Daniel E.

Weird white stuff on plants. What is this?

Just as the title says. What is this?

It started popping up shortly after my last Goldfish died.

307167b9fe8e9d547beef0f82a642ae6.jpg

Sent from my Z963VL using Tapatalk

Huh - I've seen something similar on new driftwood and such. It's a biofilm. But I wouldn't expect it in an established tank. Weird!

How odd! I've only seen white stuff on driftwood and rubber suction cups, and not on plants. Maybe it is a white fungus of some sort. I would take the plant out and disinfect it with bleach. Is it showing up on anything else?

It's all over the tank. On plastic stuff, all the plants, and even on some of the rock.

I had something like this grow on the roots of my anubias and over the driftwood once :o

i had it under my driftwood too. it regrew after every waterchange. i don't think it's biofilm.. it took quite a while (months) on bleaching the driftwood with every weekly waterchange before that stuff stopped coming back.. horrible stuff. almost looked like snot when it came out of the water...  :thumbdown

I looks as though it might have been Algae at one point cause the way its round the edges of the plant... Looks as though it dying and turning into a mold or something.... I would try and clean that out of there hun :)

I'm thinking about doing a complete tare down and nuking the tank. Since I have no fish left at all anymore :(

If you have no fish, I would nuke everything too.

I'm sorry for the loss of your fish.

Edited by LisaCGold

Thanks yeah it's been rough ever since I moved.

I may get more later after I figure out why everything has went down hill.

I was going to say it looked like mold... But underwater mold? Is that a thing? I've rolled over juicy, rotten logs outside and they had this same white stuff with lots of roley poley bugs underneath so maybe it is mold?

Thanks everyone.

Do you all think I could save the plants or would it be better just to get rid of them?

I'd do a potassium permanganate or bleach dip and then run them in the cleaned system and see how they do.

Poor planties I hope they can recover!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm going to get rid of them :( the leaves seem to be starting to decay.

That one anubias that I posted the pic of is well I've a foot tall.

Ooh, a very tall Anubias! Healing plant vibes to it!

If there is decay, it WAS probably mold. Sorry :(

That's really weird. I've seen slime mould in an aquarium, but nothing like this stuff.

Daniel, if you haven't chucked it yet, cut all the leaves off and keep the rhizome. Provided that's still healthy it will regrow with time. :)

I read this thread and I have a slightly different looking thing but it certainly looks relative, any advice or comments on this thing would be appreciated.

I haven't added anything new, I do have an abundance of nitrates that I still have not been able to cut down enough, Ive been too busy to do really big water changes.

the way it looks like its grown out from a central hub makes me suspect it is some kind of fungal mycellium.

the idea of under water mushrooms almost makes me want to let it grow and see if it has some kind of fruit/ reproductive body.

I'm going to take it out though because the snail pictured eating the black/green algae got to that spot and busted a U-E

IMG_7618.thumb.jpeg.12aef1cc560e1c1b8a389209322709b0.jpegIMG_7617.thumb.jpeg.ff9837f2ba0a32d0b89ba507bada69e9.jpeg

Well I haven't seen that before. Looks like a dead leaf from my end. Is this coming from a sword plant?

On 9/27/2020 at 11:32 AM, J.Allen said:

It’s a “German” sword plant 

Hows it looking now? Any changes?