Sign in to follow this  
AquaAurora

Wood trim vrs black trim.. repile vrs aquarium tank?

So growing up I was taught:

black trim on a tank= built to handle water pressure aka fish tank.

wood trim on a tank=not built to handle water pressure aka reptile tank, don't fill with water.

Is this still true?

I see a lot of used aquariums for sale on cregslist with wood trim that I shy away from thinking they aren't built to handle water pressure, and being large 100+g tanks I don't' want to buy one that' going to burst when filled because its not built to take the water pressure and leave me with a giant nightmarish mess!

Do any of you have wood trimmed goldfish tanks (large tanks)? How long have they been running? No bowing/leaks?

Edited by AquaAurora

My first tanks were wood trim.  I hate you can't hardly find them anymore.  I have nothing black in my house. lol Except the fish tanks.  All my other stuff is wood.

My 125 gallon tank has wood trim and has been running for about 9 months with no problems.

I just thought the change in trim color was due to a shifting aesthetics over the years...  But now that I think about it I do see a lot of reptile tanks with wood trim.  :hummm

I think the most important thing to look for is glass thickness and bracing. 

No, that's not an accurate rule. Look at the thickness of the glass and bracing to tell if it is an aquarium or terrarium. Trim color is inconsequential.

If it is heavy, built sturdy, and it holds water when you test it, I expect you will be fine. 

Reptile people still using tanks like 20 gallon longs, and 40 gallon longs, and if they buy new, it is usually at the Petco Dollar-per-Gallon like everyone else.  Actually, aside from vented Zoo Med and Exo terra front door vivs, glass enclosures have very much fallen out of favour with reptile keepers - at least on the forums I've been on.  They could be out there, but I haven't run into any retail reptile grade aquarium-like tanks. 

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, and maybe please point out tell-tale details for id? 

Most of the enclosure market for the snakes and lizards is plastic tubs.  Breeders prefer rack systems now, and many hobbyists like the convenience too. I think it provides a dull environment for the animal, but basic husbandry parameters and good sanitation are easier to achieve with them, so most of these animals are probably better off healthwise.

I've never heard of wood trim vs. black trim for ID.

Edited by Distaff

I have a wood grain aquarium that I got second-hand, and it's holding fine. :)  I've had it... 2 years now?  The wood trim didn't go with my house, and I was too scared paint would scratch off, so I put a patterned "duct" tape on it, and that's also holding up well! :D

Wait a munite . . .

OP (and everyone else),  Do you mean actual wood trim, or just the plastic trim that's made to look like wood grain?

Edited by Acro

I agree with, Taryl. Unless it were an older tank, I don't think trim would have too great a role in anything. Nowadays it is really just decorative.

Edited by dan in aus

Wait a munite . . .

OP (and everyone else), Do you mean actual wood trim, or just the plastic trim that's made to look like wood grain?

Oh! Mine is plastic made to look like wood.

Sent using Tapatalk

Oak colored plastic.

Thank you all for the replies! And duct tape ftw!

I filled an old 90 gallon wood trim looking tank once and it held fine.