus.
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? home made gel food view this post for info http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/124166-aquaauroras-goldfish-ripariumaquaponic-and-planed-tank/?p=1984271 fed 4x a day 10am, 1pm, 4pm, 8pm.  sinking but I hand feed mostly, unsure of exact weight as I don't have a 0.__gram scale, I might be slightly over feeding?
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? If you have added new fish in the past few months, indicate which ones,  the duration of quarantine, and any treatments you used during quarantine. No new fish, both fish bought in april.
  • * Any medications added to the tank? This includes any used recently or currently in the tank. No
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.  This can be a long answer if you have a sickly fish.  You can link to old D/D threads if we have advised on treatment before. No meds or treatments have been done to this tank/these fish.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? List all physical symptoms. Red sour and white wound or tumor(?) with slightly raised bump.
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? List all behavioral symptoms. Nothing unusual/different from normal behavior.

2 days ago I noticed the oranda had a white mark on its side near the tail, scales were gone and I assumed she scraped them off against one of the large river rocks perhaps being pushed into it by the ryukin mix, or from trying to squeeze somewhere she should not have been.  I decided to increase water change frequency to help it heal by doing water change every day, 10gs. (usually only do 2 water changes a week 10gs each-plants take care of nitrates). 

Poop is healthy brown color, forages/eats and swims around just fine, no gasping, lethargy, or swim issues of any sort.

Today I noticed the white area has a raised bump like a pimple and there is now a small red sore next to the white area too.  These are the only sighs of anything being wrong.

Photos of the wound (sorry for quality)

018_zpsg2bbffgq.jpg

010_zpsozt701gr.jpg

006_zpsrvifujax.jpg

edit: 1 more photo

004_zpsr0vhqceh.jpg

I wanted to know if this is just a bruise of some sort or something much worse like a tumor or cysts?

Going to go do a water change now. 

Edited by AquaAurora

Just looks like a little bacterial cyst to me. I'd move him to a hospital tank and swab it with some meth blue or peroxide, but otherwise just keep his water clean and reintroduce him to everyone else when it is healed. Usually these aren't linked to bigger systemic infections, but if more symptoms pop up let us know.

Just looks like a little bacterial cyst to me. I'd move him to a hospital tank and swab it with some meth blue or peroxide, but otherwise just keep his water clean and reintroduce him to everyone else when it is healed. Usually these aren't linked to bigger systemic infections, but if more symptoms pop up let us know.

Thank you for the quick reply!  I have both medications available, how often should I swab the wound? 1x a day until bump goes away?  Sadly I only have a 10g qt right now but I'll prep it and move her over (will be mindful to do large water changes daily and dose prime to bind ammonia).

Edited by AquaAurora

10 gallons is just fine. If you have both I prefer meth blue, and I'd swab it twice daily.

10 gallons is just fine. If you have both I prefer meth blue, and I'd swab it twice daily.

I've never swabbed fish wounds before, so is there any specifics like "keep the wound at the surface for __ seconds after swabbing (to let it do its thing before its diluted by the tank water) then release fish"?

Just want to make sure I do it right ^^''

I set up my qt tank and am letting it run until fish dinner time.  1of my 2 heaters I had in storage gave me trouble before, but I forget which so testing it before moving goldfish in.  Did a 15g water change on the 40g.  I tossed in some foam media from the 40g on the HOB, and set up an air stone.

Edited by AquaAurora

It won't hurt anything if it gets in the tank. But I like to have a medicated cotton swab ready next to the tank. Then I catch the fish with my hand or a net, hold it against the glass with one handbags swab the affected area with the other.

Edited by Arctic Mama

I let the 10g qt heater run over night to make extra sure the heater was functioning fine.  It is so Chocolate went in Aug 5th in the am, did a swab treatment then and again before bed.  Its been 2 days not ans the area in question looks a lot better!

008_zps0vzrll6s.jpg 005_zpsnwyvam6z.jpg

No other symptoms of issues  She can appear sulky sometimes being along in basically mental word  white room for a qt, but perks up when anyone comes by the tank and bolts forward for food, poop still normal color.

Wow, that looks much better!

Give her another two days of observation. If nothing else pops up she can go back in the main tank.

Give her another two days of observation. If nothing else pops up she can go back in the main tank.

So observation only, no more swab treatments?

thank you again for he advice!

You only need to swab if it is a wound, and I see nothing in the picture. If that's true then just keep an eye on it and return the fish to the main tank if things continue looking good.

Chocolate is back in the main tank and very happy to be with Sprinkles again!  Thank you again for the help!

photo of the area that had problems, taken just before shifting Chocolate over.  Is just a pale area now (scales need to grow back) no bump or bruise left.

006_zpsjbv85fsc.jpg

Yay--congratulations!

Its been several days now.  Chocolate is doing well, thank you again for the help!

Great, glad it was nothing that needed much assisting :)

Sadly it seems I cursed her by saying she as doing well.. but she WAS doing fine...Ate at 4pm feeding time, last time I saw poop dangling from her (yesterday) it was brown... well walk by the tank around 7:40pm and can't find Chocolate.  Dug around in the water sprite and finally found her stuffed in the plants, unmoving, tail shredded. I thought she was dead but when I pulled her out of the water about 2 seconds she weakly gulped. 

Sprinkles and very berry are still fine but Chocolate is on the brink of death.  Whats odd is she still has her color (use to fish going pale when dieing/very sick-i notice in photo she's started getting mroe yellow but in tank she was still black/bronze).  I pulled the plants from the qt tank and put in water from the main tank, dosed prime to bind ammonia, stuck in an air stone and heater and moved chocolate over.  She floats on her side when left be, only gulps when out of the water for several seconds, otherwise no noticeable movement.  Her tail is wrecked.. unsure if she got stuck behind a rock or if Sprinkles harassed her to death (she's not been beat up before though)?

Noticed she started a yellow poop when put into qt tank.

no clue what to make of this.. no pine coning, no bloating (just usual fat fishy-ness of a goldfish), she had an apatite and was active 4 hours ago... wtf do I do?!

008_zpsyqspbjhn.jpg
009_zps7jxoahrn.jpg
017_zps3t6kpow7.jpg

The pacimist in me says she's too far gone and I should just clove oil euthanize her, but she's the reason we got goldfish (hubby picked her out) so i want to give her a chance.. no clue what meds to dose if any?  Main tank readings are same as before, though i did do a 15g water change  today, but as stated above, otehr inhabitants are just fine.

Edited by AquaAurora

IM so sorry to hear she isn't doing well. 

She passed sometimes last night, slight green hue on a few parts of her body after death, not sure if this helps hint towards what was wrong?

Hubby and i could not brig ourselves to do an autopsy.  Bleach cleaning qt tank, its equipment, and water change stuff.

001_zpsj7wobbib.jpg

IM so sorry for your loss.

Oh no, I'm so sorry. That was sudden - how sad! She was a beautiful fish. I hope you find out what went wrong :(

I'm so sorry :(

I'm so sorry. Rest in peace, Angel goldfish.