Sign in to follow this  
Joshua's Goldies

Bubbles is sick..... Help please

I noticed my fish Bubbles eyes where cloudy the other day and he seemed to spending more time at bottom but would come up at feeding time, then this morning I woke up to find him flipped over and lethargic at bottom. I moved him to a quartine tank 20g long provided him duckweed to eat...

Test Results for the Following:

* Ammonia Level(Tank) 0

* Nitrite Level(Tank) 0

* Nitrate level(Tank) 20

* Ammonia Level(Tap) .25

* Nitrite Level(Tap) 0

* Nitrate level(Tap) 0

* Ph Level, Tank 8

* Ph Level, Tap 8

Other Required Info:

* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API Drops

* Water temperature? Water 80 air 75-80

If you don't use a heater, give the the air temperature.

* Tank size (how many gals.) 100gal and 6 months running

* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? I use 2 - XL sponge filters ran each on their own feed from a whisper 100 air filter

* How often do you change the water and how much? Do a 80-90% water change every 5-7 days

* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 80% 2 days ago

* How many fish in the tank and their size? Butterfly telescopes 8 total (1-93g 1-96g 1-33g 1-36g 1-23g 1-37g 1-38g 1-28)

* What kind of water additives or conditioners? Seachem safe

* What do you feed your fish and how often? Three times a day I rotate a mixture of hatori sinking pellets 2-3G , homemade gel food 1"x3"X1/2" cut up into bite sized pieces, kens sinking earthworm stick 2-3G. I feed duckweed every 2-4 days and bloodworms every 4-7 days.

* Any new fish added to the tank? None

If you have added new fish in the past few months, indicate which ones, the duration of quarantine, and any treatments you used during quarantine.

* Any medications added to the tank? Prazi Powder .6 tablespoon

This includes any used recently or currently in the tank.

* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. None other than three rounds of prazi over the past three weeks as a preventive, this particular fish had a growth removed from tail months ago but recover fully and full tail grew back like normal.

* Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Cloudy eyes

List all physical symptoms.

* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? He is pooping, and still try's to swim when he sees me walk up, but is at the bottom of tank turned upside down. I have moved him to a 20g quartine tank with 4 Tablespoons of pickling salt.

image_zpsfmgyqtvf.jpeg

Hope Bubbles feels better.

So sorry to hear about Bubbles.

The mods will be by soon. In the meantime:

Can you get pictures of Bubbles' eyes?

What meds do you have on hand? Do you have Epsom Salt?

Also, with the amount of fish you have in your main tank, you'll want to do at least two large water changes per week. See link below for our guidelines for healthy goldfish.

Poor guy. He looks bloated to me. Hope the mods come along soon. This was the one with the tail issue, right?

Edited by mjfromga

So sorry to hear about Bubbles.

The mods will be by soon. In the meantime:

Can you get pictures of Bubbles' eyes?

What meds do you have on hand? Do you have Epsom Salt?

I have Epsom, metro, can get some amoxicillin, oxytetracycline

His eyes normally

83135cd40cef5b559801801d1d3ddc8e.jpg

Earlier today

76e2c48b802a57bef627f44dc21db0f3.jpg

He has since righted him self

1dcd0c728be3f42ed96fe4e977408c1a.jpg

His eyes

44048a5d845d2d07dc2dadd351406c6e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hang in there, Bubbles!

Poor guy. He looks bloated to me. Hope the mods come along soon. This was the one with the tail issue, right?

Yea he is the one who had the growth/tumor on his tail and doesn't look that bloated he has grown a lot...

Also, with the amount of fish you have in your main tank, you'll want to do at least two large water changes per week. See link below for our guidelines for healthy goldfish.

Thanks for he recommendation, I do keep very close watch on my water parameters. And never really have problems. I can probably move some fish around I over 300 gal of water to work with...

Okay, maybe he's just chunky then. I see Jared is here, and I'm sure he can help. Hang tight Bubbles, help is on the way.

Cloudy eyes are usually due to:

1) Water quality problems (usually ammonia)

2) A bacterial infection

3) Trauma

The fact that both eyes are affected, and coupled with the flipping over, makes me think there is a water quality issue.  The fact that he has righted himself after being put in fresh water supports this for me.  However, you say that you have tested and the parameters are good, so I'm unsure as to what is causing this.  The pristine water and the salt in the QT should help with the eyes.  You can certainly go up to 0.3% after 12 hours.  I would just observe him over night and see how he is tomorrow, making sure that the water quality is perfect in both tanks.  Let us know how he is tomorrow and we can see if antibiotics are necessary or not.

Edited by Jared

2) A bacterial infection

3) Trauma

The fact that both eyes are affected, and coupled with the flipping over, makes me think there is a water quality issue. The fact that he has righted himself after being put in fresh water supports this for me. However, you say that you have tested and the parameters are good, so I'm unsure as to what is causing this. The pristine water and the salt in the QT should help with the eyes. You can certainly go up to 0.3% after 12 hours. I would just observe him over night and see how he is tomorrow, making sure that the water quality is perfect in both tanks. Let us know how he is tomorrow and we can see if antibiotics are necessary or not.

thank you

He has since flipped back over

2) A bacterial infection

3) Trauma

The fact that both eyes are affected, and coupled with the flipping over, makes me think there is a water quality issue. The fact that he has righted himself after being put in fresh water supports this for me. However, you say that you have tested and the parameters are good, so I'm unsure as to what is causing this. The pristine water and the salt in the QT should help with the eyes. You can certainly go up to 0.3% after 12 hours. I would just observe him over night and see how he is tomorrow, making sure that the water quality is perfect in both tanks. Let us know how he is tomorrow and we can see if antibiotics are necessary or not.

thank you

You are welcome :)

In addition, I would like you to get a gram negative antibiotic such as Kanplex, Furan-2 or both...just in case this is a flexobacterial infection.

Edited by Jared

Okay, then definitely get the Kanaplex and the Furan-2 also if you can.

I can pick those up tomorrow I have metronidazole flakes I can soak and feed him with that help at all for tonight ?

2) A bacterial infection

3) Trauma

thank you

You are welcome :)

In addition, I would like you to get a gram negative antibiotic such as Kanplex, Furan-2 or both...just in case this is a flexobacterial infection.

You're in good hands with Jared and I agree completely. Clean water might be all that is needed but it would be good to have some solid gram negative antibiotics on hand. The Kanaplex and Furan 2 work extremely well together as a solid first treatment choice for the kind of infections that water quality issues may spark.

Thanks for he recommendation, I do keep very close watch on my water parameters. And never really have problems. I can probably move some fish around I over 300 gal of water to work with...

There are other dissolved solids (organic and inorganic) in the water that the traditional tests do not monitor. These dissolved solids can irritate the fish. The best way to reduce the total dissolved solids in the water is through water changes. Because you have more goldfish than what we recommend per gallon, the best way to deal with this is to reduce the number of fish in the tank or to do more frequent water changes.

Healing vibes to Bubbles!! You are in good hands with Jared.

I can pick those up tomorrow I have metronidazole flakes I can soak and feed him with that help at all for tonight ?

Let's hold off until tomorrow.  I would actually fast him for now.

Let's hold off until tomorrow. I would actually fast him for now.
Okies will do

I wanted to take the time to thank everyone for the help I had to euthanize my poor Bubbles, he got worse and on top of it all I got call that Moms cancer had took a turn for the worse the day after I posted this info... I had to travel to spend time with my Mother and family during her final days. I could not leave a sick fish like him in the care of my pet sitter.

Again I appreciate everyone's help wish I could have done more for Bubbles.

I wanted to take the time to thank everyone for the help I had to euthanize my poor Bubbles, he got worse and on top of it all I got call that Moms cancer had took a turn for the worse the day after I posted this info... I had to travel to spend time with my Mother and family during her final days. I could not leave a sick fish like him in the care of my pet sitter.

Again I appreciate everyone's help wish I could have done more for Bubbles.

Oh hun :hug to you and your family :)

Oh, no. Very sorry :(

Very sorry to hear this  :hug

Light, peace and love to you and your family. Rest in peace, dear Bubbles.