Help please. Raised scales, ick, ammonia burn...

It's most likely an injury from the filter intake.  The second possibility is a bacterial cyst which isn't serious and will probably resolve itself.  The third and least likely is epistylis.  Let's just observe for a day or so.  No need to stress :)

Now that the Ich is gone, you can just flush the python with very hot water after each water change.  You don't need to bleach it daily. 

Ok thanks so much! So, because of the injury/cyst, should I keep her in the oxytetracycline longer (because it's day 10)?

Also, I don't know why I didn't see you reply earlier... I was on mobile... maybe that was it.

You can extend the Oxytetracycline to 14 days if you are concerned about the raised scale.

Edited by Jared

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just an update. Numbers are obnoxiously consistent, with occasional trace nitrite & nitrate. I'm trying not to obsess over the ammonia but It's tough.

The lesion looked a little ugly and bloody yesterday but it seems to be getting better. Definitely less red. It's not spreading so that makes me happy.

Tomorrow is day 14 of the oxytetracycline. I'm assuming I need to stop it after tomorrow's w/c... she's spent a long time in medicated water.

Just an update. Numbers are obnoxiously consistent, with occasional trace nitrite & nitrate. I'm trying not to obsess over the ammonia but It's tough.

The lesion looked a little ugly and bloody yesterday but it seems to be getting better. Definitely less red. It's not spreading so that makes me happy.

Tomorrow is day 14 of the oxytetracycline. I'm assuming I need to stop it after tomorrow's w/c... she's spent a long time in medicated water.

Remember, the ammonia isn't going to lessen until the oxytetracycline is done. 

Is the lesion the raised scale in the last pics?  

Yes, I think we need to stop the meds or risk kidney damage.  Just keep the water super clean.  Make sure the sponge filter doesn't get too dirty.  Dirt doesn't = good bacteria.  It's okay to rinse it in a bucket of tank (not tap) water.

How we doing?

Really well!!! I didn't want to say anything too early because of reasons, but so far so good. I believe it's day 5 with no medication at all and she is very active and hungry. When I look from the top, I don't see flawlessly perfect flat scales but it could also be my severe paranoia. I see no reason to act on it.

The ammonia situation is calming down. I've been doing w/c's every other day with Prime added on the off day because we're at about .5 instead of 1-2.

Should I use the "Stability" or see if it will cycle on its own? I'm getting just above 0 amounts of nitrate and nitrite.