do bettas need natural light?

fishy

Hi, I wanted to get some opinions on having a betta in an office that doesn't have any windows. Is it okay or not a good idea? My initial thought is not having natural light is not ideal. Any thoughts are appreciated, thanks.

They do fine without natural light from a window.  I have 4 betas on my desk (and my husband has 1 on his) in the office which gets no sunlight.  I put cfl and LED lights over the tanks since I grow live plants in these tanks, but the betta will be perfectly fine in a tank with just the overhead office light for illumination.  They actually prefer tanks with shade/light diffusion instead of very bright tanks.

Thanks for the information. I have a weather loach in the office & he's been fine for a couple years (he's a very hardy fish) but I wasn't sure about the bettas. Thanks again.

Thanks for the information. I have a weather loach in the office & he's been fine for a couple years (he's a very hardy fish) but I wasn't sure about the bettas. Thanks again.

Happy to help ^^

Weather loaches get pretty big, what size tank do you have it in?

Hi, I'm pretty sure it's a weather loach but it may be a golden dojo. It is on the smaller side, doesn't have stripes, maybe 2-3 inches long. He (or she) is in a 10 gallon glass, heated, and filtered aquarium with sand substrate & a bridge to hang out under. I say he's hardy because when I inherited him/her from my nephew, the poor fish had been in a 10 gallon tank with 2 inches of water above the gravel. The 2 other fish in there died so they took the tank down except for the gravel & small amount of water, left it outside for a few days & when they went to dump it noticed movement (they thought he had previously died). When I got the semi taken down tank with the fish, the water was black. It literally looked as black as sewer water. If he/she made it through that, I consider him/her a hardy fish :)

Glad they're hardy but they're gonna need an upgrade.

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/misgurnus-anguillicaudatus/

A tank with a base measuring 120cm x 45cm or more is necessary for long-term care

that's 48"x18" foot print for a tank!

fish gets to

200 – 280 mm.

that's an 11" fish!

Thanks for the loach info, he/she definitely needs an upgrade :) I think maybe I'll do a more long tank seeing as how they are more bottom dwelling.