Veiltail Shubunkin?

AquaAurora

Looking into shubunkin, thinking of getting bristol but saw veiltail shubunkin for sale on ebay and was curious about them.  Not very familiar with veiltails of the goldfish variety, do they get overly heavy tails and drag/swim less as they grow from the long finnage?

Anyone keep veiltail shubunkin have photos (prefer head on/side views, not above views)?

Shubunkins are defined as single tail. Do you mean they have tails like the veiltail goldfish variety or longer comet-like tails?

Shubunkins are defined as single tail. Do you mean they have tails like the veiltail goldfish variety or longer comet-like tails?

From the photo on ebay the veiltail shubunkin apepars to have a long single tail, I'm not too familiar with any veiltails in the goldfish family. I was curious if anyone had experience to know just how long a veiltail's caudal would get compared to non veiltail?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Live-Fish-7-5-Inch-Imported-Veiltail-Shubunkin-Goldfish-/252485916725?hash=item3ac9555835:g:aRIAAOSwbsBXoN5n

That just looks like a Japanese shubunkkin. They're still streamlined and will do great will any other singletails and any able-bodied fancies. I think they may be using "veiltail" instead of "Japanese/American" when defining the shubunkin type. It'll probably grow around the average length you'd see on a pet shop comet or shubunkin. Still, it's hard to determine.

Edited by hannah

In all honesty it just looks like a normal shubunkin to me. It's does have some nice fins and coloration though.

Sent from my Z963VL using Tapatalk

That just looks like a Japanese shubunkkin. They're still streamlined and will do great will any other singletails and any able-bodied fancies. I think they may be using "veiltail" instead of "Japanese/American" when defining the shubunkin type. It'll probably grow around the average length you'd see on a pet shop comet or shubunkin. Still, it's hard to determine.

Thank you both for the input!  I'm still leaning towards bristol shubunkins but I can't find them locally or sold as a 'what you see if what you get'.  But tanks aren't ready yet so I'll keep looking ^^

Rain garden sometimes has some for sale. Idk what the currently have though.

Thanks I'll give the site a look

Hmm they are all labeled simply as shubunkin and not noted as bristol or other.  I'd have to memorize specific caudal characteristics to tell from the photos which is which.

• Supporter

Before I had some labeled as Bristol. He may just not have any at the moment.

I took a look and did not see any of them. They do look quite different when you see them.

Maybe send him an email and see if he has any that is going to become available soon.

Ken at DO may also have some if you ask if will place some in the next auction if he has them.

Before I had some labeled as Bristol. He may just not have any at the moment.

I took a look and did not see any of them. They do look quite different when you see them.

Maybe send him an email and see if he has any that is going to become available soon.

Ken at DO may also have some if you ask if will place some in the next auction if he has them.

Oh I don't think I could afford 5-6 shubunkins from dandyoranda, the price range is a bit too steep for me. I've seen orandas auctions there for $100-150 each.  I'm hoping to hear back from Mr.Hates in OH, his Bristols would be more in my price range ^^

Edited by AquaAurora

Either the seller doesn't know what "veiltail" means or is trying to rip you off by misnaming a typical shubunkin much like you could get at Walmart.   A veiltail comes as close as possible to having no fork at all -- the tail is all one length.  Such fish do exist, but that is not one of them.

Yes, the long heavy tails of a regular (twin-tailed) veiltail do weigh the fish down.  I've seen a breeder brag that his 3 year old veiltails were  "still swimming."  A shubunkin with a normal comet tail -- like the one in the ad -- will not develop swimming problems. You can see some "comeils" here.  They have the bodies of a comet/shubunkin and the fins of a single-tail veil.