Help please. Raised scales, ick, ammonia burn...

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, and if we are successful, remember the new 2016 Kokos Caveat:

All cute ranchus that are cured with Jared's help must be sent to him for his personal collection  :rules:

:rofl

This! is why I don't have a cute ranchu. ;)

All cute ranchus that are cured with Jared's help must be sent to him for his personal collection  :rules:

Hahahaha. At least she'd be in good hands? But I must warn you, the tank is heavily guarded :)

Ok this is what he got

Ammonia .50

Nitrate .25

Nitrite 0

pH 7.4

Temp 73

He also rinsed the filter sponge and said it was pretty gross... so maybe that'll make a difference. Idk how it got nasty, the tank hasn't even been set up for that long. I try not to rinse it too often while trying to cycle. Should he go back to feeding a little bit of regular pellets?

Hahahaha. At least she'd be in good hands? But I must warn you, the tank is heavily guarded :)

Ok this is what he got

Ammonia .50

Nitrate .25

Nitrite 0

pH 7.4

Temp 73

He also rinsed the filter sponge and said it was pretty gross... so maybe that'll make a difference. Idk how it got nasty, the tank hasn't even been set up for that long. I try not to rinse it too often while trying to cycle. Should he go back to feeding a little bit of regular pellets?

The dirty sponge filter could definitely be contributing to the ammonia problem.  It's okay to rinse it regularly, just do it in a bucket of tank water (not tap).  You're probably not going to make much progress with the cycle anyway until we are done with the oxytetracycline.  It's more important to keep the sponge filter as clean as possible.  

I would only feed her a few pellets once a day until we have the ammonia under control.  Pre-soak them in water before feeding them to her.  

Very good point about the sponge. My husband's name is Jared as well, so you guys must be on the same page lol.

I told him about the soaked pellets and he will give me water numbers tonight. Unfortunately he's incredibly sick (WHAT IS GOING ON IN MY HOME?!) so it may be a little late.

UGH I AM SO STINKING FRUSTRATED RIGHT NOW. *deep breath* Ok. I'm done yelling :)

Ammonia 2.0

Nitrate Not quite 0

Nitrite .25

pH 7.4

Temp 75

He said he fed her two pellets this morning and three this afternoon. He's a stingy feeder so I do believe him.

The only thing that changed from the last day of .25 ammonia to the day of 1-2.0 ammonia was that I added the air disc. Should I have him take it out? I don't see how that would make any difference but I'm running out of ideas :(

I would just continue to do the daily 100% water changes and add a double dose of Prime each time.  That should neutralize the 2.0 ammonia for 24 hours.

How many days has she been on the Oxytetracycline?

How are the symptoms?

Okay, so we want to got to at least 10 days and until all red spots are gone.   Once that is done, we can focus on the cycle.  The Oxytetracycline is going to prevent the tank from cycling, so don't worry about cycling until after the 10 days.

You might want to try Seachem Stability once the Oxytetracycline is done.  It may help cycle the tank faster.

http://www.seachem.com/stability.php

Edited by Jared

Ammonia .75

Nitrate 0

Nitrite 0

pH 7.4

Temp 75

She looks great. I do still see a bit of a spot in front of her tail but otherwise I'm pleased.

I just got home and those were the readings I got before another 100% w/c. I placed the order for the Seachem Stability, it will be here on Tuesday.

Should I keep reporting levels to you daily (unless something looks horrible) or wait a couple days and give an update?

Great news.  Wednesday is day 10 of the Oxytetracycline, so let's check in then to decide whether or not to stop it.  Other than that, just keep testing for ammonia and nitrite daily, doing the 100% water changes and adding Oxytetracycline and double Prime daily.

Edited by Jared

Ok perfect. I also realized I worded a sentence in my last reply completely wrong. Horse show hangovers, man... they kill my ability to put words in the correct order.

I'll check in on Wednesday unless something really nasty happens, in that case I'll post right away :) Thanks for hanging in there with Clementine and me. She really appreciates it.

Um. Hi.

I know you probably hate me by now but I swear I'm doing everything we're agreeing to do. I haven't missed a water change since that one time all heck broke loose, the python is sanitized daily, I even tested the water right after the water change (before and after adding the oxytetracycline, just in case) yesterday to make sure I wasn't just dumping ammonia or other crap in the tank.

I think she has a fungus.

Late last night I noticed a scale looked like it was about to come off so I figured she'd bumped into the filter intake or something but since she is in the medicated water, I knew that would keep any boo boos from getting too bad.

Well, this morning I noticed that it looked like something white was pushing the scale up but I didn't have time to take pictures. I left the house for a few hours to ride a couple clients horses and when I came home, the white thing pushing the scale up definitely looks fuzzy.

image_zpsasf5ylux.jpeg

image_zpsudhbkoky.jpeg

image_zpsvnrxfj7b.jpeg

Her mouth looks funny in one of them because I had to feed her to get her to be still long enough for me to get a halfway decent picture.

The water numbers haven't changed... nothing has changed.

I'm so sorry. I really really really wanted this to be over.

Ok... I really wish she would just be still for 5 seconds so I could get a good look. Now I'm second guessing the fuzziness AND the white stuff pushing the scale up. Now it just looks like a scale is about to come off and she's a little bloody where it's pulling away.

Should I give it a little bit of time or figure out a way to get a really good look at it? Ugh, I'm sorry... I'm trying so hard to do the right thing.

It's most likely an injury from the filter intake.  The second possibility is a bacterial cyst which isn't serious and will probably resolve itself.  The third and least likely is epistylis.  Let's just observe for a day or so.  No need to stress :)

Now that the Ich is gone, you can just flush the python with very hot water after each water change.  You don't need to bleach it daily. 

It's most likely an injury from the filter intake.  The second possibility is a bacterial cyst which isn't serious and will probably resolve itself.  The third and least likely is epistylis.  Let's just observe for a day or so.  No need to stress :)

Now that the Ich is gone, you can just flush the python with very hot water after each water change.  You don't need to bleach it daily. 

Ok thanks so much! So, because of the injury/cyst, should I keep her in the oxytetracycline longer (because it's day 10)?

Also, I don't know why I didn't see you reply earlier... I was on mobile... maybe that was it.