Zoo Med Frag Tank

http://zoomed.com/db/products/EntryDetail.php?EntryID=1651&DatabaseID=2&SearchID=67&SearchContext=YTo1OntzOjg6IlNlYXJjaElEIjtzOjI6IjY3IjtzOjEwOiJEYXRhYmFzZUlEIjtzOjE6IjIiO3M6ODoiS2V5d29yZHMiO3M6NzoibG93IGJveSI7czo4OiJTZWFyY2hfeCI7czoxOiIwIjtzOjg6IlNlYXJjaF95IjtzOjE6IjAiO30=

BFT-50F_Low_Boy_Frag_Tank_zpstk6s6qts.jp

I just saw a video on this tank and I thought it was pretty cool! I was thinking it would be awesome to use to set up a small indoor "pond" with a couple fancy goldfish. It's only like 10" tall so it would probably be too small for large goldfish, but I think a couple young orandas, fantails, or maybe ranchus would like it? Overall the dimensions are 48"x24"x10"

It would be awesome for young butterfly goldfish so you could view them from the top! 

Actually it would work well for any Goldfish. That tank could be the answer for some people with fish that has swim bladder problems also.

Sent from my Z963VL using Tapatalk

Good to know! I wasn't sure how much vertical space large goldfish need, but I can see how it would really help fish with swim bladder issues. 

I was picturing a huge round ryukin swimming along with his dorsal fin sticking out of the water like a shark, lol

Edit: I'll add some info, the tank looks like it costs around $135. It was only recently released by zoo med though so I'm not sure if you can find it easily yet.

They also sell terrariums in the exact same size but this particular version was designed to hold water.

Edited by xStatic

• Helper

One could make their own version of it oh of glass or acrylic without too much difficulty, too ;). Finding good tanks locally is very difficult and anything that needs fedex or ups delivery is an arm and a leg to ship up here.

$135 for a 50 gallon plain tank? Kinda pricey. Can't be obtained locally so that would have shipping added to it. It's a nice tank. And 10" is really not that short. A Ryukin would probably be only 4-5" at the top of the hump at max (huge Ryukin) and he'd still have plenty of room.

These are good points! I'm sure lots of people would be able to build this themselves for less (lots of saltwater people already build these frag tanks all the time). But for people like me (I *really* struggled with just resealing a tank on my own) the price might be worth it if you want something just like this. It sure would look a lot better than the plastic bins some have used to may indoor "pond" type setups. Zoo Med is saying that these can be ordered into stores that already carry Zoo Med stuff, so if you live near a PetSmart you could get it from them and I don't think you would have to pay any extra shipping. I'm not sure if Petco carries Zoo Med stuff? 

Obviously anyone on a budget would be better off picking up a 40B or something similar during a Petco $/gal sale. 

Yyesssss!!! My lfs has this, I think I've seen one even bigger (swear it was 80 gallons but i could be mistaken) and I've been in love with it ever since. :9

I would love it for top view type fish and also for a grow out tank. :)

It looks great and I've recently discovered I LOVE looking at fish from the top. If it weren't $135, I'd love to have one. The fact that its glass is nice because that makes it more durable and prettier than the plastic tubs many use for the "top view" of indoor fish.

I'm picturing a subtropical "river" set up with white cloud minnows and hillstream loaches!!!

Or could you imagine tosakins?!

I wish I was in the states.

Why is it called a Frag Tank?  I originally thought the *a* was a typo, but it's that way on the ZooMed label. 

Nice tank.  I prefer those proportions, and looks better for indoors than  my Rubbermaid tubs.  Would maybe look good on a sturdy wheeled base under a glass table?  Yup, some blue bubbles would fit in there.  Butterflies too.  I've read that Tosakins are supposed to be in round containers (something to do with the swimming??), but that could be a good display for them as well.

Thanks for posting.

I'm going to consider one of these.

Edited by Distaff

• Helper

Why is it called a Frag Tank? I originally thought the *a* was a typo, but it's that way on the ZooMed label.

Nice tank. I prefer those proportions, and looks better for indoors than my Rubbermaid tubs. Would maybe look good on a sturdy wheeled base under a glass table? Yup, some blue bubbles would fit in there. Butterflies too. I've read that Tosakins are supposed to be in round containers (something to do with the swimming??), but that could be a good display for them as well.

Thanks for posting.

Coral fragments are often called frags for short hand. They're grown under intense light in shallow water for the best results. Edited by Arctic Mama

• Admin

Why is it called a Frag Tank? I originally thought the *a* was a typo, but it's that way on the ZooMed label.

Nice tank. I prefer those proportions, and looks better for indoors than my Rubbermaid tubs. Would maybe look good on a sturdy wheeled base under a glass table? Yup, some blue bubbles would fit in there. Butterflies too. I've read that Tosakins are supposed to be in round containers (something to do with the swimming??), but that could be a good display for them as well.

Thanks for posting.

Coral fragments are often called frags for short hand. They're grown under intense light in shallow water for the best results.

They are really neat to watch grow and some need alot of current :)

Omg so want that tank!! but not at that price x.x (too frugal)

Wish I could find a glass cutting place close that woudl return my calls with a quote!

Agree. My Nericon is all swim bladdery anyway and I just love the look of this tank. Wish it wasn't so expensive. Totally would buy one if it wasn't.

Maybe it will be part of a dollar/gallon sale somewhere?

Sent from my Z963VL using Tapatalk

I would LOVE that!  I manged to get 2 75gs at petco at a dollar per a gallon last week (they aren't suppose to carry 75gs but the store accidentally got some, so lucky me!) however they were Aqueon tanks not ZooMed.  I've no seen a ZooMed aquariums  (have seen vivs and terrariums) at petco.  But mine is not a jumbo store, a big store in a major city could have them?

I'm just hoping in a year or 2 the price will drop to something more reasonable (or someone will sell a used one on ebay/cregslist that is close by).