Do I have the proper conditions for Nerite snails?

Phil B.

Hey guys. I'm going crazy here trying to keep the brown algae off my plant leaves, but have heard that Nerites are good at cleaning it? So I'm willing to give them a try.

Tank conditions:

75 gal with 3 goldies.

Ammonia and Nitrites near zero.

Nitrates in the 20-30 ppm range.

Ph 8.0

KH 5.0

GH around 4.5

We tend to get white spots/mineral deposits, so I assume that indicates calcium in the water?

Thinking of ordering snails on Amazon from Aquatic Arts. OR can someone recommend a better source?

Edited by Phil B.

Bushy nose plecos are the best for that brown algae. That being said, algae is usually caused by some imbalance with lights and water parameters and nutrients. the trick is finding the right balance and keeping it stable. Good luck. 

Seems like I've been fighting the stuff for a good 8-10 months, and none of my java ferns seem to be thriving as a result. Thankfully my moss balls and Anubias (despite the brown splotches) seem to be fine. Goodness knows I've tried everything from Phosphate pillows, to plant fertilizers. Both of which I've discontinued.

Nitrates are already a little over 5.0 right out of the tap, but I suppose jumping from 50% to 80% per week wouldn't do any harm. :/ Wil have to check if any of the LFS have a Bristlenose.

Sounds like a plan. Lord knows I've tried just about everything else. I've always just assumed this stuff was diatoms rather than plant algae, and haven't messed with the lighting much.