Stuff the ballot box!

DIY Fishkeeper/Joey King of DIY is considering fancy goldfish for his prior arowana tank. He has a poll on his latest you tube video.

If you haven't heard of him he has great DIY videos and even if your not into that he puts out a great production. Worth checking out!

Check it out and vote for fancies!

• Helper

He has fun videos. I'm not sure I'd encourage him to keep fancies unless he understood their care requirements ahead of time, though! I am not a huge fan of putting pet decisions up for a vote :o

I respect your opinion and concerns but from what I have seen of his fish husbandry and experience with multiple species I would personally have absolutely zero concerns that he would not be able to properly care for goldfish.

In fact I think that if he did he would bring lot of valuable information about them and proper their care to his large subscribed audience.

Even if you do not vote I think the video would be highly enjoyable for any fishkeeper here.

• Helper

Oh I know he has good husbandry practices, but goldfish are very different than his usual species selection and there is a ton of poor information out there. Not every species is suitable for every keeper and I wouldn't expect a catfish or malawi cichlid keeper to necessarily translate their skillset over to a highly bred ornamental carp without work and w big paradigm shift. The best practices for those species are entirely different.

He is totally capable of it but it's not a given, even with a skilled and experienced keeper. Basing a serious decision on a poll isn't something I favor or would of personally encourage, but the outcome is entirely up to him as it is any pet owner :)

I started watching watching him for the aquarium builds, since the techniques are useful for vivariums.  Then I was looking at Dustin's Fish Tanks, Rachael O'leary, Ted's fish room, The Green Machine....

I like the other fish, but I don't think about them all the time. 

Not sure why, just...is.

Would be VERY surprised if Joey (or what ever his real name is) went with goldies.  That he is even considering it, suggests the decision would be made to increase subscribers.  Not sure what percentage of aquarists are exclusively gold fish fanciers.  He has said he has no interest in a salt water tank.

Anyway, I'll have to watch the video.

Edited by Distaff

OK, watched the posted video.  (Didn't now he was considering salt for that step tank.  He had an old video with a guy who kept marine fish, and said he would stay with fresh water)  Anyway, that big tank looks like it would be a pain to maintain for goldfish.  The effect would be gorgeous, but the top is very high - needs a step-stool to lean over into it. 

Not my problem, but until he works out issues with the tank holding the arowana with the school of companion fish, I'd say he should hold off on goldfish.   Frankly, to me that thank looks overstocked.  I'd probably put those smaller fish into the tank he is thinking of for gold fish.  They would look pretty there and not be so stressed.

Edited by Distaff

Fancy goldfish can have floating issues that Arowana, Discus, Cichlids etc are not prone to, they are really just extremely different and I'd truly suggest he stick to the kinds of fish he's used to. This isn't saying that he'd be a poor fishkeeper, but just that he's more informed etc. about the other species. But if he does get fancies, I'd love to see them in his large tank.

Edited by mjfromga

• 2 weeks later...

I'm just glad he and his kids enjoy them and said "don't care what others think, keep fish you enjoy".

Wish I could get my hands on that big of a tank but i already have 2 new large tanks to work on, don't need any more!

Edited by AquaAurora

Yay!  I thought it was a great video with

...goldfish (!!!)

...a great tank

...and a great message!

Goldfish are such fun happy fish!  I can't wait to see more of his videos updating us on them!